[H]orde|Central v4.0 - Everything DC (FAQ's, Guides, Tips and Tricks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m33pm33p

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2013
Welcome to the [H]orde!

The [H]orde is a family of brothers and sisters here on [H]ard committed to helping find cures for diseases and/or solving complex math problems by donating our idle computer resources to Distributed Computing applications. The vast majority of us fold for the Folding@Home or World Community Grid projects. However, there are many other Distributing Computing efforts the [H]orde participates in as well. We only ask that you pick a project close to your heart and share as many computing resources as you are willing to donate to that particular cause.

This thread was created with intention of being your first step into the world of Distributed Computing, we hope you enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

F@H With Windows V7 GUI

1) Apply for a passkey at http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py. You will need to pick a doner name and enter an email address. Your passkey will be sent to your email address. Do not discard your passkey email.
2) Download the current client from: https://folding.stanford.edu
3) Install the client using all of the default options
4) When the installer is finished, let it start the client. You will see a Windows firewall pop-up about fahclient.exe. Click "Allow access".
5) This will open your default web browser pointing to: http://folding.stanford.edu/client/. Click the Identity tab on the page that loads. On the Identity page, enter the donor name and passkey you got from step 1 and team 33. Don't forget to click Save when you are finished.
6) Click the Home tab to return to your home page. Move the intensity slider from Medium to Full. This will force the client to start if it hasn't yet. A definition of the settings can be found below.

Off Folding is disabled
Idle light: Folding will proceed at a reduced speed only when your computer becomes idle.*
Idle: Similar to Idle Light, but tries to get the maximum productivity from your computer only when you are away.
Light: Folding proceeds at a reduced speed at all times, but productivity and system utilization increases when you are away.
Medium: Much more productive than Light. This setting is recommended for most users.
Full: Contribute as much as possible. This setting may cause some machines to get hot or the fan to run very hard. If this is a problem simply move this slider to a lower setting.

You are now folding for Team [H]ardOCP! We have some screenshots of a pretty typical install HERE

F@H With Linux

1) Apply for a passkey at http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py. You will need to pick a doner name and enter an email address. Your passkey will be sent to your email address. Do not discard your passkey email.
2) There are many, many flavors of the Linux OS that F@H can be setup to run on. A few of our members here have gone to great lengths to bring us two especially simple setup guides. Both are almost a completed automated process but also have their differences. Take a look at each and decide for yourself which suits you better.

Tear’s [H] Ubuntu Folding Appliance
Musky’s [H] Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[H]orde World Community Grid

F@H isn’t the only Distributed Computing field [H] dominates! We also have brothers in arms actively working on World Community Grid projects!
Once again our members have come through and created outstanding guides that simplify the process of setting up and getting started.

1) Download the BOINC client from Berkeley if using Windows. Download If installing under Linux, I recommend you use the one in the repository.
2) Install the software using which options you prefer. Refer to the guide linked below for some basic info. Please ask one of us if the settings don’t make sense. If you choose to install as a service, you will not have the option to use GPU’s. (If installing to Windows 8 or 8.1, make sure you are installing from a local account and NOT a Microsoft account.) If you need help with the install, please reference the link below or drop a post in the forums. (Windows 8 and 8.1 isn’t shown in the Guide at this time)
3) After it is finished, the software will most likely prompt for a restart if the OS is Windows. Do so.
4) When Windows starts up or after finishing the install under Linux, it will prompt you to attach to a project or an account manager. (pictures in the install guide below) I recommend using an account manager if you intend on supporting more than one project. BAM Setup If you want to just support the one project, we are recommending World Community Grid. You will find it on the list after selecting the option to attach to a project. (Again, photos of the process is in the guide linked below.
5) To join the team, you must go to the project (in this case WCG) and login. Got to [url=”https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp”]WCG Under your account options you will be able to join a team. Click My Contribution, click My Team, click Find a Team, search for HardOCP, Click on that team, then click Join Team. Keep in mind that if you are attaching to other BOINC projects, their pages will be a little different because they typically use the default BOINC template. An example is in the BOINC install guide linked below. WCG designs their own page. You can also see a list of projects that have different team names here: [url=”http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040548916&postcount=5”]Team Name List
6) Go back to your BOINC Manager and do an project update. You should see the team name appear.

