'World of Warcraft' Patch 5.4 Launches Tuesday

Now if they only address the lag issues that a lot of people are having it would go more smoothly.

Lag could be a lot more than just the game or game servers. There's usually a lot of wires and junk between a person and the server they're playing on so it may not be nice to blame the WoW people for all fo the laggies out there.

Now if they only address the lag issues that a lot of people are having it would go more smoothly.

I play on Kel'Thuzad and Mal'Ganis. If there's going to be any lag it will be there and there is none for me.

This has been my fav xpac of them all. Our guild was 13/13H this last patch. Look forward to the new content.

Yeah I play on a massive horde server. We have zero lag. The guy might be referring to another time and place in regards to his comment.

I last played at 4.2. I wonder how drastic it would seem to me if I suddenly play again. lol

If only the game was fun like back in BC-Lich-king. Now it's just boring! With Final fantasy online and elder scrolls online coming out i won't be looking back!

Can someone tell me why WoW still looks like ass? There's no excuse; look at FFXIV.

Can someone tell me why WoW still looks like ass? There's no excuse; look at FFXIV.

It is an old engine that they tweak for every expac. It runs on anything and handles massive amount of players without issue. Guild Wars 2 was a slideshow with just a couple hundred..

It still has better animations then any game on the market that I know of. Plus the UI is completely customizable making the game much more pleasant to play then any other MMO I have tried.

A more fair comparison would be a game released near WoW's launch such as EQ2 or FFXI. The game is 9 years old. You have to compare apples to apples.

I really miss WoW...so many fun times. I wish I could go back, but I just don't have the time to get out of the game what I would want.

If I could go back to the Vanilla days and stay there and play with the people I use to I would in a heart beat.

I despise people who think that superior graphics is what makes a superior game. My favorite game of all time is Star Control 2 from 1993 and look how popular Minecraft is.

As usual, Blizzard rocks it when it comes to cinematic trailers. Still remember the trailer for Black Temple; still gives me chills.

It's been a pleasant expansion, a lot better then Cata at least, I'm looking forward to it.

I still buy a 60 days sub from time to time. Just can't get into other newer MMO.

They have said that raid lag is coming from healers. I am not sure if they have hot fixed it yet or if it is coming in the patch.

This is the longest I have ever been away from WoW but that cinematic was pretty awesome and has me thinking about resubbing. Plus I just hit level 60 in NW and I am kind of bored.

I really miss WoW...so many fun times. I wish I could go back, but I just don't have the time to get out of the game what I would want.

If I could go back to the Vanilla days and stay there and play with the people I use to I would in a heart beat.

Feenix (private) server is just that.

They have a Vanilla and a BC server. Servers are stable and decent population. Just be aware that the earlier versions of WoW had some weird issues and they are still present here. Stuff like mob pathing including mobs that clip through the terrain and mobs that are under the terrain and attacking you but you can hit them.

You mean FFXIV, the game that was so poor at launch Sony had to apologize and remake 90% of it?

What is more important in an MMO?

A: Allowing dozens, possibly hundreds of players to be in a single area interacting with eachother, NPC's, and whatever else while providing a smooth gameplay experience for those even on older computers

B: Having the best, latest, most awesome graphics possible yet only a small percentage even have computers capable of maintaining about 30fps consistently when more than a couple dozen players are in the same area?

While I may not like diablo 3, or even think SC2 is particularly amazing, Blizzard was smart about the system requirements for those games during development to allow a much broader spectrum of players to actually have a smooth playing experience(gameplay issues in D3 aside...) rather than expecting what is pretty much the bulk of their audience to drop $600 on videocards every couple of years just to maintain a steady 60fps or not spend 15% of their time playing sitting at loading screens.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate a game experience with everything cranked to the max sometimes(hell, I'm still rocking a gtx 590 of all things), but it is certainly not the major draw for me to any games in particular.

Being old, WoW still requires some nice hardware to push max settings @ 1080p. MoP zones would crush my framerate until I upgraded to an i5 with a GTX670 I was able to fly through them above 50-60fps. Still drops low in some instances, but I don't notice any huge slowdowns very often with everything maxed.

