GTA 5 Lays Claim to Fastest to $1B Sales Crown

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Not only did GTA 5 break all sales records for first day sales within its own company, the game has reached the $1 Billion dollar mark worldwide in only three days of sales, smashing previous records set by Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

Grand Theft Auto V itself is set to hit Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, wisely appearing for these current-generation system rather than waiting several months to release on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The PC version of the game has not yet been announced for release, but will quite likely be appearing by the end of the year.

hB2EFF17B

Has any product produced for the masses hit a billion in sales that fast? I'm talking software, movies, books, whatever.

Maybe they already sprucing up all the graphics for the pc, xbo and ps4. For additional sales.

[QUOTE OTE=Dekoth-E-;1040216495]Never understood the popularity of this game.

Meh, whatever.[/QUOTE]

I've never been a fan of the series either other than for driving around and running people over... But this game is pretty fun story wise with how the characters all tie in together.

Something about this number seems fishy and maybe isn't nearly as impressive as the developers want to make it sound. Comparing a $60 game to a $10 movie ticket is silly not to mention at a pricing of $60 that means they've sold 16.7 million copies give or take in a week? I know this is world wide but still GTA 4 as of November 2012 has sold 25 million units globally. Regardless congrats to the developers.

even if you narrow the number to just the US -- (300million-ish people)

that means only 5% of the country bought the game to get it's numbers where they are today.

Factor in the entire world -- I can easily see 1 billion in a few days.

I was super hardcore going to wait for the PC version -- but ToysRus had a 20% coupon and i traded in a few games on top. I got GTA5 for 360 for TWENTY FOUR FREAKING DOLLARS.

How could anyone say no to that?

Says something about the sales though.. $800M on the first day, then took another two days to get the other $200M, those are the people who don't mind waiting a day or two.

...this must mean it's the best game ever. Right? Right?...

Says something about the sales though.. $800M on the first day, then took another two days to get the other $200M, those are the people who don't mind waiting a day or two.

pre orders get rung up on day 1.

So I guess this is all thanks to more F-bomb's and actual in-game nudity now? I mean thats all the game still is right? Shooting hookers and fucking gang members? Or vice versa, whatever.

Yeah, yeah.

"If it's popular, it sucks."
"If it's a console game, it sucks."
"If the company reports record-breaking sales, they must be cooking the books."

Yeah, some people don't like GTA games (and some of us just didn't like GTA IV) but whatever you think of the gameplay or the medium (console versus PC), every one of them has been hugely popular and ridiculously detailed sandboxes to boot.

As far as scoffing at the reported gross revenue being generated, keep in mind that Take-Two Interactive is a publicly traded company. They can't outright lie about revenues and even being a little deceptive with this level of publicity could screw them up big-time. No, Take-Two isn't taking home a billion-plus dollars (yet) on GTA V; there are too many other fingers in the pie. But there should be no doubt that they're selling more units than any other videogame in history, aided by what are likely peak install bases of the current consoles and the fact that other developers/publishers are turning their attention to the next-gen consoles.

So I guess this is all thanks to more F-bomb's and actual in-game nudity now? I mean thats all the game still is right? Shooting hookers and fucking gang members? Or vice versa, whatever.

You should probably lay down.

I for one am happy they have added nudity. i mean, who goes to a strip joint where the strippers dont...strip? :p

It is an adult game and i for one am looking forward to it. If you dont like it just go play farmville.

But on the flipside, i wish they wouldnt market it to kids. My son didnt get to play gta untill he was 16. now he's 21 and plays what he wants. Parents should keep their kids away from all adult games until they are 16. But play the games with them, so you know what your child is playing. Not exactly quality family time, but its better than letting them play for hours on end alone. Just be a responsible parent. not rocket science.

Here's my quandry...

Buy it for XB360 now, wait for XBox One or PS4, or wait for PC version.

I just can't bring myself to pay $60 for a game that's currently on a Lame-Duck Platform, but there's no PC version yet.

...this must mean it's the best game ever. Right? Right?...

