Skype Cuts Future Support for Windows Phone 7

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft announced on Friday that all future support and developmental improvements for Skype on Windows Phone 7 will shut down. Like all Microsoft products, development and support will end eventually while the product will remain functional.

Meanwhile Skype will continue to be updated for Windows Phone 8. As Skype’s Lara Kingwell suggests, the “vast majority” of their userbase for Windows Phone is, indeed, on Windows Phone 8.

Like all Microsoft products, development and support will end eventually while the product will remain functional.
Except lately they have been going super strict on making cutoffs, like with Internet Explorer 12 being available only on 8, DirectX 11.2 only available on 8, now Skype only available on 8, and I'm sure a bunch of other things. We're going to FORCE people to get with the program or die.

Did you mean IE 11? Because technically that isn't out yet, and there is a version coming for 7. Considering that its probably is a year from now 12 will probably be 8 and 9 only.

Did you mean IE 11? Because technically that isn't out yet, and there is a version coming for 7. Considering that its probably is a year from now 12 will probably be 8 and 9 only.

I think what people fail to forget is they still support the last version of IE, or the 'legacy' version of IE that is. Just because one version is available for a particular OS doesn't mean much, in this case a DX11.2 enabled web browser, where they wouldn't be able to port it over to the prior OS which won't/can't get it.

I have Skype on a mac, iPhone, android phone, a win7 machine, when did Skype go only Win8 :confused:

eh, I'm home with illness and I can't think straight. apologies

They're only beating Microsoft to the punch- they'll eventually be cutting support for the Windows phone too (as they do for all their products, inevitably). Zune anyone?

They're only beating Microsoft to the punch- they'll eventually be cutting support for the Windows phone too (as they do for all their products, inevitably). Zune anyone?

"They" are Microsoft.

I have Skype on a mac, iPhone, android phone, a win7 machine, when did Skype go only Win8 :confused:

This should be no surprise, Skype is going downhill fast since MS now owns them. Did you not notice Skype cut voice call support on Android when using Bluetooth? It forces you to the handset audio only.

Reading comprehention 101. :rolleyes:
Cut support for WP7

On a side note, I am a bit pissed with MS and WP7. They hyped the Nokia Lumia 900 to no end. Supposed to be the greatest thing in smartphones ever, and it is a great phone, but they have done nothing short of full abandonment since WP8 launched 6 months later. So not classic MS. This shows that MS isn't committed to anything anymore. No direction.

My bad bro. I read it as you were asking a question. "when did Skype go only Win8?", but I see you were not asking a question, but being sarcastic to another post. :eek:
So ya, it isn't only Win8, but sadly MS on their list of priorities must screw loyal WP7 adopters.
Same page now :D

People please.

Skype ending future support for Windows Phone 7 does not mean current Windows Phone 7 Skype will stop working, this simply means any future development and support ends.

People please.

Skype ending future support for Windows Phone 7 does not mean current Windows Phone 7 Skype will stop working, this simply means any future development and support ends.

Correct. I believe they also hit the limit with what they could do with an app on that OS. The effort will be better spent on WP8.

My bad bro. I read it as you were asking a question. "when did Skype go only Win8?", but I see you were not asking a question, but being sarcastic to another post. :eek:
So ya, it isn't only Win8, but sadly MS on their list of priorities must screw loyal WP7 adopters.
Same page now :D

Yes and I believe they should also throw WP7 users a bone as well.

Wait... Doesn't Microsoft OWN Skype?

And they aren't going to support it on their own Phone?

What am I missing here?

Yes and I believe they should also throw WP7 users a bone as well.

WP7 is three years old. I think the bone has been thrown that we weren't tossed under a bus the instant WP8 was launched last year.

WP7 is three years old. I think the bone has been thrown that we weren't tossed under a bus the instant WP8 was launched last year.

Well there's a cop out. When a company like MS is hoping to one day catch up to entrenched market leaders and coming from SO far behind then simple status quo isn't really going to cut it. They need to be doing MORE than Apple and Android are doing to win mindshare and build goodwill or they'll just keep standing still with a thumb parked wondering where it all went wrong.

They need to keep supporting services on older devices. They can do it easily as they control individual service updating. Their bone to WP7 users would be to not cut off future development of what they already have. Besides, Google and iOS7 updates their older services frequently.

Less than a third of the first/second gen WP 7/7.5 devices even had front-facing cameras to begin with. Compare that to WP8 devices- front cameras in every model but the budget-minded Nokia 52x and the HTC 8S.

I'm still on WP 7.5. And even though I can still use Skype for voice only calls, I'm not buthhurt that MSFT is ending Skype support for the OS.

Back