Western Digital Completes Acquisition of sTec

HardOCP News

[H] News
Western Digital® Corp. announced today that it has completed the acquisition of sTec, Inc., an early innovator in enterprise solid-state drives (SSDs). sTec will be integrated into HGST, a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital. The acquisition augments HGST’s existing solid-state storage capabilities, accelerating its ability to expand its participation in the rapidly growing area of enterprise SSDs.

Any implications that a VelociRaptor SSD series is in the works (or something of the sort)?

It appears that WD has missed the SSD train, and is trying to play catch up.

It appears that WD has missed the SSD train, and is trying to play catch up.

Same with Seagate, best they can muster is that wacky hybrid design (your data is still screwed if the memory fails, or the mechanical side screws up...best of both worlds I guess, and it's Seagate so it's going to happen within two years of running time).

Same with Seagate, best they can muster is that wacky hybrid design (your data is still screwed if the memory fails, or the mechanical side screws up...best of both worlds I guess, and it's Seagate so it's going to happen within two years of running time).

True.. an opportunity to improve right there, they could back-up the SSD part of it so if that dies, then the 'regular' HD can keep working.. SSD in theory last longer than HDDs but hey, some redundancy would help in case of shorted chips I suppose.

True.. an opportunity to improve right there, they could back-up the SSD part of it so if that dies, then the 'regular' HD can keep working.. SSD in theory last longer than HDDs but hey, some redundancy would help in case of shorted chips I suppose.

I was under the impression that hybrid drives cached frequently accessed files that exist on the platter part of the HDD. Why would they back that up on to the same media it's already on?

hybrid drives can be huge in massive data storage systems, now most raid cards use SSD drives for cache, now take the hybrid drives but put more than 4G of SSD on it as Seagate is already doing and you can have some serious speed for large data systems

The solid state is used in read mode the vast majority of the time, so life span should be very very long. Also, at least on the "XT" models, its SLC NAND which adds even more to the lifespan.

That being said, it is painfully obvious that the XT drives are still platter when your use to SSD's. My 750XT is my only platter based system disc out of all my computers and while it is decently quick, it is still a dog compared to SSD's.

the SSD acts as massive cache to the drive, like Seagate current hybrid drives which do show a performance increase vs mechanical only drives but the failing point is the hybrid drives have so little that the performance is very.. "all over"

Back