I hate seeing that title put on a game, it's so short term, normally taken by another game a month or so later.

But this game does have a whole bunch of stuff going on, so far I'm enjoying it a lot more than the short lived stories that have been provided lately by other games.

I play both console (PS3) and PC games.

I have played GTA4 very briefly on PC but have preferred any of them on console more or less because of the controller. I know I can buy a controller for the pc but it is easier to have multi-player game with kids on console.

My kids are young yet (under 10) and have played COD with their older (12) cousin. They have watched me and my brothers play GTA4 and GTA5 with the sound on low or off. What I do while they are watching or playing any violent game is;

Me: What is this we are playing?
Them: A game.
Me: What do we not do in real life?
Them: Anything in the game.

For the kids there are plenty of games they play on the Wii as well as some for the PS3.

I was one that was excited for it to release on PS3 because I have no intentions (immediate or near future) to but the PS4 after release. I understand the PS3 is very old now but for what it is, GTA5 did very nicely with the graphics on it. The stories so far have been pretty good with the exceptions of some really downer missions (yoga... really? lol)

It's nice to be able to just get out of the mainstream games and just run people over or decide to sit in a strip club slamming shots. lol The "real" nudity caught me off guard though. I was not expecting that. I figured it would have been like the past where they were just in their bikinis. lol

Outlaw

Game play is very violent

Nah the most violent parts are the some of the cut scenes, even the torture part is pretty tame compared to what goes in the real world, heck reading about what Andy McNab went through when he was captured and imprisoned by the Iraqi's in the first Gulf War was more graphic and disturbing, than this game...And that was in a book.

I've killed over 1,100 civilians and cops so far.
Driven over 200 miles in the game.
Went to the strip club and got thrown out, and proceeded to go back in and massacre everyone.
I think I'll start the first mission tonight.

I've killed over 1,100 civilians and cops so far.
Driven over 200 miles in the game.
Went to the strip club and got thrown out, and proceeded to go back in and massacre everyone.
I think I'll start the first mission tonight.

man, i cannot wait to play, but i will hold out for pc.
i like mods and gta 4 has a ton. my favorite is one that makes the cops more like cops.
if you run a redlight, they will chase you and if your wanted, even 4 stars as long as you stay out of sight they will not find you, but if people see you commit a crime they will call the cops when they see you again. it makes it harder to be a criminal, so yo have to pick and chose when to break the law.

man, i cannot wait to play, but i will hold out for pc.
i like mods and gta 4 has a ton. my favorite is one that makes the cops more like cops.
if you run a redlight, they will chase you and if your wanted, even 4 stars as long as you stay out of sight they will not find you, but if people see you commit a crime they will call the cops when they see you again. it makes it harder to be a criminal, so yo have to pick and chose when to break the law.

The cops are a lot better in 5 IMO.

They don't come after you for running a red or driving on the wrong side of the road but civilians can/will call the cops (you hear this over the radio) on you for killing people. They don't immediately start shooting you or trying to run you off the road as hard core as in 4. In 5, they will attempt to cut you off, pit you, create a semi road block... etc before they come flying at you at full speed head on. It definitely makes it more challenging now IMO.

Even with only a 3star wanted level, it seems harder to lose the cops than the 3+ did in 4. They also have improved the cops search view to triangle in front of them instead of a circle around them. If you are hiding and in their sight triangle, they won't actually see you and keep moving. It also feels like the wanted level takes longer to disappear too (when it's flashing) as they search the area for you.

Overall so far, I think they made a lot of positive improvements over previous versions and brought back some of the good features of them as well (ex. properties, side jobs, income properties/sites.. etc).

Outlaw

There's been a terrible rumor that the MP portion will have micro-transactions. If that has any truth, it's a non-sale in any form.

no. Beating hookers until they give your money back.

There's been a terrible rumor that the MP portion will have micro-transactions. If that has any truth, it's a non-sale in any form.

As far as I recall I thought the MP was a free component seperate from GTA5 the actual game so micro-transactions make sense.

Back