Mushkin Unveils Its Scorpion Deluxe PCIe SSD

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
"The Scorpion Deluxe PCIe SSD is a result of the desire to create and produce revolutionary components that maximize performance. We are looking to enhance and accelerate the work process -- be it for creative production or database applications," said Nicolas Villalobos, the Director of Global Marketing for Mushkin, Inc. "We are pleased to be able to add the Scorpion Deluxe PCIe SSD to our existing line of now available innovative technologies."

More importantly, why are all these companies making these cards all releasing them with pcie 2.0? Memory is just about the only thing that can saturate a high speed bus like pcie 3.0. I think this product, along with many of its competitors, missed their market.

Read Speed: up to 2150MB/sec
Write Speed: up to 1900MB/sec

/drool that is all :)

More importantly, why are all these companies making these cards all releasing them with pcie 2.0? Memory is just about the only thing that can saturate a high speed bus like pcie 3.0. I think this product, along with many of its competitors, missed their market.

Actually there is no need for PCIe 3.0 for this product yet. You are correct that it is using PCIe 2.0, but it's x8, so it is using 8 lanes. Each lane is 500MB/s, which means 4,000 MB/s is available for a PCIe 2.0 x8 connection.

It's still too expensive to buy SSDs like this that have enough storage space to act as the only drive in a computer. While it's nice that its faster and slightly less noisy, that's a lot of monies to pay when I could just spend a few more seconds hugging a kitty while my computer boots up.

Definitely not needed by most people unless its for a special application, but good to see the technology progressing nonethless.

$560? People will buy it. I paid $400 for a 30GB SSD back when they first came out. Of course, there were no alternatives.

Actually there is no need for PCIe 3.0 for this product yet. You are correct that it is using PCIe 2.0, but it's x8, so it is using 8 lanes. Each lane is 500MB/s, which means 4,000 MB/s is available for a PCIe 2.0 x8 connection.

Your understanding of how this all works is incorrect. Speed is NOT a Math.Min(Speed1,Speed2,Speed3) i.e. "weakest link in the chain" sort of thing as many people think it is.

You have to consider the amount of time it takes for each step in the chain i.e. latency. The function is 1/((1/T1)+(1/T2)+(1/T3)...) where T is the time it takes to do each step. So even when you speed up one of the already-fast parts of the process, it's still going to speed things up overall at least a little. The more time something takes, the more speeding it up is effective.

I bet these drives would be 5-10% faster on PCI-E 3.0, but the technology to do so is apparently not worth it at this point to Mushkin and other companies.

Back