[url=” http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1768558”]BOINC Setup Guide

Advanced BOINC configurations
http://BOINC Client optimized for mu...chines – Linux
Team Challenges

Be sure to also check out our [H]DC Vault to ask questions or report new finds for anything related to WCG, DIMES, BOINC and just about any other DC project.

Our [H] DC Guides Subsection also has an extensive list of assorted guides on everything from proper configuration of the BOINC client to Useful Tools and How To’s. Make sure to take a look and read as much as you can.

Popular Guides

While these guides will surely get you up and running as quickly as possible. We also have a WEALTH of information in our [H] DC Guides Subsection .

[H]orde Hardware Guides:

2P and 4P Hardware Guide - Looking to put together a 2p or a 4p?
Hyper 212+ G34 Install Guide - Have a G34? Want to keep it cool?
Inexspensive High CFM Fan Guide - Looking to find some outstanding inexpensive fans for that musky mod?
Watercooling Component Guide – Maybe you’re [H]ardcore and want to water cool that 4P?

[H]orde DC Configuration and Monitoring Guides:

Overclocking the G34 Platform - Have a 4p Opteron chip? Want to overclock it? Check here
HFM.NET Guide – The recommended F@H Monitoring Software
DIMES Setup Guide – Looking for help on setting up DIMES?
BOINC Setup Guide – Looking for help on setting up BOINC?

These are just a few of the many F@H related guides we have at our disposal. Make sure to stop by the Guides section and read up!

[H]orde IRC Chat

Taking your first steps into the world of Distributed Computing can be confusing, we have all been there once. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions in the forums or even better, join our IRC channel.

IRC is essentially a giant chat room where we can chat about F@H, WCG or even what you had for lunch today. The greatest strength of IRC is that we can assist you with any problems in REAL time. So please don’t hesitate to hop in and say hi! Don’t let the room name fool you, we welcome all DC’ers!

Server: irc.freenode.net
Port: 6667
Channel: #hardfolding

--

Welcome To The Family!

Last edited by a moderator:
[H]orde Basics:

Q: What projects do you participate in?
A: Currently we have one officially supported project: Folding@Home, which is a project from Stanford University to research Protein folding. The goal is to understand protein folding and mis-folding effects on diseases like Alzheimer's, Huntington's and other diseases. You can find more information about the project here. The official [H] team ID is 33 that you can enter during the client configuration.

We also welcome other projects and the biggest one we also participate is World Community Grid where many of our members is participating. WCG is a distributed computing grid created to offer the possibility for the various public or profit-free organizations to tap into the grid power to conduct research related to health. There are some teams related to [H] but the biggest we use is team ID 1411.

Q: Why do you do this?
A: We all have our own separate reasons. Read about Why We DC for lots of inspirational stories.

Q: Ok, so how can I get involved?
A: The first thing you should do is find out what project best suits you. You can find all the guides in the [H]orde Guides to install one of the available clients. If you need help about any aspect of DC, make a new thread and our knowledgeable teammates will answer your questions.

Q: What if I have arguments against running a DC project ?
A: There is always something against running a DC project like power usage, bandwidth, etc... there is a great thread to debunk those myths: Answers for reasons to not run F@H (it can also be applied to others projects).​

[H]ordeisms:

Q: I keep seeing words like borg and boxen, what does that mean?
A:
Killer[MOB]'s DC dictionary:
"borg": The act of adding F@H/WCG on a computer that you do not own, that folds under your name. (and you Asked if it was OK before you did so..)
"Pernts" is another word for points (thanks jws2346 for starting that ).
"Boxen" means computer(s)
"Farm" is when you have a lot of boxen.
"Garden" is when you have more than a few boxen.
"Headless" is running a boxen without a monitor.
"Bounce" is when you have to reboot your boxen.
"D" is also boxen or to add more boxen.
"FBNF" is a Fly By Night Folder, here today, gone tomorrow.
"Naked" is running a system without a case.
"NSZ" is the No Scroll Zone. You'll know it if you ever get there.
"PPW" is short for Points Per Week.
"PPD" is short for Points Per Day.
"WU" is a work unit. WUs are worth points.
"SWMBO" is She Who Must Be Obeyed.
"Mojo": Alcoholic beverage with magical OC enhancing capability. See Relic for more information.
"PizzaBoxen": Preferred mode of clothing naked boxen utilizing Pizza Boxes in the Relic [H]ousehold. (old method, replaced by PherretBoxen)
"PherretBoxen": Revised Preferred mode of clothing naked boxen utilizing any spare electronic appliance/AVGear ( i.e. VCR) in the Relic [H]ousehold, usually created by the [H]ardBard's Spawn.

