AMD and RAPTR Together

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hot on the heels of the GeForce Experience application, is Dennis "Thresh" Phong's company called RAPTR, that will be powering AMD's solution to getting your optimal video settings per game. RAPTR will detect your games installed. The application will build a FPS histogram of your actual gameplay and that data is sent to RAPTR cloud where the data is compared to analyze and figure out the best video settings. One click to optimize, just like GeForce Experience.

Here's the full press release:

Raptr and AMD today unveiled the AMD Gaming Evolved App Powered by Raptr, which was designed to make PC gaming as simple to use as consoles. The App will enable AMD users to get the most out of their gaming experience by suggesting customized optimal game settings for their rigs, earn real rewards just for playing games, and have instant access to in-game tools such as broadcasting live video via Twitch, taking screenshots, web browsing, and chat.

With a single click in the app's Control Center, gamers will be able to optimize their games based on performance, quality or a balance of both for their AMD hardware. Optimal game settings are determined using system and game data captured from millions of PCs stored in Raptr's Cloud combined with extensive testing of various combinations of GPUs, CPUs, and resolutions. The Control Center will also be the hub for gamers to access Raptr's tens of thousands of dedicated game communities for the latest discussions, streams, and more.

Last edited:
Sadly very true, there are a lot of games where you have to do that. Guildwars 2 is a good example.

I doubt this will be useful for the majority of AMD 6000-series owners.

Before I owned a succession of 6850's and 6870's, it would have never occurred to me that disabling/lowering to nothingness Shadows was the way to great framerates.

Never heard of Raptr, It seems like yet another useless messaging utility like X-fire. Make your own AMD? Man we have enough junk running in the background already.

GameRanger is actually useful and better than them all without all the social networking gayness.

Dennis "Thresh" Phong is a has been..like Fatality..

(Make PC gaming as simple to use as consoles)
It's a PC not a console. Dumb/lazy people need not apply. Really..tuning games and PC hardware is brain dead easy anyway come on..

(tens of thousands of dedicated game communities)
Hu? never heard of any of them..

pass

I wonder how much personal information and data this app going to collect (steal) besides just the hardware and games you have installed?

Nvidia user here. I say things are finally going in the right direction, where one vendor come up with something, others come up with something equally good or even better. AMD has been disappointing for a while now, and things seems to go in the right direction now. SLI has its own problems, for starter each driver installation disable SLI as well as resetting refresh rate. Frame pacing is horribly late, but it is better than not coming at all and hopefully, it will get better.

As to Geforce Experience, it is nothing more than a gimmick. I was expecting it to also optimizes the actual game profile within the driver, which is one of the first thing you need to mess with on SLI setup. Without that, the only purpose of Geforce Experience is to remind users to update their drivers. As to in-game settings, it is so far off optimal with SLI that it isn't even funny. To add insult to injuries, GE doesn't talk to the driver so games gets detected by GE doesn't mean the game profile fires when the game launches.

Game optimization goes beyond just modifying in-game visual settings, and in-game settings are not where people have difficulties with. If AMD get address what GE lacks, then it can add values to their video cards, and force Nvidia to build something better.

As to Geforce Experience, it is nothing more than a gimmick. I was expecting it to also optimizes the actual game profile within the driver, which is one of the first thing you need to mess with on SLI setup. Without that, the only purpose of Geforce Experience is to remind users to update their drivers.

That would've been killer, and its useless without it.

FPS based benchmark... and we all know FPS can lie

If its a community program running in the background but it also logs your FPS I find that pretty cool.

I haven't used RAPTR in a while, I'll have to see if its still the buggy mess it was a while back :D as in, it would sit there after you attempted to launch the game, except the game would never launch :(

Back