ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC Video Card Review - ASUS revamped the DirectCU II cooling system and visual style, providing a full non-reference video card with the ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DiretCU II OC. New is the hybrid CoolTech fan providing improved airflow, and a 10mm heat pipe. We will see how this video card performs against several GPUs.

While I understand putting this car up against a 7950 CF (relatively the same cost) I don't understand why you would put the 7970 platinum in there, while omitting the GTX TITAN results.. I mean.. its obvious that the 7970 platinum isn't going to match this card - but I think more people would be interested in the VS TITAN results.

You even put on the front page that the TITAN was one of its competitors.

Why was it omitted?

While I understand putting this car up against a 7950 CF (relatively the same cost) I don't understand why you would put the 7970 platinum in there, while omitting the GTX TITAN results.. I mean.. its obvious that the 7970 platinum isn't going to match this card - but I think more people would be interested in the VS TITAN results.

Why was it omitted?

Page 9 shows the TITAN vs this card.

Wow, 10C cooler full load and 5c cooler at idle then my EVGA GTX780 SC with the ACX cooler.

I wish I would have waited. My ACX is hot and loud compared to my previous triple fan Galaxy 580.

Really don't understand that at all, I have a 780 ACX and a 780 Classified card and both are not loud at all even when the fans are turned up to 100% but they're still almost whisper quiet even up to 70%. I certainly would call either of them hot either even when overclocked and a small voltage bump but I'll admit they probably don't run as cool as the Asus 780 which from all the reviews I've read seems to be cooler than any other 780 available by a good margin.

Thanks for the review. It's nice from a consumer viewpoint to see cards that are beating the Titans for considerably less. I would have been interested to see a 770, 760, or even a 680 in SLI as a comparison. Those would be viable options as an upgrade and I think they would have given better performance/price comparisons (especially for those of us sitting on an aging 680).

Based on the prices you listed at the beginning of the review, wouldn't a 3-way 7950 CF rig have been a closer match? You put the price of a 7950 at $240(and you can find some for closer to $200 on Newegg right now), so 3 of them would've been within $20 or so of the Asus card.

Good review.

Based on the prices you listed at the beginning of the review, wouldn't a 3-way 7950 CF rig have been a closer match? You put the price of a 7950 at $240(and you can find some for closer to $200 on Newegg right now), so 3 of them would've been within $20 or so of the Asus card.

Good point. The a price disparity is now so large between nvidia & AMD you can actually consider a 3-way setup vs. an ultra expensive single card.

How do these numbers compare if you used the OC settings for the Asus 7970? I recall it being a great overclocker.

Really don't understand that at all, I have a 780 ACX and a 780 Classified card and both are not loud at all even when the fans are turned up to 100% but they're still almost whisper quiet even up to 70%. I certainly would call either of them hot either even when overclocked and a small voltage bump but I'll admit they probably don't run as cool as the Asus 780 which from all the reviews I've read seems to be cooler than any other 780 available by a good margin.

Then you have either:

1. a VERY loud PC
2. don't care about noise

The ACX is hotter, louder, and uses more power than the Asus. They're nearly the same price too.

I also had an EVGA rep tell me it was normal for my card to artifact and crash in Tomb Raider. :(

edit: @ 100% fan, the ACX is easily one of the most annoying cards I've ever heard. The fan is not smooth at all. Instead is a broken up vaaabvvaroom, vvvavavaroom, vavavarooom. A friwnd of mine has one too and it does the same thing.

Last edited:
The ACX is a "decent" cooler but is in no way the best. The DC2 is better, IMO.

Did you guys set the powertune to 20% with the crossfire setup? In my setup i notice the video cards will downclock itself causing horrible lag in game, setting the powertune to 20% fixes this issue.

Your results are low, compared to my system at stock video card clocks. Either way nice review, the 780's are impressive.

Why was it omitted?

TITAN performance right here :)

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...rectcu_ii_oc_video_card_review/9#.UiaWbzbkt8E

Since we've already done TITAN a lot, we figured something new and different might be good to explore on the main tables, hence 7950 CF, which is the same price. It's an interesting combination, that we found price comparable. Unfortunately, we can only put a max of 4 cars on the tables/graphs, so TITAN had to be moved to its own direct ap2ap section. You can also see full TITAN performance against a 780 in our HOF review.

Then you have either:

1. a VERY loud PC
2. don't care about noise

The ACX is hotter, louder, and uses more power than the Asus. They're nearly the same price too.

I also had an EVGA rep tell me it was normal for my card to artifact and crash in Tomb Raider. :(

edit: @ 100% fan, the ACX is easily one of the most annoying cards I've ever heard. The fan is not smooth at all. Instead is a broken up vaaabvvaroom, vvvavavaroom, vavavarooom. A friwnd of mine has one too and it does the same thing.

