GIGABYTE Updates BRIX Ultra Compact PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, is proud to announce the next generation GIGABYTE BRIX compact PC kit with new models featuring the latest 4th generation Intel® Core™ processors. The new GIGABYTE BRIX is available in four models, each powered by the latest ‘Haswell’ architecture CPUs, offering improved CPU and graphics performance plus native 4K display support. The new GIGABYTE BRIX also features a front SPDIF jack and expanded USB 3.0 connectivity.

Those look pretty nice. I like how they come with VESA mount brackets, and that they are passively cooled. :) Didn't think they'd put an i7 in the highest model.

Those look pretty nice. I like how they come with VESA mount brackets, and that they are passively cooled. :) Didn't think they'd put an i7 in the highest model.

I had to look that up myself. Turns out that, according to Intel Ark, that is a only a 2 core hyper-threaded CPU (15W TDP). I didn't know that there were 2-core i7s, but I suppose that is something new with Haswell. Makes sense though as a little box like this really needs to watch the thermals. http://ark.intel.com/products/75460/Intel-Core-i7-4500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

Overall, though, I'm fairly impressed with these for specific purposes. I could see one of the lesser models as a perfectly good "mom & dad" box, especially if a person hooked up an external optical drive and USB hub to it (people need something handy to plug their Flash drives and cameras into).

Where is the Brix XM1 AMD model that they showed at Computex? Bound to be a lot cheaper than a ulv Haswell unit. Still waiting on the mini PC form factor Jaguar models to show their faces. We have a couple older Bobcat ones at the office that work great as little thin clients or portable low power servers for conferences and trade shows.

Wss
I had to look that up myself. Turns out that, according to Intel Ark, that is a only a 2 core hyper-threaded CPU (15W TDP). I didn't know that there were 2-core i7s, but I suppose that is something new with Haswell. Makes sense though as a little box like this really needs to watch the thermals. http://ark.intel.com/products/75460/Intel-Core-i7-4500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

Overall, though, I'm fairly impressed with these for specific purposes. I could see one of the lesser models as a perfectly good "mom & dad" box, especially if a person hooked up an external optical drive and USB hub to it (people need something handy to plug their Flash drives and cameras into).

Sandy bridge had some mobile cpu skews that were dual core, dont think they were ulv though.

Okay.
About $80 for a 60GB SSD.
About $140 for 16GB of memory.

The older BRIX were <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=+50001314&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=-1&description=BRIX&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=">between $300 and $500.</A>

So, about $700 fully tricked out.

Considering that these are heavily cut-down CPUs (for thermal reasons), if you're looking for a full time PC, this probably isn't such a great deal. But if you HAVE to have absolutely minimal footprint and remain Wintel/Lintel? Yeah, they're not bad little boxes.

I have to do video presentations at a couple conventions every year. And this sort of thing could save me from needing to lug a laptop around all over the place.

i didn't get the first rev due to not having audio out. now i wish they would give option of having one without CPU so you can buy whatever CPU you like. since top end i7 has intel 5000 graphics and vPro for about $50 more.

Depending on pricing, I might abandon my wet dreams of mounting a Jaguar on the back of my TV.

Depending on pricing, I might abandon my wet dreams of mounting a Jaguar on the back of my TV.

Once you said Jaguar, thoughts of my old car came up, which then migrated to: This would be awesome as a car PC!

The first thought of jaguar was the old Atari Jaguar game console. I thought it was odd to want to mount that thing on the back of your TV :p

sweet dreams, sweet prince.

AtariJaguar.jpg

after looking at those prices on newegg i just went ugh....thought the nuc was high enough and now these

Back