NVIDIA Reveals Tegra Note – Complete Tablet Platform

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA has just announced the Tegra Note, a complete tablet platform, designed by NVIDIA and sold by the company's partners.

So what’s Tegra Note? It embodies the NVIDIA brand — from our hardware and software (right down to OTA updates), to our industrial design, accessories and network of partners in game development. It elevates the abilities of our partners, so they can provide tablets packed with innovation and features at prices they may not have been able to deliver on their own. In turn, NVIDIA gains access to their deep sales and distribution expertise in regions worldwide.

I'm reading this article with a Samsung note. Samsung may have problem with this unless I missed something in the article...

Let me stream games to this like the shield and I may have a replacement for my Nexus 7. Otherwise, I'm really thinking of getting the Shield. I have an A/C router so I should be good.

wish they would state projected PRICE roommate is looking at getting a tablet soon if i knew the price they might wait till this comes out

Not a bad tablet if it wasn't for the rubbish GPU and low screen resolution.

I am a little disappointed by the screen resolution - I know its positioned to go against the refresh of the Nexus 7, but it falls short.

If they can make the stylus work REALLY REALLY well, then it's a win. If not, then it's just another 7" tablet.

Honestly I've been waiting for a 7" tablet with stylus support. I want to be able to take hand written notes in a meeting instead of looking like a jackass holding a 7" tablet typing with my thumbs.

If they can make the stylus work REALLY REALLY well, then it's a win. If not, then it's just another 7" tablet.

Honestly I've been waiting for a 7" tablet with stylus support. I want to be able to take hand written notes in a meeting instead of looking like a jackass holding a 7" tablet typing with my thumbs.

Says it's has a chisel and brush stylus, so it's probably capacitive. I'm hoping some of the new 8" Bay Trail devices come with a Wacom digitizer.

wish they would state projected PRICE roommate is looking at getting a tablet soon if i knew the price they might wait till this comes out

Read the last paragraph in the link. Nexus 7 is likely still the better value.

oh and the Nexus 7 cant be used with a stylus like say the Note can

It figures nvidia has to do something with their tegra chips if few others are buying them. This looks like an ok first attempt at a tablet.

Price & screen resolution are the items I'm curious about. Resolution is nothing to write home about, but if it is budget priced seems like it could sell.

The low resolution is a let-down yet the price seems to be attractive. I'd really like to see a fully functioning sample.

Every time I hear Tegra, I want to walk in the other direction.

I am tired of all these dang 7" tablets ... I want a 13", 15", or 17" tablet capable of some serious computing ... these 7" tablets are like toys ;)

why are these people allowed to call these things note, doesn't Samsung hold a copyright on that in the phone / tablet space?

What's the point? Android is a second rate platform for tablet games and the hardware isn't fast at all.

Apple Fanboy?

I have to say my TEGRA 3 Asus Transformer Prime rocks! Many of the same games on iPad looks better on the Tegra 3. Why? Because of Nivida working with Developers. Do I care? No.

I've had 3D Video cards since before 3DFX (Matrox). Nivida really does a great job and has though history. If I need a 7 inch tablet, I'd be looking at this as well.

I am tired of all these dang 7" tablets ... I want a 13", 15", or 17" tablet capable of some serious computing ... these 7" tablets are like toys ;)

A-fkn-men!

I had real high hopes for the 20" 4k Tablet from Panasonic (full blown PC with Win8x64) that was full 10 point touch and sporting mSSD and heaps of other good stuff. At IFA they finally released some more solid specs and info and price. I suspected it would be pricey... but DAMN 6000USD! And thats teh "cheap" version! I was floored (not suprised though) and disapointed because it would have been perfect if it was at least reasonably priced. I just can't fatham how come x86 tablets dono't exist for a reasonable price when desktop PC's are so cheap its creazy! And forget the "Small-TAX" factor! Shit has been made small for 15 years now.. its passed excuse time!

Apple Fanboy?

I have to say my TEGRA 3 Asus Transformer Prime rocks! Many of the same games on iPad looks better on the Tegra 3. Why? Because of Nivida working with Developers. Do I care? No.

I've had 3D Video cards since before 3DFX (Matrox). Nivida really does a great job and has though history. If I need a 7 inch tablet, I'd be looking at this as well.

No fanboyism at all, just objective facts. Cross-platform developers make about 4x more from iOS than they do Android. Taking phones out of the equation the ratio is even less, which explains the lack of tablet optimized applications and games for Android. Its a big reason why Android tablets apps are mostly half-ass rescaled phone apps with little optimization. Its the same reason why developers would rather make more money targeting Windows than Linux.

2K Games just released a straight port of XCom Enemy Unknown for iPad, no Android port planned. Epic's Infinity Blade still has no Android port. IB3's character models are more detailed with more polys than anything in Gears Of War. Blizzard's upcoming (and EXCELLENT) Hearthstone is coming out for Windows, OS X, and the iPad. Again, no Android port on the way.

Are you also aware that the Tegra 3 was already much slower than the GPU in the A5 used in the early 2012 iPad? The Tegra 4 lags as well. The PowerVR GPUs that Apple uses have always been much faster than NVIDIA's mobile parts. You're looking at less than half the performance with NVIDIA these days. Anandtech did a review of the A7 in the iPhone 5C and its performance is top of the line: http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph7335/58171.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph7335/58196.png

Note that this is the vanilla A7, not the inevitable A7X coming in the next iPad.

With the exception of a Radeon 9800 Pro (only six months, trash drivers) and an old Voodoo 2 add-on card, I've only used NVIDIA cards in my PCs. I think they make excellent desktop parts. Hell, I'm about to get another GTX 670 and go SLI with it.

Their tablet/phone mobile GPUs are a different story, they're left in the dust by PowerVR and Qualcomm.

Just another bs item among the sea of them. I can understand now totally why hard ocp has these on frontpage; it's because the computer industry is stagnant.

In the market for a reading and movie watching tablet, would've definitely considered this if it were $150. Don't care about the stylus but the software support sounds interesting.

Tegra 4 is behind the latest Krait and A7, but I wouldn't say its slow.

Actually I think the tegrapad is overpowered. I think nvidia should at least have a version with tegra 4i and go head to head with the Asus memopad.

Back