1. No
2. I do

The ACX is slightly warmer, I doubt its any louder though based on all the reviews I've read. I'm not doubting that the Asus has a better cooler but its really limited it seems in overclocking compared to some of its competitors. The Asus is a great card but so is the EVGA ACX variants as all professional and user reviews have proven, your experience doesn't sound anything like what everyone is experiencing which is suspect unless you had a defective card.

Telling me that an EVGA rep told you it was normal for the card to artifact and crash in Tomb Raider sounds like a load of shit made up by you. I can't possibly imagine any manufacturer customer support telling a customer that was normal so you just lost all credibility with me concerning all of your statements thus far.

The ACX is a "decent" cooler but is in no way the best. The DC2 is better, IMO.

Also curious why it was discontinued. Hopefully they release another version of this card with the Direct CUII cooler and maybe a more generous OC.

1. No
2. I do

Telling me that an EVGA rep told you it was normal for the card to artifact and crash in Tomb Raider sounds like a load of shit made up by you. I can't possibly imagine any manufacturer customer support telling a customer that was normal so you just lost all credibility with me concerning all of your statements thus far.

It's really a matter of preference. But we have the same card. My friend has an ACX as well and feels similar to me about the noise level. So I'm fairly certain the HSF is not broken. Even Xonar in this very thread thinks the ACX fans are too loud. Here's a few more comments from around the web...

About the ACX cooler on the 770...
"Under normal use the EVGA card was noticeably louder as well..."

"Still on my 2nd ACX card, still the same ridiculous resonance from the fans at various speeds, still the same deathly silence from EVGA support. Will have to purchase an aftermarket cooler. Even the cheapo Palit cards I've had before didn't make any resonance noise. "

For what it's worth, I used an Android app called sound meter to check the noise from the card. What I found was this:

39% fan = 40db
70% fan = 45db
100% fan = 50 db

39% fan is audible over all my other case fans, but only slightly. @ 70% I begin to become annoyed. 100% isn't even an option as it simply overpowers even my closed headphones.

As long as I'm playing a game w/ lots of action and DO NOT overclock/overvolt, it's not a problem. But any quiet part, overclock/overvolt will push the fan above my tolerance threshold, which is admittedly VERY low vs most folks.

So when I say you have a loud PC, that's probably pushing it. But when I say you don't care about sound, it's obvious that to some extent, you do not. Or 70% would not be "whisper quiet" and 100% would not be tolerable. I'm glad you're able to deal w/ the noise and it doesn't bother you. People disagree, it's OK. ;)

As for the comment from EVGA, I created a post on OCN to get some thoughts from others. In it, you'll see that I spoke w/ another EVGA rep who told me that it SHOULD NOT artifact on a factory overclock. Also, the rep didn't say it was normal, but that it could happen. I can't help but think either he heard this from someone else and repeated it, or that perhaps Tomb Raider and it's next gen engine w/ things like tressFX actually do push cards harder than most and some of these SC's do fail.

Another poster commented that, "Could be factory TIM. I had a Titan that threw artifacts with just the tiniest of OCs. I re-applied the TIM. Bam, gone. After that it OCd like a beast, artifact free. Could have been a tiny spot on the GPU that did not have good contact with paste, heating it up. Even though it never showed high temps on PresX or AB."

I'm going to swap the TIM on it tonight and test again as it's an interesting theory. And much easier than having to RMA.

Now do you really think I would have taken the time to post all that if I was making it up? What could I possibly have to gain by making this up, lol. I suppose I could be a shill for Galaxy in an attempt to make EVGA look bad. :eek:

It's really a matter of preference. But we have the same card. My friend has an ACX as well and feels similar to me about the noise level. So I'm fairly certain the HSF is not broken. Even Xonar in this very thread thinks the ACX fans are too loud. Here's a few more comments from around the web...

About the ACX cooler on the 770...
"Under normal use the EVGA card was noticeably louder as well..."

"Still on my 2nd ACX card, still the same ridiculous resonance from the fans at various speeds, still the same deathly silence from EVGA support. Will have to purchase an aftermarket cooler. Even the cheapo Palit cards I've had before didn't make any resonance noise. "

For what it's worth, I used an Android app called sound meter to check the noise from the card. What I found was this:

39% fan = 40db
70% fan = 45db
100% fan = 50 db

39% fan is audible over all my other case fans, but only slightly. @ 70% I begin to become annoyed. 100% isn't even an option as it simply overpowers even my closed headphones.

