The Psychology of a Fanboy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Any time you see an article with a title like "The Psychology of a Fanboy" you should just grab the popcorn and head straight to the comments section. :D

By definition, a fanboy (or fangirl) is someone who defends their favorite phone/politician/city/browser/OS/game/console/genre/etc. while attacking everything else. Whether it's the blind trust in the next iPhone, a rallying argument about President Reagan, or a fervent argument for the PS4 over the Xbox One, we like to pick sides and stick to them. This alone is obnoxious, but it causes more than just minor annoyances: it means we attach ourselves to brands and can't think critically about the choices we make when shopping.

All products have their pros and cons. How you weigh them and how they fit your particular scenario vary. Having to put down another brand or type is simple insecurity and pettiness. Speak intelligently about what you are fond of and leave it at that. Don't go off on a "defamation" quest to make your decisions seem more correct to yourself. :eek:

Fanboyism makes the world go 'round. You guys are just jealous that everything I like is better than the things you like.

If you are a fan of the Dallas Cowboys are you considered a fanboi?

I don't understand the need some people have to bash things that they don't like. I get it, you like this product more than the other, shut the hell up and enjoy your product - I don't care what you think!

I think Apple fanboys get their jollies off of ripping on microsoft more so than they do from actually enjoying the product. Personally I have no problems with either system, who gives a crap, just use whatever you like.

I don't understand the need some people have to bash things that they don't like. I get it, you like this product more than the other, shut the hell up and enjoy your product - I don't care what you think!

Stop being a fanboy of fanboy bashing! :mad:

lol :p

I remember how Wii fanboys didn't officially exist until 2009, because even admitting you liked the console got you reprimanded for pages on end. On average, it would take 3 posts for someone to say something about how bad the Wii is. Fanboyism at its finest.

By that definition, what is the difference between fanboyism and xenophobia?

Not sure why they put "rallying argument about President Reagan" as an example of fanboyism, he's hands down the greatest president of my lifetime. It's not even close.

...thus the Intel Lemmings and nVidiots. :p

Go!

Or the AMD fanboys who refuse to believe Intel or nVidia are something in the market :rolleyes:

We're all fanboys of something, I for one am a Samsung Galaxy fanboy :O

fanboys are something I find completely idiotic.

companies are there to make money, you should choose the best product at the time.

absolutely hate seeing ps4/xbox one, nvidia/amd fans going batshit crazy over a product, and/or defending products that are factually inferior.

I dunno about the part of "blind trust in iPhone"

It seems like it is just as equal as in "blind trust in Android phones"

I mean seriously... android fanboys (as well as anti-apple fanboys) will cherry pick anything against apple and iphones these day.

I like both Android and iPhone but it sometimes gets annoying.

Not sure why they put "rallying argument about President Reagan" as an example of fanboyism, he's hands down the greatest president of my lifetime. It's not even close.

fanboys are something I find completely idiotic.

companies are there to make money, you should choose the best product at the time.

absolutely hate seeing ps4/xbox one, nvidia/amd fans going batshit crazy over a product, and/or defending products that are factually inferior.
rambo%20original.gif

I like both Android and iPhone but it sometimes gets annoying.

How dare you! Not even a mention of WINDOWS PHONE!? :mad:

lol.

Personally, I tend not to even bother with people who feel the need to selflessly defend a product/corporation until the end. I appreciate their enthusiasm and inevitable e-rage though; which is fun for all parties participating in/viewing the conversation.

Click your heels three times and type "Windows 8 sucks"; a few of them should jump right in and tell you all the reasons why you're wrong. ;)

True, it's not fanboyism if it's the truth :)

How dare you! Not even a mention of WINDOWS PHONE!? :mad:

I hate Windows 8/Metro, and think Android is currently the best phone.
However, if Microsoft brings out an x86 based phone, with descent specs, I'd actually consider switching.

