California Abruptly Drops Plan For RFID Driver's Licenses

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hmmm, I wonder why California all the sudden backed away from this? Are elections coming up soon? ;)

The legislation, S.B. 397, was put on hold by the state Assembly Appropriations Committee, despite it having been approved by the California Senate, where it likely will be re-introduced in the coming months. Had the measure passed, it would have transformed the Golden State’s standard form of ID into one of the most sophisticated identification documents in the country, mirroring the four other states that have embraced the spy-friendly technology.

Funny how the libs' horrible legislation seems to get put on hold till after elections.

a lot of hubbub for something which can easily be defeated (at least the tracking issue) with mylar or aluminum

It wasn't dropped, just put on hold until they can sneak it through when everyone is looking at something else. Besides, who cares if we are broke, we can borrow even more money to implement this.

When they finally pass this, I'll just put mine in the microwave for several seconds :)

California - where the elected leaders know more about whats better for you than you do.

I hate this fucking idiot state.

"I'm just a bill. Yes, I'm only a bill..."

Good to see [H] still fails @ 3rd grade level government knowledge. :rolleyes:

Good to see [H] still fails @ 3rd grade level government knowledge. :rolleyes:

The same thing can be said about a large number of voters here in Cali.

As for me, if they do pass the law and issue the new licenses, a few seconds in my MRI scanner ought to do the trick. :D

Nothing more than a short reprieve until they find a way to sneak it through. Glad I don't live in Commifornian, but sadly, I live in a east coast state that's headed in the same direction. :(

I hate even having to use a cell phone because it can be tracked; much less some maniac putting a chip in my body. So glad I moved out of the USA it's going down hill so fast.

CA has become one of the most F***dup states in the union. 50 counties have proposed withdraw from CA and wanted create a new state. Of course the one party Commie CA legislation won't even talk to the governors. The people did this to themselves, they voted this shit into office. Then they whine and snivel and move to another state where they screw that up too.

Now consider Washington DC, a wonderful place not to visit. They just past a law that if you are caught with an expended shell casing in your possession, you go straight to jail. A fine and one year in the gray bar are waiting for you.

I'll just put mine on California's imaginary bullet train tracks. Zoom!

Would have made it too easy to track how many times libs cast votes...can't have that.

nothing a lot of RF cant fix

California - where the elected leaders know more about whats better for you than you do.

Let's see things universally accepted as bad for you but people still do. Speeding, Eating till obese and then some, all forms of recreational drugs, crime et al. Is your premise that they know better then the majority or the minority of the population? Or just you because the world revolves around you?

CA has become one of the most F***dup states in the union. 50 counties have proposed withdraw from CA and wanted create a new state. Of course the one party Commie CA legislation won't even talk to the governors. The people did this to themselves, they voted this shit into office. Then they whine and snivel and move to another state where they screw that up too.

Now consider Washington DC, a wonderful place not to visit. They just past a law that if you are caught with an expended shell casing in your possession, you go straight to jail. A fine and one year in the gray bar are waiting for you.
Outside of w.e 50 counties have proposed to withdraw from CA part, even if they did they would be a territory not a state. Outside of that they wouldn't be recognized as withdrawn in the US because Califronia was shaped by the federal congress and it's boundaries are defined, the overall scheme is ludicrous. I love the one party Commie CA part, you seem to no nothing of the gridlock minority parties have caused in the CA congress for dedicates along with the problems with CA's direct democracy laws allowing poorly written bills to be forced though into law off generous descriptions.

As far as the DC part why don't you read the actual firearm transportation laws, you get arrested if you have a unsecured firearm and from out of state, they are ordered to ask people if they see spent shell casing during a traffic stop if they have a gun and where is it. Guns transported though DC must be safely secured, unloaded and outside of the drivers reach. L2 read more then sensationalist crap bro.

Also i just looked it up 50 counties in CA would be all but 8 counties, there are 58 counties in CA. That's pretty impressive the amount of shit coming out of your mouth whiz187

Of course, it can just be put in a sleeve to prevent it being read. I carry my Nexus card (RFID card for crossing the border quickly) everywhere with me, in its copper sleeve. BC has an Enhanced Drivers License that is RFID enabled for crossing the border quicker than with a passport but slower than Nexus. It is the exact same thing California was proposing. Comes with a sleeve as well to prevent unauthorized reading. Canada's new RFID passports also come with sleeves I believe.