They would have to switch from ATT and even then who knows if that would fix the issue. The increase of Streaming is hammering most of the highend ISPS. Yes yes they should upgrade but of course that is costly and they need a new yacht.

What is more important in an MMO?

A: Allowing dozens, possibly hundreds of players to be in a single area interacting with eachother, NPC's, and whatever else while providing a smooth gameplay experience for those even on older computers

WOW does not really allow hundreds of players near each other. You start getting server lag now with even 40v40. Even in Vanilla, which was a bit better, topped out at about 75v75 before things were brought crashing down.

They have said that raid lag is coming from healers. I am not sure if they have hot fixed it yet or if it is coming in the patch.

This is akin to the lag in Naxx40. They are putting too much work on the current servers/network. Smart heals and intensive data pushing. They keep wanting to improve encounters so they are not all tank and spank, but to do so they end up stressing out the hardware.

NAXX40 they made the mistake or not upgrading all servers before release. This time they are just not into investing in new hardware(why with declining playerbase) or they reached the limit.

Lag just depends on which ISP and how well they get along with ATT.

The trailer looks nice, but trailers don't make a great game. I left WoW over two years ago, and I wonder if it's still the same: a grind of daily quests, random dungeons with complete d-bags, and any desirable mounts and pets requiring additional payment.

This has been my fav xpac of them all. Our guild was 13/13H this last patch. Look forward to the new content.

I run with a 10man, some of us have played back since Wrath. We have a core of about 5 top tier players I would say that perform very high above average, including myself. But jesus, finding 5 other people who can do the same has proven to be impossible these past couple tiers. We've had to PUG most weeks because we either: 1) dont have people that are consistent, 2) they're consistent but unreliable, 3) something comes up (which I understand, but we had 2-3 people literally disappear without a word), 4) quit, 5) had 1 tank faction transfer. We only got to 2/13H and couldn't work on any more since the above 5 things happened. And we only raid two nights a week which is the max I can handle at about 3-4 hours each day. I can't even imagine keeping a tight roster on a 25 man guild. Yikes.

I run with a 10man, some of us have played back since Wrath. We have a core of about 5 top tier players I would say that perform very high above average, including myself. But jesus, finding 5 other people who can do the same has proven to be impossible these past couple tiers. We've had to PUG most weeks because we either: 1) dont have people that are consistent, 2) they're consistent but unreliable, 3) something comes up (which I understand, but we had 2-3 people literally disappear without a word), 4) quit, 5) had 1 tank faction transfer. We only got to 2/13H and couldn't work on any more since the above 5 things happened. And we only raid two nights a week which is the max I can handle at about 3-4 hours each day. I can't even imagine keeping a tight roster on a 25 man guild. Yikes.

It really depends on your server. WoW in NA has had decline populations for quite sometime. Much longer then you might expect. When you consider Classic had 40 man raids, BC 25 man, and now most servers can barely support 10 man heroic raiding guilds. People left because they were not having fun and it is difficult to tell others look I am just not enjoying spending time here:) It does not mean it was the fellow raiders...maybe they just dislike low pop/unbalanced servers with failing economies

i'm a lapsed raider. i play, i have fun, occasionally i'll go on a raid with a guild that knows me. i just started raidfinder- but find myself 2nd or 3rd on HPS consistantly- i do well at dps, but lack the higher end weapons to be more than middle of the pack dps wise(dual level 370 weapons). i usually heal in raids due to well, getting in faster as heals.

my wife- hunter/monk/druid- is OCD about noncombat pets.

you know the increase to 1000 pets going live tomorrow? she currently has ~500 unique noncombat pets. she has doubles of alot of them as well.

she will have about 800ish once it goes live & she relearns all the pets that she has boxed.

they got this expansion right the issue is that the game has been around a long time and doesnt attract that many new players. I have tried many other mmo's and i have yet to find one that was as consistant and fun as wow. I have the smae problem many people do who raid. Getting people who are consistant can be a challenge. Maybe with the virtual realms that will resolve that issue and we can go back to having more active players. ANd not sure what lag the first poster was talking about sounds to me like a mostly local issue to him.

