Dell S2740L HDMI HDCP Support? for PS4

TheSteal

Limp Gawd
Finding a modern monitor which lacks HDCP support will be a challenge

Displays with glass & the frame-less IPS are the worst for movies. No frame-less IPS can produce bezel blending/true blacks in a normally lit room because the the inner black bezel is so dark it makes the blacks look a bit grayish. A displays bezel & coating can make or break a monitors ability to display blacks as blacks in a normally lit room.

Glass displays are even worse. Left glass Samsung S27B970D vs. right semi-glossy NEC P242W. Both monitors were set to 140nits & have a 900:1 contrast ratio. The S2740L & ACD are the same as the Samsung.

Letterbox movies are a pain to watch on glass displays due to the distracting gray blacks.

Left Glass vs. Right Glossy. Both monitors were set to 140nits & have similar contrast ratios.

The S2740L suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting, even during slow movements in movies,

Get a VA panel like the Asus VN279Q, Samsung S27C750P (My Review) or a TV with proper PC support like the Samsung UN32F5000 (UK Version Review)

Last edited:
Agreed with NCX.
The last device I bought that didnt support HDCP was my 8800GT gfx card, about 6 years ago.
All monitors and TVs now will have it.

@NCX
The UN32F5000 looks like the best monitor so far, but i couldn't find any response time test. :(

Finding a modern monitor which lacks HDCP support will be a challenge

Displays with glass & the frame-less IPS are the worst for movies. No frame-less IPS can produce bezel blending/true blacks in a normally lit room because the the inner black bezel is so dark it makes the blacks look a bit grayish. A displays bezel & coating can make or break a monitors ability to display blacks as blacks in a normally lit room.

Glass displays are even worse. Left glass Samsung S27B970D vs. right semi-glossy NEC P242W. Both monitors were set to 140nits & have a 900:1 contrast ratio. The S2740L & ACD are the same as the Samsung.

Letterbox movies are a pain to watch on glass displays due to the distracting gray blacks.

Left Glass vs. Right Glossy. Both monitors were set to 140nits & have similar contrast ratios.

The S2740L suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting, even during slow movements in movies,

Get a VA panel like the Asus VN279Q, Samsung S27C750P (My Review) or a TV with proper PC support like the Samsung UN32F5000 (UK Version Review)

Thanks for the reply NCX! so does the UN32F5000 have better picture quality than the F5500?

The x5300/x5500's are the same but can have extra features (Smart TV, xxxhz motion interpolation=bad for games, can be good for movies & turned on/off) and/or inputs. Compare the features on Samsung's site & see if the 5500 has features you want.

My S2740L works just fine with my Xbox 360. Not sure why the next gen systems would be any different.

Back