Beats Ends Relationship With HTC

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like HTC is done with Beats. Now that the headphone maker has bought back all the stock HTC owned, Dr. Dre and the crew will be looking for new investors wanting to break into the overpriced flimsy headphones business.

The Wall Street Journal reported last month that the maker of the popular Beats by Dr. Dre headphones was looking to buy out its Asian partner and bring in a new investor that can provide it with fresh funds for growth.

Beats sound horrible to me, with a lot of distorted low ends, and really flat high ends. I also experienced a constant loud static whine with noise cancellation that approximated 18khz pitch

Given how popular they were, but how shitty i found them to sound, i began to wonder if black people hear sounds different than white people. Im a quarter algerian, and three quarter european. but I found the sounds really distorted compared to other 200$ headphones. As if they were a $30 pair.

Maybe Apple should buy them. They could rename them iBeat.
The over rated/over prices headphone would b a good fit with the rest of the iProducts.

The over rated/over prices headphone would b a good fit with the rest of the iProducts.

oh god, that would make sense... /scared to see this happen

The studio pro headphones don't sound too bad...

But you can get better quality, and deeper lows (abiet not as pronounced) with a 160$ set of ATH-M50s'.

"The moves come as the founders of Beats Electronics LLC--music mogul Jimmy Iovine and American hip-hop producer and artist Andre Young, better known as Dr. Dre--are broadening the company's business from headphones to include speakers, audio systems in cars....."

So in the near future you'll be able to buy a 300W beats audio system in a Ford Focus for an extra $2499? :rolleyes:

Beats sound horrible to me, with a lot of distorted low ends, and really flat high ends. I also experienced a constant loud static whine with noise cancellation that approximated 18khz pitch

Given how popular they were, but how shitty i found them to sound, i began to wonder if black people hear sounds different than white people. Im a quarter algerian, and three quarter european. but I found the sounds really distorted compared to other 200$ headphones. As if they were a $30 pair.

mmm, nope. pretty sure if black people were the only ones buying them they wouldnt be able to maintain that price point...just not enough black people in that target demographic to support it. I noticed I dont see kids wearing them everywhere anymore either, they seem to have gone back to plain white earbuds :confused: spend a $150 on these and dump them after a couple of seasons?

"The moves come as the founders of Beats Electronics LLC--music mogul Jimmy Iovine and American hip-hop producer and artist Andre Young, better known as Dr. Dre--are broadening the company's business from headphones to include speakers, audio systems in cars....."

So in the near future you'll be able to buy a 300W beats audio system in a Ford Focus for an extra $2499? :rolleyes:

just another crappy stock car audio system...wonder if it will suck worse than Bose? why cant companies just get with JL or Alpine and put out a good stock system?

Based on how these things work, it'll probably just be a $2500 upgrade included when you get the [feature you really want]. If they're good at making deals, it'll be $2500 included whenever you buy a [car you want]. It'd be nice if car manufacturers would just sell the car with a gaping hole where the head unit goes, so you could add it yourself, without the expense of paying for one you don't want.

If you consider Dr. Dre's target audience, is it any wonder they sound like crap? All those idiots listen to is "THUD THUD THUUUUUUUUUUUD" over and over.

Given how popular they were, but how shitty i found them to sound, i began to wonder if black people hear sounds different than white people.

I would say anyone that listens to heavy bass thump crap hears sound differently than people that do not. Why, you may ask? They've damaged their hearing, especially in the low frequency range. That's why headphones with extremely loud bass and everything else sounding weak sounds "good" to them, and why it sounds like garbage to everyone else. It's the same reason old people - usually factory workers - turn the TV way up and turn the balance all the way to treble - they've lost the upper range of their hearing because of the high frequency noise from the machines.

I actually like Beats for one reason - if people are going around with those on they're not blasting it out of their crappy little Honda Civics with half a ton of speakers in the trunk and waking people up from sound sleep or otherwise annoying the piss out of them. The fart can exhausts are bad enough without that racket. That Dr. Dre has been making a killing from turning his audience half deaf with crappy headphones is delightfully ironic. Let the little bastards lose their hearing. Anyone that listens to that shit and blasts it out loud enough to torment everyone else because they have to be dicks about it deserves whatever deafness they inflict on themselves.

Went to Shanghai and they sold Beats headphones without the "b" on the side, they were 35 RMB. I was with my friend who had almost identical ones but glossy and red while the knock off was matte black. We compared them on the same iPhone with the same song; there was very little quality difference. I'm assuming because the demo pair was out in the humidity the entire summer.

I would never buy anything with blatant celebrity endorsement.

Err, low frequencies, even at high SPL, are far less likely to damage hearing than high frequencies.

I'll stay off your lawn, though.

No, it just proves that good marketing can sell over priced shit to the masses because self image > actual quality.

hah beats -- nothing but a "Nike/Air Jordan" for your head.

