Worth buying a PS3 for GTA 5?

Banyan

[H]ard|Gawd
I just need either some quick advice or common sense. I didn't have any interest in GTA until I saw people actually playing it and now I'm kinda jonsing for it hard. I have a someone that will sell me a new PS3 500GB GTA 5 package for $225 - but is it worth it to play this game and maybe the Last of Us... being that the next gen is right around the corner now? My impulse says yes but everything else says hell no.

It's worth it there are some other great cheap games worth paying as well.

i agree as i'd like to give assassins creed etc a go on a console but can't help think that the money could be thrown at a ps4 which is backwards compatible (right?)...

i agree as i'd like to give assassins creed etc a go on a console but can't help think that the money could be thrown at a ps4 which is backwards compatible (right?)...

Neither Xbox one or PS4 console is backward compatible, Wii U is the only one that is.

I just need either some quick advice or common sense. I didn't have any interest in GTA until I saw people actually playing it and now I'm kinda jonsing for it hard. I have a someone that will sell me a new PS3 500GB GTA 5 package for $225 - but is it worth it to play this game and maybe the Last of Us... being that the next gen is right around the corner now? My impulse says yes but everything else says hell no.

GTA 5 - Yes
Last of Us - Yes
Uncharted series - Yes

You could get a lot of mileage out of it even with PS4 on the way. You could also play a few games now and then trade the whole system in towards a PS4 or XBOne.

In the near future Sony plans to have PS3 games available through streaming, though I'm not sure a lot of the detail on how that will work, or what games will be available is known yet.

edit: I'm pretty sure Best Buy gives gift cards for trade-in stuff, so that's also pretty decent... I avoid gamestop when possible, just imo.

I guess it boils down to how much you want to play what's out there now (like GTA 5) and how much money you have. If it's tight I would probably try to hold out and see what the possible PC release date is for GTA 5, otherwise I would probably just dive in.

side-note: When trading in anything wait for the deals. With the new consoles out soon I'm sure Best Buy and Gamestop will be running deals for trading in the old consoles so work that to your benefit.

Not from a bang for the buck standpoint. Wait for the PC version in 6-8 months. Also, the PS3 will drop in price when PS4 is released. If you have money to burn then go for it though.

Also, the PS3 will drop in price when PS4 is released.

Don't think so. There's no precedent for PS3 dropping in price after PS4 launches, Sony doesn't need to because of inertia. The PS3 will continue to sell for many years, and will only drop in price when Sony decides inertia has slowed down enough to warrant it. Hell, look how long they kept selling PS2's after PS3 launched.

thanks for the opinions guys. might pass since I'm not huge into games these days and only a few titles interest me. and something tells me the market will be flooded with used consoles when next-gen hits.

GTA 5 - Yes
Last of Us - Yes
Uncharted series - Yes

^This

If you're any sort of gamer these games should be experienced. Toss in Ni No Kuni if you're an JRPG fan and Demon's Souls if you're a masochist.

PS3 has a shit ton of awesome games.

After GTA V and LoU, pick up GoW Collection 1&2, then grab III and Ascension for like maybe $40 together on ebay. Also play MGS IV.

I grabbed the GTA PS3 bundle yesterday, glad I did as there are a solid amount of games still coming out for the system, like Rain, Puppeteer, Beyond...it'll be worth it. Plus I have a huge backlog of games for the thing. I'd weigh the good with the bad, but in the end, that's solid deal you're getting, and I'd take it.

Don't think so. There's no precedent for PS3 dropping in price after PS4 launches, Sony doesn't need to because of inertia. The PS3 will continue to sell for many years, and will only drop in price when Sony decides inertia has slowed down enough to warrant it. Hell, look how long they kept selling PS2's after PS3 launched.

Sony does not need to cut the price for buyers to get a better deal. There will be plenty of folks trading in their old systems at Gamestop or selling on Ebay and Craigslist. The supply of last gen consoles (and games) will steadily increase after the next gen consoles are released. Retail price (Sony price) won't change but street prices will.

I just got the PS3 GTA V bundle. Didn't plan on it until the day before release, but all the hype got me. Between GTA V and Last of Us, I couldn't stay away.

....well looks like its a bit late, but no, you shouldn't buy a PS3 for GTA5, when the likelihood of a next-gen re-release is 99.9999%. And also any titles that don't get directly ported (such as TLOU) will be put on their online store.

Dude, the games that are coming out for next-gen consoles aren't going to be anywhere NEAR good enough to justify the console price alone. I mean, the PS3 has a incredible amount of great games to choose from. Buy a PS3, get some great games, play the shit out of them, and then once the PS4/Xbox One has enough good games then buy it.

