Amazon Wants To Offer Its Smartphone for Free

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon will be the first tech giant to offer a free smartphone? You never know, a move like that by a company as big as Amazon, could force others to follow suit.

Which technology giant will be the first to offer a free smartphone? Amazon.com Inc. is making a play. In a previously unreported move, the online retailer and Kindle maker is considering introducing its long-planned smartphone for free to consumers, according to people familiar with Amazon’s effort.

before you make any call, read/send text message......how many ads must you watch or sit through?

My hand is up!

All my major purchases from from Amazon. All we buy locally is gas and groceries.
I would buy a car through Amazon if that was possible.
Would love to ditch Verizon for this.

I wonder how Google feels about this? They must not be too pleased that Amazon keeps using forked versions of Android and replacing all of Google's services with their own.

I wonder how Google feels about this? They must not be too pleased that Amazon keeps using forked versions of Android and replacing all of Google's services with their own.
Well that's kind of what you sign up for when you release a completely open source OS.

My hand is up!

All my major purchases from from Amazon. All we buy locally is gas and groceries.
I would buy a car through Amazon if that was possible.
Would love to ditch Verizon for this.

While I use Amazon for a lot of purchases, I'd still have to read the fine print to see if this offering would be "for me".

But, yeah, I'd buy a car through them if I could get a better deal than from a dealership. :D

Same way Linus feels about Google using his Linux kernel as a way to funnel people into their services. And when Linus isn't pleased...

torvalds_bird.jpg

I already have a mobile phone contract that gives me 120mins, 300texts and 500MB a month for free.

A free phone would complete the package.

There are already tons of free phones on carriers so what? When you consider the subsidy is worth 2-300$ off the price of a phone that means that of course an amazon phone would be free since all their devices target those price ranges or lower.

Second how is anyone going to follow suit when they all already offer free phones? They just happen to be the older models or lower end ones which is exactly what an amazon phone is going to be. The same people who dropped $200-$300 on premium phones will continue to do so.

There are already tons of free phones on carriers so what? When you consider the subsidy is worth 2-300$ off the price of a phone that means that of course an amazon phone would be free since all their devices target those price ranges or lower.

Second how is anyone going to follow suit when they all already offer free phones? They just happen to be the older models or lower end ones which is exactly what an amazon phone is going to be. The same people who dropped $200-$300 on premium phones will continue to do so.

The article mentioned the phone could be free regardless if you buy a plan with it or not. You are comparing it to phones sold for free only WITH a plan. I'm unaware of any OEM that sells a cellphone (let alone a smartphone) for $0.00 with out a plan.

The article mentioned the phone could be free regardless if you buy a plan with it or not. You are comparing it to phones sold for free only WITH a plan. I'm unaware of any OEM that sells a cellphone (let alone a smartphone) for $0.00 with out a plan.

"could be" which is there way of saying they haven't a clue what they are talking about. Nothing like a smart phone is going to be totally free its going to come with some strings attached IE contract that subsidizes it. Otherwise what stops people from just taking them and selling them?

"could be" which is there way of saying they haven't a clue what they are talking about. Nothing like a smart phone is going to be totally free its going to come with some strings attached IE contract that subsidizes it. Otherwise what stops people from just taking them and selling them?

Well, i would imagine the fact you can get one for free might make it hard to sell.

Well, i would imagine the fact you can get one for free might make it hard to sell.

Not really, you post up on ebay collect hundreds of them for $50 and sell them into a developing nation.

No idea, you were stating it was off of a contract, the article stated its opinion other wise. Right now we have no clue and there would be no real significance to this phone for the same reasons as you said.

While I use Amazon for a lot of purchases, I'd still have to read the fine print to see if this offering would be "for me".

But, yeah, I'd buy a car through them if I could get a better deal than from a dealership. :D

i wouldnt care

jeff bezos can have all my money

Back