As long as I'm playing a game w/ lots of action and DO NOT overclock/overvolt, it's not a problem. But any quiet part, overclock/overvolt will push the fan above my tolerance threshold, which is admittedly VERY low vs most folks.

So when I say you have a loud PC, that's probably pushing it. But when I say you don't care about sound, it's obvious that to some extent, you do not. Or 70% would not be "whisper quiet" and 100% would not be tolerable. I'm glad you're able to deal w/ the noise and it doesn't bother you. People disagree, it's OK. ;)

As for the comment from EVGA, I created a post on OCN to get some thoughts from others. In it, you'll see that I spoke w/ another EVGA rep who told me that it SHOULD NOT artifact on a factory overclock. Also, the rep didn't say it was normal, but that it could happen. I can't help but think either he heard this from someone else and repeated it, or that perhaps Tomb Raider and it's next gen engine w/ things like tressFX actually do push cards harder than most and some of these SC's do fail.

Another poster commented that, "Could be factory TIM. I had a Titan that threw artifacts with just the tiniest of OCs. I re-applied the TIM. Bam, gone. After that it OCd like a beast, artifact free. Could have been a tiny spot on the GPU that did not have good contact with paste, heating it up. Even though it never showed high temps on PresX or AB."

I'm going to swap the TIM on it tonight and test again as it's an interesting theory. And much easier than having to RMA.

Now do you really think I would have taken the time to post all that if I was making it up? What could I possibly have to gain by making this up, lol. I suppose I could be a shill for Galaxy in an attempt to make EVGA look bad. :eek:

The fact that you can only cite 2-3 examples of users that share your opinion out of the thousands of ACX owners tells me more than enough. If there were dedicated threads on multiple forums and negative reviews all across the internet about the ACX cooler's noise profile, I would certainly give your opinion some credit but that is not the case at all.

I really don't understand why you haven't returned the card for a replacement for refund since clearly your card has issues that no one else is having.

What does Galaxy have to do this conversation? This is an Asus thread.

That's because "silent" pc aficionados are a niche of a niche of a niche. PC gaming is a niche, buyers of high end video cards are a niche, buyers of non reference coolers are a niche, and those of us that like a near SILENT experience are even fewer in number.

The EVGA thread is filled w/ unhappy users.

Galaxy has nothing to do w/ thread. It's a completely random company I picked for my random shilling explanation of why I made up the EVGA tech support call. /sarcasm

Like I said, I'm glad you're happy w/ your card. I'm not and just expressing my opinion...like Xonar did, so those that appreciate a silent gaming card can know that this is not in fact a silent card. From my perspective it is much louder than my previous card...a Galaxy GTX 580. But that card had a beefier heatsink, less TDP, and 3 bigger fans.

Here's a comment from an Amazon review...

"I wish they'll learn from Gigabyte, which use the half-transparent fans, way more quiet.
At the second you load a game, the (EVGA) card starts sounding like a broken refrigerator.

It's a 700$ card for gods sake, EVGA- spend extra 4$ for better quiter cooling with the transparent lightweight blades.
Actually, spend those extra 4$ for all your video cards. I'm a Gigabyte boy, but tried once EVGA since the good reviews. Wish I could go back.

There's "moderately noisy" (which all my Gigabyte cards are, while gaming), and there's "hell loud" which describes well the EVGA approach."

I actually saw this comment before ordering and it did cause hesitation. However it was one guy and I figured he was just too sensitive/got a broken card. Turns out he's just another silent gamer like me. :D

That's because "silent" pc aficionados are a niche of a niche of a niche. PC gaming is a niche, buyers of high end video cards are a niche, buyers of non reference coolers are a niche, and those of us that like a near SILENT experience are even fewer in number.

The EVGA thread is filled w/ unhappy users.

Galaxy has nothing to do w/ thread. It's a completely random company I picked for my random shilling explanation of why I made up the EVGA tech support call. /sarcasm

Like I said, I'm glad you're happy w/ your card. I'm not and just expressing my opinion...like Xonar did, so those that appreciate a silent gaming card can know that this is not in fact a silent card. From my perspective it is much louder than my previous card...a Galaxy GTX 580. But that card had a beefier heatsink, less TDP, and 3 bigger fans.

Here's a comment from an Amazon review...

"I wish they'll learn from Gigabyte, which use the half-transparent fans, way more quiet.
At the second you load a game, the (EVGA) card starts sounding like a broken refrigerator.

It's a 700$ card for gods sake, EVGA- spend extra 4$ for better quiter cooling with the transparent lightweight blades.
Actually, spend those extra 4$ for all your video cards. I'm a Gigabyte boy, but tried once EVGA since the good reviews. Wish I could go back.