Those population drops are not a problem, the problem is the reminding population does not really know how to play (so sad). Too much quitters, too many self proclaim knowitalls. Keep in mind that this problem is not exclusive to WoW, but to all MMO.

As to graphics, it is balanced during fights(raid boss encounters), not standing somewhere remote alone with a friend. If you want to drive high-end computer to its knees, all you need to do is the have 3x120hz 3d LCDs and turn on 3d. WoW is one of the best game that renders almost everything correctly in 3d. Aside from FPS, Response time is very important that nay sayers do not talk about. Aside from the number of datacenter, WoW has introduced a lot of server side optimization to allow quick response time plus command queue, plus separation between text channel and game world and seemless server transfer. These are things most MMO lacks and all people know is ping.

One of the real shortfall of WoW is that it has became a grind feast, there are absolutely no exclusive gameplay for better gamers. The since of EPIC is totally gone, and as mentioned, you really can't distinguish good players from bad ones as bad ones may actually have better gears than good players thanks to grinding. Elite guilds are shrinking due to a) good player have their own guild instead of staying in one guild, partly due to the fact that you need a fix number of people to raid, and thus forcing people to sit, and b) conflict, which can't be avoided. Eventually, most guild simply starts to invite random people just so that they don't have to pug outsiders.

Another shortfall is raid locks. It is clear that it is unnecessary as you can do LFR all day long, just no drops, but you still get locked in 10/25 raid. This is in a way forcing people to do LFR with all active toons, but there are no controls to people's behaviors in LFR, which leaves a bad tease in people's mouth, one way or the other when things go wrong.

With the introduction of flexible raids, guild runs should once again be fun. Aside from that, the new connected realm should also fix issues due to population. Lastly, it also introduce a new way to distinguish better players via proving ground scores. All these are very sounding, at least for a short while until it gets hit by the QQ train.

I played from late Cata to early MoP with a small break at the end of Cata. This game is in serious need of server merges. I guess Blizzard just doesn't want to admit they are losing pop, but they are losing pop now due to attrition of it being boring or difficult to put things together like kidstechno mentioned. I had 10 man group that just wasn't consistently getting together with several people that just didn't get it. It was a fun group, but at the end of the day progress wasn't being made. Face it, the solo game is a major pushover so once it's done all you ahve is to either grind dailies (no thank you) or raid. If you can't get a consistent raid team together, why bother. Also, MoP killed alts. I liked playing my other alts personally. Oh well, that's time I no longer worry about.

I played from late Cata to early MoP with a small break at the end of Cata. This game is in serious need of server merges. I guess Blizzard just doesn't want to admit they are losing pop, but they are losing pop now due to attrition of it being boring or difficult to put things together like kidstechno mentioned. I had 10 man group that just wasn't consistently getting together with several people that just didn't get it. It was a fun group, but at the end of the day progress wasn't being made. Face it, the solo game is a major pushover so once it's done all you ahve is to either grind dailies (no thank you) or raid. If you can't get a consistent raid team together, why bother. Also, MoP killed alts. I liked playing my other alts personally. Oh well, that's time I no longer worry about.

Care to explain why?

Really, there's no excuse other then development time. Blizzards response is, would you rather have...

A. More content?
B. Nicer graphics?

Most people choose content, cause graphics aren't that important. Also, take into account that Garrosh's model is probably what all orcs will eventually look like. Not this expansion, but next expansion will have a lot of models updated.

But yea, the WoW engine is old. Like Warcraft 3 old. It's just been updated to hell and back. The game engine is 64-bit now, and supports Directx11 which gives it a nice speed boost. But WoW isn't multi-threaded, unless you count using a second core for sound, and even then if you have a Creative Sound card then not really.

Look at it like this. Most people don't have performance issues in the game in PvP or 10m raids. But in 25m raids a lot of peoples computers hit a brick wall. The game can be very unplayable when 24 other people are performing spells and abilities. So unless they fix their game engine to utilize hardware better, the graphics will suffer. But again that's probably next expansion.

Back