4.2” Computer is Intel’s First Raspberry Pi Competitor

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Intel has jumped feet first into the mini computer world popularized by the Raspberry Pi. Of course Intel had to play a bit of one-upmanship to all of the other mini-computers already on the market to carve a niche for itself: Just think Intel's Atom Processor. :cool:

Could be very nice...

I have a NUC HTPC... if this is anything like that, it will rock.

Doesn't really seem much smaller than the countless Atom powered netbooks we've seen over the years. *shrugs*

Off topic, but dude needs to shave his head and his neckbeard, stick with a mini-goat.

At a cost of $200, this is nowhere near a RasPi competitor.

How is it like the Raspberry Pi? How is $200 affordable and anywhere near the $35 Pi price? For that kind of price there's more choices.

What's the difference between this and every other mini-itx board?

ummm... size?

Anyways, expensive but I don't think intel released this as a competitor for the Pi. They've been releasing boards like this for a long while, although not as small. Also it is using a GMA 600, this is thing is terrible and I would only rely on it to power a command prompt.

How is it like the Raspberry Pi? How is $200 affordable and anywhere near the $35 Pi price? For that kind of price there's more choices.

Yeah, exactly.
This would be more of a competitor to the Hackberry, but even then the Intel board eats way more power.

I'd much rather use a solid ARM processor over an ultra-low-end x86 Atom any day.
Especially at the $200 price point.

And really? DDR2?
Most of the ARM boards running at that price point are using 1/2GB of DDR3.

This is pretty weak.

You've been able to buy small form-factor single-board computers running Atom and newer intel processors; most with fanless cooling. I'm not sure if they were as cheap as this at $200, but I don't think this and RasPi target the same crowd anyway.

From the article:
The most likely use cases today aren't hobbyist applications but industrial uses, Anders said. "The BeagleBone is a very small, low-power device, and it's targeted for some very specific applications for hobbying. You know, developing small proof-of-concept designs," Anders said. "Our initial offer for the MinnowBoard is actually more targeted toward industrial automation, industrial controls.

Well, that basically shows that it wasn't meant to be a contender with Raspberry Pi, or any of the other sub-$200 devices.
Even still, this device isn't worth more than $150 at absolute tops with such crappy specifications.

The GPU is very sub-par for any multimedia aspects, and a $200 price point for only 1GB of just DDR2 is ludicrous.
The only advantage this device has is virtualization, but again, only 1GB won't net much action in that area.

I think he should minnow himself lol anyways nothing great ... geez a a mini atx is far superior and not much larger don't see why this is frontpage news but as it is in the industry today computers have become stagnant and so we have everything from this bs to a man eating 30 tomatoes in 1 min on hardcop hehe

The difference is that there are some tasks you could do with this like surfing that you might not want to gouge your eyes out waiting for a RPi to execute them.

I have a couple RPi hooked up to a couple of TV's and its fine once you start playback but getting that playback started is freaking annoying and no way on par with a real HTPC.

I was surprised at the headline.. not at the product, $200 dollars for such crappy hardware was what I expected from Intel in this area of computing.
I thought is was going to be advanced computer-in-one-chip or something like that.

The difference is that there are some tasks you could do with this like surfing that you might not want to gouge your eyes out waiting for a RPi to execute them.

And would you care to explain why wouldn't i use a Celeron 847 NUC for that task then ? With 24-32GB SSD and 1-2GB RAM it is pretty much the same price and much higher performance than this board. And it has an actually usable and supported graphics core.

I feel as a beginner in development on such devices that a arm type platform like the ti launch pad $20 has way more potential for learning than something such as this. Now cool things of this board is that it is open source so you can take the design and run. Maybe at $50 these would rock.

Back