50 counties have proposed withdraw from CA and wanted create a new state.

Really. 50 counties eh? Out of 58? Shit there are 8 counties that touch the SF bay, so maybe those are the 8 counties that like California.

Pointless bitching about ceding aside, those FEW counties that proposing withdrawing have two things in common... 1) The population density is extremely low, meaning a few people with large plots of land, and 2) They are republican voting, more likely than not because the believe the republican is a better candidate but because it says republican next to the name. Basically they're pissed off because because the past 6 presidential election their vote "didn't count" due to the electoral process, and they miss days of old when before that 9 out of 10 times went republican.

So, just to be clear, paranoid whiners are not only upset about a possible RFID chip added to driver's licenses, but they're really upset because the enacting legislation for this terrifying intrusion (sic) has been put on hold.

Wow. This forum really is full of nuts.

Really. 50 counties eh? Out of 58? Shit there are 8 counties that touch the SF bay, so maybe those are the 8 counties that like California.

Pointless bitching about ceding aside, those FEW counties that proposing withdrawing have two things in common... 1) The population density is extremely low, meaning a few people with large plots of land, and 2) They are republican voting, more likely than not because the believe the republican is a better candidate but because it says republican next to the name. Basically they're pissed off because because the past 6 presidential election their vote "didn't count" due to the electoral process, and they miss days of old when before that 9 out of 10 times went republican.

Don't forget that most of them are huge farm/ag towns. If these are the same people as the "jeffersonian statists" then they all live close to the border of Oregon and Nevada. They might be a little "pissing into the wind" for my taste, personally speaking, but they do have a point why should they pay hilariously high fees and taxes for little or no services just because they live just inside the arbitrary state line?

Of course, I would just sell the land and move but AG people are notoriously sentimental to their detriment... this land has been in my family for generations blah blah blah. Yeah, because your ancestors didn't know how to do anything else.

As for RFID, I have been microwaving my cards and passports for years... catch up with the times people.

Outside of w.e 50 counties have proposed to withdraw from CA part, even if they did they would be a territory not a state. Outside of that they wouldn't be recognized as withdrawn in the US because Califronia was shaped by the federal congress and it's boundaries are defined, the overall scheme is ludicrous. I love the one party Commie CA part, you seem to no nothing of the gridlock minority parties have caused in the CA congress for dedicates along with the problems with CA's direct democracy laws allowing poorly written bills to be forced though into law off generous descriptions.

As far as the DC part why don't you read the actual firearm transportation laws, you get arrested if you have a unsecured firearm and from out of state, they are ordered to ask people if they see spent shell casing during a traffic stop if they have a gun and where is it. Guns transported though DC must be safely secured, unloaded and outside of the drivers reach. L2 read more then sensationalist crap bro.
What's our sales tax rate? Still the highest in the nation? Mmkay...

We pay how much to school illegal immigrant's kids in this state? 13.5 - 31% of our state's budget? Wow! We must be stupid!

SoCal dropped their nuclear power plants that powered 19% of their energy and replaced them with... money? LOL!

Where is the money for that bullet train? Spent already. D'oh!

I'm just waiting for Al Q'aeda to crash a plain into the state capital...

I like how sleepeeg3 didn't even try to address what Semantics said. Just essentially cut/pasted some right wing memes. An attempt at stream of consciousness prose I guess?

Like babbster mentioned this forum is full of nuts.

Whats funny too is that they have no problem with interfering with the rights of good law abiding citizens, but they'll hand out drivers licenses to illegal aliens no questions asked... why? Because the friends and children of the illegal aliens, which are automatically naturalized unlike other countries, vote Democrat.

Let's see things universally accepted as bad for you but people still do. Speeding, Eating till obese and then some, all forms of recreational drugs, crime et al. Is your premise that they know better then the majority or the minority of the population? Or just you because the world revolves around you?

His point was that elected officials rarely live the same kinds of lives as their constituents, therefore they really are out of touch with what people care about. People don't want to spend all this money on programs like this when there are more basic needs to be met.

Obesity/drugs- this is America. We are free. I am not fat nor do I do drugs, but I believe people should be able to live the way they want.

speeding/crime- those things are illegal...so I am not sure what your point is

I like how sleepeeg3 didn't even try to address what Semantics said. Just essentially cut/pasted some right wing memes. An attempt at stream of consciousness prose I guess?

I think he peaked when he put
When is that ever considered an acceptable statement?