Guess that's about as far from being a fanboy as I can get.

Click your heels three times and type "Windows 8 sucks"; a few of them should jump right in and tell you all the reasons why you're wrong. ;)

There's lots of reasons to not like 8 and much of it makes sense. But there's a of very bizarre and just incorrect things that get said repeatedly and its more of a matter of just getting out simple facts more than anything else. But that's true of just about any subject that's polarizing, the truth is generally in the middle and it's never as good or bad as the extremes make it out to be.

New elements, like Apps, also give companies more tools to encourage fanboyism ... if you purchase Smartphone Apps (and the longer you own a Smartphone the more you tend to accumulate) then you eventually become locked into a platform making it economically undesirable to switch (even if you might be tempted) ... so to justify the platform you are now locked into you must adopt the Fanboy mentality of defending it at all costs ... I think Babylon 5 (the best sci fi show EVER :p ) had a quote that summed it up nicely, "There is always choice. We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made." ;)

FanBoyism is just another method of coping with buyers remorse. Has anyone truly been surprised it exists?

Correction: Dallas Cowgirls

Sir, I stand corrected!

Personally I have fun being a fanboi, or in general a fan of stuff.

Being logical and intellegent about some things makes sense, but sometimes it is fun to be goofy, idiotic, and irrational.

I am a fan of Benfica (footbal team), McLaren (F1 team), Oakland Raiders (American footbal team), Nvidia video cards (GPU maker), Americans (people from the USA), woman (humans with vaginas), and Windows (OS that has many PC Video games).

You think I am idiotic? well fuck you. :p

FanBoyism is just another method of coping with buyers remorse. Has anyone truly been surprised it exists?

I never had to cope with buyers remorse when I bought/rented vaginas.

I agree.

But an interesting tell in an article none the less, why not use a more recent Political example (like they do with the tech fanboi examples) like -- i don't know -- the rush of the anti war left defending Obama?

This is the subtle bias that irritates me.

Other than that I though the article was interesting.

I have no idea why politics are lumped into fanboyism.
These are tied to core beliefs(or the lack of) not disposable products.

I think Apple fanboys get their jollies off of ripping on microsoft more so than they do from actually enjoying the product.
Actually, if you look, you'll find more folks hating on Apple users than Apple users hating on other folks. Linux guys are the anti-Microsoft crowd!

Actually, if you look, you'll find more folks hating on Apple users than Apple users hating on other folks. Linux guys are the anti-Microsoft crowd!

Yah, we are the tea partyers of the PC world. :D

As far as Apple, they always seemed to be a cult following. Guess they serve cool-aid.

Yea you are sure. The author went fanboy by "attacking", ironic huh.

Well a large chunk of Apple fanboy users brought that on themselves, you can be self-superior and obnoxious for only so long before people become annoyed with it.

I disagree. What you say is a thing, but that thing isn't fanboyism.

Becoming (joining a herd) a fanboy is an easy way for insecure people to feel less terrible about themselves.

Anyway, I think I will never be able to understand this "brand loyalty" thing. Thank God. :D

Hahahaha, wow. The argument about Reagan was spot on...his supporters are a prime example of political fanaticism.

Does this mean that if your super rich and buy both choices that you have No remorse or have Twice as much?

Does this mean that if your super rich and buy both choices that you have No remorse or have Twice as much?

Most 'rich' people still tend to justify their purchases with an explanation of 'why they made that particular choice', which to others is seen as 'fanboy' behavior.

...thus the Intel Lemmings and nVidiots. :p

Go!

I've always been ok with Nvidia. Until I got a laptop with ati mobile card and a couple 6950s Crossfire setup because the benchmarks and prices were right, then a laptop with amd trinity APU thingy. Now I am a hardcore Nvidia fanatic and will never, ever again buy anything else as I paid dearly for that mistake in both cases. I might sacrifice a goat to it.

Worse is I'm dead serious.

Back