New Steam Trading Feature - Trade Offers

HardOCP News

[H] News
So what do you guys think about Steam's new Trade Offers program?

Today we’re shipping a new feature we’re calling Trade Offers that allows you to send a prepackaged trade to a friend. It’s similar to regular trading, except you propose the items for both sides. You select the items you’re willing to give up from your inventory and what you’d like to receive from your friend, and send it off. Your friend will receive a notification in the green drop down and can then choose to accept, decline, or make a counter offer. Unlike regular Steam Trading, you don't need to both be online at the same time. Plus, trade offers can be sent and received using a web browser.

It's a little better than nothing, but not by much.

At least its limited to friends only (for now). Steam already has too many idiots mass adding people or inviting them to random groups, it really doesn't need people spamming offers of stupidly one-sided trades.

IMO... it's fucking stupid. If these are your friends, then why can't you simply ask them for a trade so that you both need to get involved from the start as opposed to one friend who keeps asking for shit.

Seriously, this "trading" bullshit is right up there with the worst offenders such as locked content and DLC. Who is interested in this crap? Just fucking PLAY the damn games.

Virtual economies, virtual trades. What's next, virtual wanks?

I have hat for Team Fortress that I guess are worth real world $$... I use to get lame people adding me daily.

Seriously, this "trading" bullshit is right up there with the worst offenders such as locked content and DLC. Who is interested in this crap? Just fucking PLAY the damn games.

We actually already have Virtual Wanks in a certain Garry's Mod server.

There are several plans at work here. One is that Valve is actually trying to make this crap have value to us AND them, versus the EA model of everything they make only has value to them. Secondly, Valve is trying to find ways to ramp up community involvement from tutoring, to writing guides to making things in the workshop.

Wished we could trade off games in our list for another one in your friends list. I know I have some that I've beaten and would love to trade for something else.

People actually trade shit like this?

Now games, I can understand, but some dumb-ass hat or some such.....:rolleyes:

I didn't read the article but from the posts below it this seems pretty stupid.

i'm confused.. what are cards?

When you play games on steam, or buy certain games you earn trading cards. They don't actually do anything but give you something to collect and trade with friends online.

Haha, this brings back fond memories of item trading in Diablo 2.

I like it. There are so many of my games that I've finished or will never end up playing that I wouldn't mind trading to friends.

I like it. There are so many of my games that I've finished or will never end up playing that I wouldn't mind trading to friends.

You can't trade games. these are just the stupid trading cards that you get from playing games.

Back