What's our sales tax rate? Still the highest in the nation? Mmkay...

We pay how much to school illegal immigrant's kids in this state? 13.5 - 31% of our state's budget? Wow! We must be stupid!
Perhaps because having educated people whether legal or illegal is actually an overall benefit for everyone Mmkay...

SoCal dropped their nuclear power plants that powered 19% of their energy and replaced them with... money? LOL!
The whole country gave up on nuclear power plants.

[/quote]
And most obviously idiotic trollerizing comment of the year goes to... *DING* *DING* *DING* we have a winner.

I think he forgets that even Taxas a republican locked state(enforced though gerrymandering!) aid for education to illegal immigrants. Guess what educated people tend to do everything better, they are more employable, tend to commit less crime and even working illegal immigrants pay taxes, why because don't want to risk deportation off the IRS coming after you.

I think he forgets that even Taxas a republican locked state(enforced though gerrymandering!) aid for education to illegal immigrants.
The hispanic population in Texas has grown by 12% since 2000, and now account for over a third of the population at 37%.

Pro-hispanic legistlation is put in place because thats what people will vote for, and if they don't pander to such a large demographic (and polls show the majority of hispanic ancestry are sympathetic of illegal aliens which are predominantly from the South), Democrats can win the election on that alone.

Its the same reason that George Dubya enacted pro-illegal legistlation. VOTES!

His point was that elected officials rarely live the same kinds of lives as their constituents, therefore they really are out of touch with what people care about. People don't want to spend all this money on programs like this when there are more basic needs to be met.

Obesity/drugs- this is America. We are free. I am not fat nor do I do drugs, but I believe people should be able to live the way they want.

speeding/crime- those things are illegal...so I am not sure what your point is
So you're saying if obesity is illegal there isn't a point? The point was people do things that are universally accepted as bad for you. Thus "California - where the elected leaders know more about whats better for you than you do." can be true although more of the general, people are are not you can know what's better for you then yourself.

Just flat out concepts of freedom isn't an argument that's just shouting base so no one tags you on the playground. Why don't we let mentally disabled people have all the same freedoms as the general population? Why make the distinction? If we make that distinctions can't we make others? Where is the line? A real discussion is about where the line is, not everything is answered with a simple yes or no and a complex society shouldn't be ran on yes or no.

I honestly don't see the point in an RFID drivers license. It already has a magnetic strip for swiping, how lazy can people get?

Perhaps because having educated people whether legal or illegal is actually an overall benefit for everyone Mmkay...

The whole country gave up on nuclear power plants.
And most obviously idiotic trollerizing comment of the year goes to... *DING* *DING* *DING* we have a winner.[/QUOTE]

I went to elementary and junior high in California, mexicans made up the majority of both, money spent on educating them is a fucking waste 90% of the time. So no, spending money to "educate" people who dont give a shit is a waste and not a benefit to everybody.

The whole country hasn't given up on nuclear power, nuclear power has been fucked in the ass by the government for so long that it isnt worth it to try and build one. Nuclear power is the best option for power generation now, and the foreseeable future, but fucktard liberals love to try and say it is unsafe and dirty by using plants built 40 fucking years ago as examples.

And most obviously idiotic trollerizing comment of the year goes to... *DING* *DING* *DING* we have a winner.

I went to elementary and junior high in California, mexicans made up the majority of both, money spent on educating them is a fucking waste 90% of the time. So no, spending money to "educate" people who dont give a shit is a waste and not a benefit to everybody.

The whole country hasn't given up on nuclear power, nuclear power has been fucked in the ass by the government for so long that it isnt worth it to try and build one. Nuclear power is the best option for power generation now, and the foreseeable future, but fucktard liberals love to try and say it is unsafe and dirty by using plants built 40 fucking years ago as examples.[/QUOTE]
Nuclear power has been fucked in the ass by lobbying groups though the government but yeah if you want to blame the government go right ahead, they aren't blameless. But when only one group filled with people are bitching to the government guess who the government listens to.

And you followed those said "Mexicans" throughout their life and evaluated their worth to society in order to come up with that conclusion that it was worthless? Oh wait you mean people who don't give a shit about their education meaning about 2/3rds of any student body in k-12 education. You just added racism as a tack on to that statement.