It's not worth buying a $400 system for just one or two games. I mean, you spend half that, get a game, and still have over $250 to buy all the AAA titles the PS3 has to offer. If you haven't yet had a PS3 then I would definitely go for the PS3. The PS4 may be screaming at your nerd-self to get because it's new and shiny and has great graphics, but based solely on the games it's just plain not worth it. I mean, Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed will be available on PS3 also...

Better graphics will not make the game better.

EDIT: Just read the comparison on DigitalFoundry and I indeed see that this is the closest cross-platform work that Rockstar has done to date. I would say go for it if you can stand the cheap-ass super-slim PS3.

Last edited:
If you are going to buy a console for GTAV you may as well purchase an Xbox 360. Rockstar's games (read: GTA IV, RDR, Max Payne 3) are known to look AND perform better on Microsoft's console.

I've played them on both and they're exactly the same imo.

I just got the PS3 GTA V bundle. Didn't plan on it until the day before release, but all the hype got me. Between GTA V and Last of Us, I couldn't stay away.

My man...great minds think alike, hah. Couldn't help myself yesterday, and as was mentiond already by zamardii, there are tons of great games I still haven't played.

Why has no one mentioned Journey ?!! PS3 has tons of exclusive unique games that you can enjoy for very cheap now.

Also PS+ looks pretty legit. Uncharted 3 is free with it. The bundle I bought comes with a free month too.

If you are going to buy a console for GTAV you may as well purchase an Xbox 360. Rockstar's games (read: GTA IV, RDR, Max Payne 3) are known to look AND perform better on Microsoft's console.

if i didn't have two dead ones sitting in my garage i would maybe do it. third time would make me a moron.

thats a lot of money to shell out just for one game.

new consoles are right around the corner.

it seems incredibly irresponsible. especially sense you will likely be able to find these systems for next to nothing on craigslist in two months.

I'd usually say no, but the PS3 is the only platform you can play Demon's Souls on, and that game is better than any other game mentioned in this thread.

if i didn't have two dead ones sitting in my garage i would maybe do it. third time would make me a moron.

I hear ya. Seems the PS3 version is okay in comparison. Edited my original post accordingly.

I hear ya. Seems the PS3 version is okay in comparison. Edited my original post accordingly.

The PS3 version actually looks better because it runs native instead of upscaled like the 360. The 360 version has a better frame rate ( because its cheating and upscaling from around 720p and because the 360 is GTA's premiere platform and makes up its largest audience due to its demographic ) and also has more antialasing. The PS3 version has less antialasing but the frame rate is largely the same on both platforms ( perhaps a tiny edge to the 360 ).

The PS3 has tons of amazing titles. Don't miss out on it. Even with the new consoles launching , their first 6+ months won't be filled to the brim with title after great title. The PS3 on the other hand has run its course and has many gems to explore and enjoy.

I actually rebought my PS3 for Ni No Kuni but I ended up buying a bunch of games I missed out on.

SO TL;DR .. Yes , buy it.

The PS3 version actually looks better because it runs native instead of upscaled like the 360. The 360 version has a better frame rate ( because its cheating and upscaling from around 720p and because the 360 is GTA's premiere platform and makes up its largest audience due to its demographic ) and also has more antialasing. The PS3 version has less antialasing but the frame rate is largely the same on both platforms ( perhaps a tiny edge to the 360 ).

The PS3 has tons of amazing titles. Don't miss out on it. Even with the new consoles launching , their first 6+ months won't be filled to the brim with title after great title. The PS3 on the other hand has run its course and has many gems to explore and enjoy.

I actually rebought my PS3 for Ni No Kuni but I ended up buying a bunch of games I missed out on.

SO TL;DR .. Yes , buy it.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/166731-gta-5-ps3-vs-xbox-360-gameplay-and-graphics-comparison

Both versions are rendered in 1280*720.

One system has a working scaler and one doesn't but not a big deal.

In playing it on my ps3 my son on the 360 it plays and looks the same 99.999% the same.

I just bought a PS3 with the GTA V bundle, and honestly I think it's worth it. I always liked the PS interface(ever since I had my PSP) and since it's also a pretty decent Blu-ray player and media center I think it's worth it.

thats a lot of money to shell out just for one game.

new consoles are right around the corner.

it seems incredibly irresponsible. especially sense you will likely be able to find these systems for next to nothing on craigslist in two months.

Except I like new things. I don't like when other people have touched them before I got a chance to. Call it OCD, call it crazy. I don't like used. Cars, Clothes, Ppl (LOL). ;)

Back