Microsoft Reissues September Patches After User Complaints

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is getting pretty good at taking hints, suggestions and complaints lately and it’s a good thing. This month’s Patch Tuesday turned out to be a giant bust for some users.

Eight patches have now been reissued, covering security flaws in Excel, SharePoint Server, and Office suites going back to 2007. Two non-security patches for PowerPoint have also been reissued.

This does not make any sense to me at all. In fact, there have been 3 Office 2007 updates that are being pushed but are totally unrelated to reality. (Meaning, some of the computers do not even have Office 07 and these updates never install.)

Since the shipment of the September 2013 Security Bulletin Release, we have received reports of updates being offered for installation multiple times, or certain cases where updates were not offered via Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM).

I had no such issues as of 9/4.

The issue was 3 office patches would install you reboot and every time they would come back install reboot then they reappear. Happened on every machine I have office 2007 on. Glad they fixed it.

The issue was 3 office patches would install you reboot and every time they would come back install reboot then they reappear. Happened on every machine I have office 2007 on. Glad they fixed it.

Yeah, just tried it out, I was seeing this problem as well, seems to be resolved now.

This does not make any sense to me at all. In fact, there have been 3 Office 2007 updates that are being pushed but are totally unrelated to reality. (Meaning, some of the computers do not even have Office 07 and these updates never install.)

Computers with the Office converters that let older programs like Office 2003 or Microsoft Works understand how to open Office 07+ file formats also seem to frequently get Office 2007 related patches. Maybe that's got something to do with it?

UGH! Those patches were a royal pain in the ass... Had that reboot problem + some machines would just lockup while installing patches. That's one why to see who had their patch updates on or off though.

Anyway, enough with the annoyance of patch Tuesdays, it's the weekend...

We didn't push the updates, but that's what I was hearing from a lot of people with Office 2007. Just the endless install/reboot cycle.

Back