Pro-hispanic legistlation is put in place because thats what people will vote for, and if they don't pander to such a large demographic (and polls show the majority of hispanic ancestry are sympathetic of illegal aliens which are predominantly from the South), Democrats can win the election on that alone.
37% is fairly far from 50.blah%. So no, by your own numbers, you can't win an election alone on racial pandering in Texas. At least not racial pandering that favors hispanics anyways.

37% is fairly far from 50.blah%. So no, by your own numbers, you can't win an election alone on racial pandering in Texas. At least not racial pandering that favors hispanics anyways.
Esp with how Texas draws their districts sure you'll win some heavily concentrated distributes but lose everywhere else and thus have no real representation.

Redistricting really needs to be taken out of state congress' hands in all states now just a few, so actual representation can be had, instead of safe seats for dems or republicans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas's_29th_congressional_district
Because you know that makes sense as a district.

I agree but getting the states to give that up and the people in those states to support such measures, especially when they're being so thoroughly lied to and manipulated by the same representatives who've gerrymandered things, is going to be tough to impossible to pull off.

Hell in Texas they actually brag about gerrymandering districts to give Republicans a unfair advantage in public and they still tend to get away with it.

In August of 2012, a panel of federal judges found that “substantial surgery” was done to predominantly black districts, cutting off representatives’ offices from their strongest fundraising bases, and blocked the changes.

“The map-drawers consciously replaced many of the district’s active Hispanic voters with low-turnout Hispanic voters in an effort to strengthen the voting power of [the district’s] Anglo citizens,” the judges wrote and accused Texas officials of trying to decrease the effectiveness of minority voters.

90% of the time? Really? I call such large bullshit on that obvious bullshit number that bulls are going "god damn this is a lot of shit"

Now I'm going to come back around at you... just because someone is Mexican in origin doesn't make them an illegal immigrant. In fact I probably wouldn't be going out on a limb and say that most of the people who take for granted their education and don't benefit are actual AMERICANS.

Besides, lets assume for the smallest of probabilities the 90% number isn't just a fabricated number... what about those 10%? Just fuck them? Seriously. If we ignored them all and refused to do anything for them crime would be through the fucking roof.

The whole country hasn't given up on nuclear power, nuclear power has been fucked in the ass by the government for so long that it isnt worth it to try and build one. Nuclear power is the best option for power generation now, and the foreseeable future, but fucktard liberals love to try and say it is unsafe and dirty by using plants built 40 fucking years ago as examples.
With the exception of this year, a new nuclear plant hasn't been built since like 1974. You need to let this hate of liberals go, liberals have not been in power that entire time. However you always seem to blame some other group for something happening you don't like those "fucktard liberals" are fucking your fucktard thinking all the way to fuck.

What other examples are you supposes to use if all you have is 40 year old examples? Either way point being, it wasn't California's fault that nuclear power went away in this country, the country as a whole gave up on it after Pennsylvania fucked things up in 1979... btw that's a red state... so it was fucktard conservative actions that ruined nuclear power for the rest of of :p

Just essentially cut/pasted some right wing memes. An attempt at stream of consciousness prose I guess?

You call facts "right wing memes" and then resort to name calling? Welp, I guess it works for television...

even working illegal immigrants pay taxes, why because don't want to risk deportation off the IRS coming after you.
*sigh* Do you even understand how our tax system works? If they are illegal, then they are not tracked by the IRS and never have to pay taxes. The ~2.1% of CA's state budget they pay in sales tax is it. That's the big problem with illegal immigration.

With the exception of this year, a new nuclear plant hasn't been built since like 1974. You need to let this hate of liberals go, liberals have not been in power that entire time. However you always seem to blame some other group for something happening you don't like those "fucktard liberals" are fucking your fucktard thinking all the way to fuck.
I wouldn't necessarily blame liberals in government, but the media for blocking access to nuclear power. They cause an unrealistic hysteria around it. Back when it first came out, Asimov was predicting we would have nuclear powered appliances by 2014! The media has caused red tape and protests that delay the development and discourage any profitable company from building new nuclear reactors.

The facts are, nuclear is extremely safe and cost effective compared to alternatives. Chernobyl resulted in around 4000 fatalities. Fukushima is projected to result in 130. Meanwhile, fossil fuels result in tens of thousands of deaths worldwide from particulate based lung cancers.

Alternatives to fossil fuel and nuclear? Wind power requires building noisy, 40 story turbines that cost around 3x as much. Solar costs 4-6x as much. This drives up the cost of everything made or produced in the USA. Nuclear is our best option.

Back