My Passport Slim First 2 TB Thin Drive with Metal Case and Hardware Encryption

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD® today announced the availability of its My Passport® Slim™ line of portable hard drives, the first thin drives to offer up to 2 TB capacity, a metal enclosure, and 256-bit hardware-based encryption. The included WD SmartWare Pro data protection software allows users to back up their data to their My Passport Slim and keep an extra copy in their Dropbox account for peace-of-mind. The software also lets users back up their Dropbox1 account to the My Passport Slim. These features make the My Passport Slim an ideal choice for protecting, storing, and enjoying digital content on the go.

Pretty nice that it syncs the Dropbox and the portable HDD on the fly. That makes it a little bit more worth it. I wish however that the encryption would've been 1028 or even 2048 bit RSA.

I could stick a 2TB drive in my Seagate Go-Flex case I guess.

Pretty nice that it syncs the Dropbox and the portable HDD on the fly. That makes it a little bit more worth it. I wish however that the encryption would've been 1028 or even 2048 bit RSA.

RSA makes a terrible block cipher... Not only is it slow it just doesn't work very well that way. Typically when RSA based keys (typically certificates) are used to protect a large amount of data the RSA private key will be used to decrypt only the symmetric key which then is used for the actual block encryption. Symmetric block encryption makes much more sense which for better or worse the popular one seems to be AES at this point in time which we can pretty much assume they're using.

Back