There's "moderately noisy" (which all my Gigabyte cards are, while gaming), and there's "hell loud" which describes well the EVGA approach."

I actually saw this comment before ordering and it did cause hesitation. However it was one guy and I figured he was just too sensitive/got a broken card. Turns out he's just another silent gamer like me. :D

I've owned two Gigabyte WF3 670's, I just sold them for my EVGA 780 ACX's. Both are very quiet solutions. I owned a MSI TF3 7850 a while back, it was quiet until the fans got above 50%, then it was what I considered not quiet and at 70%, it was quite obnoxious. The EVGA ACX and Gigabyte WF3 coolers aren't noisy by any means.

The EVGA ACX and Gigabyte WF3 coolers aren't noisy by any means.

Compared to the Asus cooler...it's noisy. Again 5 db is enough to bother me.

GTX-780-ASUS-44.jpg

I too wonder why they would get rid of a card that pretty much lays the smack down on most 780's.

It's not discontinued. That happens from time to time on Newegg when a card goes out of stock and or they don't know when they'll get more in, their system defaults to discontinued, from what I've heard, it's an automatic thing. It doesn't mean the card is discontinued, just that Newegg's reporting system is faulty. The card is an active SKU.

I just checked New Egg today and it is currently IN STOCK NOW :) Only problem is I don't have the funds yet to order one :(

It's not discontinued. That happens from time to time on Newegg when a card goes out of stock and or they don't know when they'll get more in, their system defaults to discontinued, from what I've heard, it's an automatic thing. It doesn't mean the card is discontinued, just that Newegg's reporting system is faulty. The card is an active SKU.

I didn't think so, but it kinda starts a nasty rumor when people repeat it. I saw at least two people who mentioned it. Enough impressions like that and some take it as fact.

Compared to the Asus cooler...it's noisy. Again 5 db is enough to bother me.

GTX-780-ASUS-44.jpg

In your opinion... Good thing we don't all share YOUR opinion and the majority of ACX owners are very happy with the cooling performance and noise output.

In your opinion... Good thing we don't all share YOUR opinion and the majority of ACX owners are very happy with the cooling performance and noise output.

Nobody is saying the ACX is bad. It's a good cooler. However, using quantitative data, the DC2 overall is better.

I have used the 780 SC ACX extensively and I think it's a pretty good cooler. It didn't strike me as the best as i've tried a ton of different aftermarket coolers in the past, though. Also, the ACX seems to exhibit a slight "rattling" noise at high fan RPMs. That should not be - a lot of people are complaining about this at the EVGA forum. That is probably an isolated incident with a bad batch of coolers.

I guess the closest match IMO to the ACX is the MSI twin frozr 3. I had a lightning GTX 580 a long time ago and in terms of noise, the ACX is identical (in terms of noise, subjectively) while using auto fan.

Last edited:
Exactly, my opinion. I've already qualified it as being less than popular and even rare. I don't see why it's a good or bad thing we don't all share my opinion though. I don't see why that matters @ all. The fact that the majority of ACX owners are happy can only do one thing...discourage EVGA from improving their product line. And as we can see from the graph, the Asus cooler is def quieter and cooler. My opinion does two things:

1. Encourages companies to improve their products.
2. Warns those users like me, who prefer the pinnacle of a silent cooler.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to discredit my opinion. I understand and validate yours. :confused:

LOL, gotta love fanboyz. :rolleyes:
The Asus 780 is quite a bit cooler and quieter than most 780's. I've only owned 2 Asus GPU's in my life. I loved my triple fan Galaxy, but the 780 Galaxy is only 2 fans. The MSI is 3, but very $$. The Asus is just the best overall for the $. Prove me wrong and I'll glady order a _______ if it's better than the Asus!

Nobody is saying the ACX is bad. It's a good cooler. However, using quantitative data, the DC2 overall is better.
This is probably how I should have worded it, but I'm extreme when it comes to noise. There's more than a few out there that agree w/ me however, so why not represent those that have much less tolerance for noise than probably 95% of those that game. I'm not even alone in this thread as Xonar thinks it's too loud as well!

Thankfully, I'll be swapping the EVGA for the Asus soon. :D

I just traded in my 7950 crossfire for one of these and was very surprised with the performance having already had a Titan.

This thing is as close to dead silent as I've ever had a graphics card be. I had to do a double take when I saw the fan was at 65% on my custom curve because I still couldn't hear it.

It easily ran up to +200 core on stock volts for 1241mhz, I haven't tried to add any voltage yet as I aam pretty happy with what it does now.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7134969

Back