Happy Belated Birthday Google!

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google quietly passed its 15th year in operation with very little fanfare, so little it seems, that many missed the event entirely. Much has been accomplished since BackRub, as Google was first known, was conceived. Check out the 15 Google fun facts in celebration of Google’s 15th anniversary. :cool:

"Its early days of setting the golden standard for searching for stuff online never even hinted at what it may, one day, become. With fingers in, what seems like, every conceivable pie, it has changed the shape of the mobile industry, led the charge on a proposed 'renewable energy tariff' and is pretty close to innovating and lobbying driverless cars into reality.

Such divisive rhetoric. The anti-Google juju is strong with hardOCP lately. Paranoia is powerful.

Ohhh noooess.. there is someone wrong on the Internet.. and it is MajorDomo & the Telegraph!! Way early on the Google birthday wishes.. it isn't until September 27!!

Googles_14th_Birthday-2012-2-hp.gif

Guess when the above Google doodle was posted.. on September 27, 2012!!

Google apparently has a few "birthday dates" it can choose to use though it never seems to use any of the ones that make sense.. like.. the "google.com" domain was registered on Sept 15, 1997.. and on Sept. 4, 1998, the company filed papers establishing it as a California corporation, which is what the Telegraph article is referring to. For some reason, Google has waffled usually between September 7 or 27 as it's birthday. Danny Sullivan wrote this on September 27, 2005 lamenting that Google JUST celebrated it's birthday on September 7th..

How does Google get to have two birthdays in the same month? Google's Marissa Mayer told me when I asked her about this earlier this week that Google internally has often celebrated the birthday on various different days in September over the years. It's now settling on Sept. 27.

So.. when was this Google doodle used?

5th_birthday.gif

You were probably wrong on your guess.. it was September 8, 2003 WHAT?? September 8th??

But just the year before, the very first Google birthday doodle to celebrate it's 4th birthday was on September 27..

4th_birthday.gif

Mmm.. I am liking this consistency of inconsistency!!

Google birthday doodles
----------------------------------
2002 - Sept 27
2003 - Sept 8 (this may be wrong.. read bottom of this post)
2004 - Sept 7
2005 - Sept 26 (this may be wrong.. read bottom of this post)
2006 - Sept 27
2007 - Sept 27
2008 - Sept 27
2009 - Sept 27
2010 - Sept 27
2011 - Sept 27
2012 - Sept 27

Was there a Google birthday doodle on Sept 4, 2013.. huhhhh.. NOOO!! Sorry Al.. and that Telegraph article.. but you both are wrong.. at least until Google changes the date again!!

I do agree that Sept 4, 1998 SHOULD be Google's birthday.. Wikipedia agrees as it lists that day as Google's founding. Why was Sept 27, 1998 picked at Google's birthday? HistoryOrb.com says it was the date "Google is launched". Clearly though, Google was already in business by that date having been given $100,000 the month before. Wikipedia has that date as being "The Google internet search engine retrospectively claims this as its birthday." I don't know why this date is used.. probably some binary reason.. or rational billionaires know about.

I will close by linking to someone who already put a bunch of thought into this "birthday" question.. and if I had known about this page before writing all of this, I would have just linked to it instead of doing all this work myself :mad: Finding The Real Google Birthday (this linked page has the 2003 & 2005 Google doodles being used on Sept 7, 2003 & Sept 27, 2005 but both are currently listed by Google as being used on Sept 8, 2003 & Sept 26, 2005.. perhaps more Google revisionist history going on!!)

Ohhh noooess.. there is someone wrong on the Internet.. and it is MajorDomo & the Telegraph!! Way early on the Google birthday wishes.. it isn't until September 27!!

Googles_14th_Birthday-2012-2-hp.gif

Guess when the above Google doodle was posted.. on September 27, 2012!!

Google apparently has a few "birthday dates" it can choose to use though it never seems to use any of the ones that make sense.. like.. the "google.com" domain was registered on Sept 15, 1997.. and on Sept. 4, 1998, the company filed papers establishing it as a California corporation, which is what the Telegraph article is referring to. For some reason, Google has waffled usually between September 7 or 27 as it's birthday. Danny Sullivan wrote this on September 27, 2005 lamenting that Google JUST celebrated it's birthday on September 7th..

So.. when was this Google doodle used?

5th_birthday.gif

You were probably wrong on your guess.. it was September 8, 2003 WHAT?? September 8th??

But just the year before, the very first Google birthday doodle to celebrate it's 4th birthday was on September 27..

4th_birthday.gif

Mmm.. I am liking this consistency of inconsistency!!

Google birthday doodles
----------------------------------
2002 - Sept 27
2003 - Sept 8 (this may be wrong.. read bottom of this post)
2004 - Sept 7
2005 - Sept 26 (this may be wrong.. read bottom of this post)
2006 - Sept 27
2007 - Sept 27
2008 - Sept 27
2009 - Sept 27
2010 - Sept 27
2011 - Sept 27
2012 - Sept 27

Was there a Google birthday doodle on Sept 4, 2013.. huhhhh.. NOOO!! Sorry Al.. and that Telegraph article.. but you both are wrong.. at least until Google changes the date again!!

I do agree that Sept 4, 1998 SHOULD be Google's birthday.. Wikipedia agrees as it lists that day as Google's founding. Why was Sept 27, 1998 picked at Google's birthday? HistoryOrb.com says it was the date "Google is launched". Clearly though, Google was already in business by that date having been given $100,000 the month before. Wikipedia has that date as being "The Google internet search engine retrospectively claims this as its birthday." I don't know why this date is used.. probably some binary reason.. or rational billionaires know about.

I will close by linking to someone who already put a bunch of thought into this "birthday" question.. and if I had known about this page before writing all of this, I would have just linked to it instead of doing all this work myself :mad: Finding The Real Google Birthday (this linked page has the 2003 & 2005 Google doodles being used on Sept 7, 2003 & Sept 27, 2005 but both are currently listed by Google as being used on Sept 8, 2003 & Sept 26, 2005.. perhaps more Google revisionist history going on!!)

Cliff notes? This is [H]ardOCP. We don't read all that text

Back