Hynix Suspends Operations After Plant Fire

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Hynix has suspended operations at its plant in China after a fire broke out. The good news is that there were no serious injuries reported. The bad news, memory prices will be affected depending on the extent of the plant damage. :(

South Korean chipmaker SK Hynix Inc said on Wednesday it had suspended operations at its China plant, which produces around 12 percent of global computer memory chips, because of a fire. The world's No.2 maker of dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chips, which had a 30 percent of the market in the second quarter, said the China plant it has suspended produces around 40 percent of its total DRAM output.

i guess IF is the wrong way to ask,

How bad and how long is more like it.

i guess IF is the wrong way to ask,

How bad and how long is more like it.

Well...HDD prices are still high years after the flooded plants have resumed production, high being 2-3x what they were prior to the flood. And on top of that Sammy is gearing up DDR4 production.

Hope you have all the RAM you need for a few years.

i suspect foul play what a better time for the "accident" to happen then right before the shopping season!

i suspect foul play what a better time for the "accident" to happen then right before the shopping season!

Same here. Just like all the other ones in the past.

Doesn't matter.

The HDD price spike was blamed on the *fear of* a shortage, not any actual shortage.

Exactly. Same thing goes for how oil price fixing happens. Physical influence from mere speculation.

Seems like when RAM or HDD prices are rock bottom, some sort of disaster hits that causes the price to spike.... Hummm.

Can Samsung to spin up that MV-3V4G3D DRAM plant again? I want some of those beauties in 8GB DIMMs.

Because DDR3 prices haven't already gone up ~15-20% in the last 2 weeks for absolutely no reason at all.

Because DDR3 prices haven't already gone up ~15-20% in the last 2 weeks for absolutely no reason at all.

There was a reason for: they speculated a fire would happen at one of the plant, then lo a behold holy fuck it's a miracle prediction! :p

And memory prices have gone up about 50-60% in the past 6 months. I'm not fooled by what's really going on with the manufacturers...just more inter-corporation nudge nudge wink wink price fixing.

There was a reason for: they speculated a fire would happen at one of the plant, then lo a behold holy fuck it's a miracle prediction! :p

And memory prices have gone up about 50-60% in the past 6 months. I'm not fooled by what's really going on with the manufacturers...just more inter-corporation nudge nudge wink wink price fixing.

lol, couple this with was it last week's announcement that Samsung has gone to full production on DDR4 now? I expect hyperinflation on the DDR3 side of things now.

lol, couple this with was it last week's announcement that Samsung has gone to full production on DDR4 now? I expect hyperinflation on the DDR3 side of things now.

Yep. Paging memory prices from 2002. Memory prices from 2002, you are needed at the front desk.

Not to be rude but ever notice how there is ALWAYS a plant fire this time of the year, every year at the memory makers?

Not to be rude but ever notice how there is ALWAYS a plant fire this time of the year, every year at the memory makers?

Wouldn't it be great if in an ironic twist a fire broke out AND mother nature decided to throw that ever-so-convenient flood at the plant at the same time, thereby cancelling each other out?

I can see it now...

Manufacturing Exec: "How'd that fire turn out? Are we ready to jack up prices?"
Assistant: "About that..."

"memory prices will be affected depending on the extent of the plant damage. "

Ha. Prices will be affected whether there is damage or not.

I have such a surplus of ram I don't even care. Nothing uses the ram anymore anyway. Call me when intel starts making faster chips worth buying. No PC in my house has less than 8GB or ram. No PC seems to use more than 4.

I'm not one to don a tinfoil hat but ffs man. This shit is getting old and fast.

Can Samsung to spin up that MV-3V4G3D DRAM plant again? I want some of those beauties in 8GB DIMMs.

8's.... pfffttttt I want atleast some 16's.. I already have 8 sticks of 4gb running around

it shouldn't be too bad. They wouldn't want to get into shit for price fixing again. If I remember correctly, The problem with the flooding was that it affected the production of a part used buy several brands.

Seems like when RAM or HDD prices are rock bottom, some sort of disaster hits that causes the price to spike.... Hummm.

Humm..Indeed this seems to be the case.DDR4 is right around the corner...Hmm SSDs were looming large before.. HMMM ;)

Back