Some of these are oldies but still a great part of the [H]orde's past. Ask a long time [H]orde member for more "Details" ;)

Q: I want to install the client on my work/family members/friends machines, is that ok?
A: There is a good thread about permissions and consequences. It's essential to have permissions (preferably in writing) if you want to avoid the same unwanted fate as woods (page 6 and up) or Party2go9820. It is imperative that you understand the legalities behind setting up F@H on a system that is not your own. Make SURE you have the owner’s permission before doing so!

Q: I keep seeing these little badges in peoples post with their points, how do I get mine?
A: You can read a very simple Horde Badge Guide by fellow folder m33pm33p in our [H] DC Guides Subforum. Once you have your badge setup, You can test the badge in this thread test your badge thread. *It is against the rules to START a post in the DC FS/FT section without first creating a badge and posting said badge in the original post. Don’t get your post locked or deleted for forgetting!*

Q: Is there a reward to fold for the [H]orde?
A: Yes, we have a rewards program which offer a free subscription to General Mayhem. The details about the program can be found in the [H]orde Rewards Program.

Q: I see a few members with a special [H]ard|DCer of the Month title, what is this?
A: Pocatello handles our monthly DC’er of the Month (DCOTM) contest that culminates with a DC’er of the Year (DCOTY) contestWe have a [H]ard|DCer of the Month FAQ to answer questions. This is a monthly contest were your peers have a chance to nominate and vote on who they think has been one of the top folders for the current month. This is not only based on production numbers but also a person’s attitude, willingness to help others and general [H]ardness! Lookout for the Poll at the beginning of each month!​

Advanced Tips & Tricks

Q: How can I check the details of each work unit I'm folding?
A: You can see the full listing of the current projects on the projects summary page with the associated information like the points value, deadlines and more.

Q: How can I monitor my points progress on my machine/network? How can I calculate the points per day/hour?
A: HFM.net is the de facto program for monitoring several aspects of your Folding machines including points per day/hour and work unit progress. A great guide by WFeather can be found HERE

Q: Is there anywhere that I can find information on ALL of the DC projects currently going on?
A: Free-DC.org is a great site that currently tracks and has forums for discussions of most of the ongoing DC projects. Check it out!

[H]orde Deals, Donations, and Trades:

Q: I found a great deal on the web, where can I post it?
A: Post yer' Deals**

Q: I've got some parts to donate to the cause, how can I do it?
A: Just make a new thread about your wish to donate something to the cause. If you are not sure about the criteria or how to do it, you can always ask any of the long time DC’er’s for guidance.**

Q: I've got parts I'd like to sell for DCing at a good price, how can I do it?
A: Use the DC For Sale/For Trade subforum.**

** Disclaimer: Any parts or deals that you pursue through these threads are not sanctioned by [H]ardforums, [H]ardOCP, KB Networks or the staff of the aforementioned entities. Please do not contact any members of these groups, as participating in these threads is at your own risk.
Please remember to read the FS/FT rules before posting. Any posts created without the required information will be locked and/or deleted.

[H]orde Activities:

Suggestions and Comments:

If you have any comments or suggestions related to the [H]orde or the DC forum, make a new thread on the forum or PM WFeather or FLECOM.

Since we want to have this thread up to date, if there is something you need to add, update or remove, please send a PM to m33pm33p and it will get updated ASAP.​

A Special Thanks:

We wanted to thank our teammates like tear, musky, Gilthanis, Pocatello current and past [H]orde members and the [H]ardForum staff for the updates, guides and comments. Without these guys, what we do wouldn't be possible.​

When All Else Fails, Go [H]arder!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back