The News from the Apple Event is No News on Apple TV

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Expecting that big announcement of the upcoming release of new Apple TV hardware at next week’s Apple Event? You are going to be a bit disappointed at the news….or lack of it.

Earlier in the week, global trade intelligence company Panjiva discovered some suggestive shipments of "set-top boxes," kicking up a widespread rumor that Apple would unveil a new piece of hardware next week.

I've been happy in my house on my computer, not a care about what Apple will announce next.

heheh, actually I came here with the hopes of being humored by people who end up disappointed by the rumor mill.

036_Cat_Therapy.png

I would assume because there is no TV and all the rumors are much like the rumors for the iphone 4, crazy and without merit.

seems like apple has run out of steam. Just the same old shit with upgraded internals. Not much different from HP's consumer line.

I was really hoping for a refresh in hopes that this version could be jailbroken so I could load xbmc.

I'm genuinely interested what people see in the ATV? Seems something like a Roku or WD TV Live is much better since it can play all the formats(lots of people with mkv which the ATV can't do). My parents bought an ATV, but it doesn't seem to really do anything special.

I'm genuinely interested what people see in the ATV? Seems something like a Roku or WD TV Live is much better since it can play all the formats(lots of people with mkv which the ATV can't do). My parents bought an ATV, but it doesn't seem to really do anything special.

If you have a newer iPhone and iPad you can AirPlay to the Apple TV.

Its just another player in the apple ecosystem. They need an end device for your TV, the centerpiece of your home entertainment. It doesn't do much itself other then just pull in data from other devices.

Apple TV was the first out of the gate with useful, easy to use screen mirroring. Now that the advantage is gone, Apple TVs are shit compared to the competition. I HATE HATE HATE that it requires my media to be added to itunes before it will play on the ATV.

Apple TV was the first out of the gate with useful, easy to use screen mirroring. Now that the advantage is gone, Apple TVs are shit compared to the competition. I HATE HATE HATE that it requires my media to be added to itunes before it will play on the ATV.

I use my iPad and iPhone to play my media to the atv. The app I use is called stream2me and I have the server app called serv2me running on my pc. It transcodes any file type on the fly.
I was dog sitting for a friend a month or so ago and he has an Apple TV and I was able to stream my videos from my home pc to my iPad and have it play on his Apple TV.
App was $3 or $4 and is well worth it, I use it daily on my iPad.

I loved my Apple TV two years ago. The problem is that they just don't release any apps. I just got new apps 1 year 8 months. I moved away from Apple and went to Roku because they just don't release any apps.

Its just another player in the apple ecosystem. They need an end device for your TV, the centerpiece of your home entertainment. It doesn't do much itself other then just pull in data from other devices.

So it's exactly the same as the previous ATV, a box that pulls the crap that you may have on iTunes on your computer/Mac, and the crap that is on the iTunes store...and that's about it. Bet it won't have the TV cables like the last one either (because that's the only freedom of choice the end user will get).

Back