AT&T Apologizes For Lame 9-11 Tweet

I can go out and buy tons of 9/11 merchandise without batting an eye, but AT&T crossed the line... somehow...

On flag day, I put up an American flag made in China, but AT&T crossed the line... somehow...

I don't get it. It's not a bad thing, is it? Not a great marketing picture, but it's not offensive or bad in any way... Maybe I'm missing something. I just don't see anything wrong.

It's not a bad thing, and most companies aren't even putting out tributes for 9/11. Sorry, but where in that pic is AT&T marketing anything? I don't even see an AT&T logo on the phone being displayed.

Only "lame" thing I see is that the OP posted this shit in the News section instead of on some personal blog where he can spout BS in a corner. Not even an AT&T customer, nor do I agree with many of their business practices, but this didn't even warrant an apology and certainly doesn't warrant tech sites' criticism.

I think if a company decides to use something like this for marketing purposes and it blows up in their face, they got what they deserve. Just my $0.02.

I don't get it. It's not a bad thing, is it? Not a great marketing picture, but it's not offensive or bad in any way... Maybe I'm missing something. I just don't see anything wrong.
I'm in the same boat. I think it's actually tasteful--using your phone to complete the skyline as it once was...

I think if a company decides to use something like this for marketing purposes and it blows up in their face, they got what they deserve. Just my $0.02.

I thought it came off as a nice tasteful tribute. Marketing? Most everything is - the World Trade Center movie profited off the disaster. So did the movie about the plane.

Now, the Marriott thing....

HmtTgco.jpg

This was posted on a Twitter account, not used in a TV commercial with a glowing AT&T logo and Beatles music playing during halftime. Seriously, just WTF @ this mentality that anything posted by a corporation is automatically a marketing ploy?

Man the whiny butt-hurt easy to offend, fragile feeling womans club is out in full force on that twit-ter feed.

Ohhh..Kittens lost their mittens..poo poo there there

9-11 = A little payback for our endless world meddling part 1
Part 2 ..we go into unrecoverable dept and lose many of our freedoms, liberties and privacy..forever
Part 3..Failed State and Revolution
Part 4..They win

I'm not the "my panties are in a bunch" kind of guy. But I can see the backlash here. It just looks and feel like a bad product placement ad that you would see in a movie or on TV - but set to 9/11. It's just not well done, and I think it's irking people. Same goes for the Mariott thing - how the hell does free muffins and coffee for 30 minutes have anything at all to do with 9/11? Oh thanks Marriot - THAT makes it all better! lol Idiots. Not the end of the world, but they get what they deserve...

That said - people sure are stupid and I'm sure are WAY overreacting...

Hardly the first group to exploit the event for some kind of gain and wont be the last, still gross though.

This was posted on a Twitter account, not used in a TV commercial with a glowing AT&T logo and Beatles music playing during halftime. Seriously, just WTF @ this mentality that anything posted by a corporation is automatically a marketing ploy?

Maybe you've been living in the woods too long, but corporate twitter accounts posting things that gets regurgitated and trickled out to the ends of the net *is* the new "TV commercials"

It's cheap, and it's exploitation.

The ultimate irony is that they had the nads to use "Never Forget" while using the occasion to boost their own products. Maybe AT&T should have remember what that day was about, and no, it wasn't about "go out and buy shit".

Maybe you've been living in the woods too long, but corporate twitter accounts posting things that gets regurgitated and trickled out to the ends of the net *is* the new "TV commercials"

They weren't even directly selling anything in the tweet.

Now if it was - "Celebrate your freedom on the nation's freest 4G network, also buy a Galaxy S4" - That would be a dick move.

Yeah! What morons think that social media is used for advertising? Crazy bastards! :eek:

I thought it came off as a nice tasteful tribute. Marketing? Most everything is - the World Trade Center movie profited off the disaster. So did the movie about the plane.

HmtTgco.jpg

Hell, I didn't even get free muffins at Marriott on 9/11/01 and I was staying there!

They weren't even directly selling anything in the tweet.

They weren't? There's a fucking CELLPHONE in the photo. Had they simply had the same photo with the twin towers and no phone in the shot we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

They weren't? There's a fucking CELLPHONE in the photo. Had they simply had the same photo with the twin towers and no phone in the shot we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I don't know what phone it was. They weren't trying very hard to sell that cellphone if I don't know what it was.

same company who things its okay to spy on its own people and share our info with other agencies.

I don't know what phone it was. They weren't trying very hard to sell that cellphone if I don't know what it was.

C'mon. You're a bright guy. Its obviously not about any particular model of phone. It was their "hey by the way we sell phones!"

Again, had they simply had a photo of the skyline with the twin towers and no phone crowbarred in there like "oh aren't we clever", that would've been the classier move.

I don't think anything is wrong with that at all.

C'mon. You're a bright guy. Its obviously not about any particular model of phone. It was their "hey by the way we sell phones!"

Again, had they simply had a photo of the skyline with the twin towers and no phone crowbarred in there like "oh aren't we clever", that would've been the classier move.

I'm not particularly offended by this, though it may not be all that classy. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it if it weren't for the outrage. I usually just assume advertisers are dumb whores and tune out any emotional response.

9/11, Never forget! Buy a data plan today!

(Brought to you by Carl's Junior)

Ugh, can't edit. I think I just thought of an idea for a new website:

WhenMarketingGoesFullRetard.com

120663_southpark_sorry_bp.jpg

I keep thinking of this when I see corporate issues and their responses. :)

Piggy backing your brand name onto something like 9/11 is a very bold marketing decision!

Even if your intentions were pure, the mechanics are still present. Even if people are butt hurt, the mechanics are still there. Basically, I'm guessing some young, first world adult-child pushed this through, and was successful for some reason.

I was not offended at AT&T's 9/11 picture one bit. I think it was actually classy and compassionate.

BTW: I still feel a deep down sadness for the victims of the 9/11 terror attacks to this day, I don't think any matter of time will erase that. I do understand it is less and less relevant to todays generations, mostly because the most vocal crowds were not old enough to have been emotionally impacted by the evil that happened way back in 2001...must seem as ancient as the Pearl Harbor attack to that crowd.

Hell, I didn't even get free muffins at Marriott on 9/11/01 and I was staying there!

The last time I stayed at the San Antonio Marriott, they had full complimentary breakfast. What changed?

This. Should have just left cell phone out the pic or put up US flag or something.

Sorry, not offended. There is zero branding in the picture. It could be anybody's cell phone on any carrier, and it's not displaying any particular features. And it's on their Facebook page where the only people who visit are probably already customers. They just wanted to have a cell-phone theme to the picture, since that is what they do.

Getting kind of sick of the perpetually and professionally offended.

http://i.imgur.com/HmtTgco.jpg[/I MG][/QUOTE]

Never forget: 9/11/13 free mini muffins for 1/2 hour.

:macrocryingeagleminimuffinsamericanflagblinganimation:

Back