Get stupid kids to think they are "the bomb" and charge a crazy price for something they THINK is the best in the industry. *cough* iphone *cough*

Dr. Dre is laughing all the way to the bank at the droves of young retards that buy this crap.

+1 on the car manufacturers bundling the things you really want with some shit you don't want.

my 05 RX8 GT was was bundled with bose -- I thought it was great for a week or two after I started doing some research and listened to some other systems. Built my own for way way cheaper and much better quality. After that I learned to hate bose - overpriced paper cone bullshit.

my 08 Z06 - had no choice but for it to come with Bose -- I ripped that crap out almost within the first week and installed a nice boston acoustic system and image dynamics sub.

Sadly - i sold all teh fun toys off and have a mortgage now.

I have an HTC with "beats". I tried to listen to music on it one time and it about blew out my eardrums, which is saying something after spending years listening to Hornets doing full power turns. Good riddance.

just another crappy stock car audio system...wonder if it will suck worse than Bose? why cant companies just get with JL or Alpine and put out a good stock system?

Because for the cost to develop a product for the specific car(integrating speakers into the dash and such), it's not worth it. The auto makers go cheap and sell "bose" at a high markup. They won't be able to pull that off with JL or Alpine without charging more. Plus, the customers who actually do know the difference may not necessarily want the components that JL or Alpine would include in an integrated system and would likely be able to pay less getting it done aftermarket or simply getting better components to start with.

Beats Audio software on Android really is terrible, all it is would be a huge boost to low range stuff, so unless you're listening to rap or dub step it sounds like shit.
DSP Manager is superior in every way, you can filter and boost sound levels and use an adjustable equalizer with presets or adjust to your preference. Why it hasn't become a standard yet is beyond me because it just makes sense (like front facing speakers).
Don't care much for their headphones or ear buds either, prefer Sennheiser headphones and ear buds myself.
But hey, to each his own.

Just like that lousy marketing company Monster and all the junk they peddle, Beats are just as bad.

Garbage and techno babble pushing below average gear on stupid people.

Monster actually had its place providing high quality emf shielded cables and wires when we were still analog.
But now that almost everything is digital there's no point to them anymore.

Monster never had a place other than in easily persuaded peoples Best Buy quality gear. Educated audio audiophiles never touched Monster trash. Oxygen enriched nitrogen injected gold plated positively charged...

Suckers and their money

No, it just proves that good marketing can sell over priced shit to the masses because self image > actual quality.

zZekMqZ.jpg

plus Apple could sue everyone that says "i beat you at..."

I just don't get the "Beats" thing. Its basically a glorified equalizer setting. Now, my HTC One does sound great for a phone, but that is more due to the fact it has a decent speaker (for a phone) and even a small amp. I can turn Beats off and it still sounds great.

Beats Audio software on Android really is terrible, all it is would be a huge boost to low range stuff, so unless you're listening to rap or dub step it sounds like shit.
DSP Manager is superior in every way, you can filter and boost sound levels and use an adjustable equalizer with presets or adjust to your preference. Why it hasn't become a standard yet is beyond me because it just makes sense (like front facing speakers).
Don't care much for their headphones or ear buds either, prefer Sennheiser headphones and ear buds myself.
But hey, to each his own.

Its nothing special, its a set of software that forces over equalization of music that drowns out high's to make the lows seem more pronounced. Its a terrible way of doing things and I wish it was easier to remove it from HTC phones. My laptop came installed with that garbage and I uninstalled it first before all the other bloatware.

Also this has to do with the beats software, not so much with their hardware. I don't get why people love these headphones. I don't think they look that good, clearly overly priced and offer terrible build quality. But yet people will sit there and brag about them non stop.

LOL For all you haters....

My HTC Rezound came with some pretty cool headphones compared with the standard iPhone headphone crap (no extra cost as in Free).

Also the sound from my phone was better than anything at the time (2 years ago). Now with Jellybean and up the Android OS has many options to sound just as good.

I'm running 4.2.2. on my Rezound and sounds great without beats, and my 2 year old CPU is just about as fast as the brand spanking new Moto X.

LOL For all you haters....

My HTC Rezound came with some pretty cool headphones compared with the standard iPhone headphone crap (no extra cost as in Free).

Also the sound from my phone was better than anything at the time (2 years ago). Now with Jellybean and up the Android OS has many options to sound just as good.

I'm running 4.2.2. on my Rezound and sounds great without beats, and my 2 year old CPU is just about as fast as the brand spanking new Moto X.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. :rolleyes:

I wonder of those Beats sound as bad as the crap Razer is selling.

I wonder of those Beats sound as bad as the crap Razer is selling.

Razer has some good head phones, but they are very over priced. Beats sound better then anything skullcandy produces that's for sure :D

Just like that lousy marketing company Monster and all the junk they peddle, Beats are just as bad.

Which makes sense as Beats was started by the Monster Cable guys to rip-off headphone buyers, the same way they were ripping off cable buyers.

Back