Anti-Piracy “Strike” Schemes Are Not Effective

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why do they keep doing these studies? With the exception of the entertainment industry, it seems that everyone knows this doesn't work. Why not conduct studies on actual ways to curb piracy instead?

A new report published by Dr Rebecca Giblin of Monash University shows that graduated response systems are not as effective as rightsholders claim. A detailed review of “strikes” schemes around the world shows that there is no evidence that they lead to a reduction in piracy, and no evidence that authorized use is maximized.

Because we know how to deal with piracy, make the content avalible and easy to buy.
You can't even buy most TV shows without a US credit card. And even then you need to jump though hops to buy stuff.

Reform the entire copyright system, and make things a bit less expensive. Seriously, we're talking about corporations already raking in enormous amounts of money, complaining they're being robbed of an even more enormous, nebulous amount of money. For some reason I have a really really hard time giving a crap about their woes, especially since they can't seem to find a decent way to have a good digital market with fair prices and the ability to just, say, buy a show once, and have it in every format.

Then they milk everybody relentlessly with special editions and all that crap.. Then there is the music, where to get 100 good songs you have to buy 1000 other songs you don't want. Or you can buy them separately in relatively low quality MP3, for a higher price.

I long for the day where I can get music on, say, Amazon, just type in the song and group name, listen to a lower quality version to be sure it's the one I want, add it to my cart, maybe even have it be something like 99 cents for a single song or up to 50% off if you get, say, more than 10 songs, and be able to download it all in FLAC format. Then from there convert it to whatever I want, so I can use it on whatever device I want.

Something where you don't have to install a special player to access or can only get 256kbps MP3s.

As for movies and TV shows, they really need to come out with something better than what we have now for Internet streaming. It's a mess now. Everything is just a mishmash of availability. I have Netflix, but 9 times out of 10 when I think of a movie, I put it in and they don't have it. Even if you want to pay, it's a pain in the balls.

So, it's essentially a content presentation issue. The infrastructure for legal availability of content right now just too expensive, and sucks balls.

Back