Looking to buy a laptop, some advice needed

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
I am looking to buy a new laptop though I do not know much about laptop hardware. I plan on using it mainly for light tasks like internet browsing though I will occasionally like to play some lower end games on it. Price range is around $500 from Costco. Smaller and light weight is something I would prefer, so I am looking at 14" laptops though will not rule out a 15.4". I am having difficulty finding out what is faster in terms of CPU power as well as graphics power.

So far I have narrowed down my options to three.

First I would like to compare two 14":

HP TouchSmart 14Z:
http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-TouchSmart-14z-Laptop%2c-AMD-Quad-Core-A6-5200-2.0GHz.product.100073519.html

AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 @ 2.0GHZ

Dell Inspiron 14z Ultrabook:
http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-14z-Ultrabook%2C-Intel%C2%AE-Core%E2%84%A2-i5-3317U-1.7GHz-Windows-7.product.100057252.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=dell+14z&langId=-1&storeId=10301

Intel Core i5-3317U Processor at 1.7GHz (up to 2.6GHz) with what I assume is an Intel HD 4000.

I am wondering out of the two CPUs (or APU for AMD) here, which is better in non-gaming applications? And which CPU/graphics set up is better in games?

The HP was a 4-cell battery while the Dell has a 6-cell battery. How does this translate into battery life/time?

The HP does have more RAM and more USB3 slots, though no DVD drive (I can use an external if I need it so its not a big deal). So far I am leaning towards the HP though I don't know which CPU/graphics combo is the best. Overall, what would [H] recommend between these two?

Finally, I am also considering the HP TouchSmart Sleekbook 15:

http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-TouchSmart-Sleekbook-15-AMD-Quad-Core-A8-4555M-1.6GHz.product.100037654.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=hp+sleekbook+15&langId=-1&storeId=10301

AMD Quad-Core A8-4555M processor 1.6GHz up to 2.4GHz

How much faster is this A8 CPU compared to the A6 and i5 3317u?

And would the slightly larger 15.4" screen use a noticeable amount of extra power over the 14"? The bigger HDD is self explanatory. :)

If the A8 4555M is significantly faster than the A6 5200 or i5 3317u then I would go for the Sleekbook 15, though as mentioned the smaller size and lighter weight is more appealing for me. For higher powered tasks I will use my desktop so portability is important.

Thanks to those who read all of this and can offer some advice. :)

I'm not familiar with either of those models. In the past I have had not-good luck with Dell systems. :mad: Same with a familiy member. OTOH, I have had great luck over the years with IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. They take a real beating and keep working, especially if you have an SSD inside. :)

I'm not familiar with either of those models. In the past I have had not-good luck with Dell systems. :mad: Same with a familiy member. OTOH, I have had great luck over the years with IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. They take a real beating and keep working, especially if you have an SSD inside. :)

I am essentially limited to those three models sadly. Family member will be buying it and they will only buy from Costco. :p

The Intel processor is faster than both AMD processors. However, the AMD GPU is faster than Intels. I think you'll be fine with either AMD laptop as the gaming experience would be better. The other tasks you wont notice a difference on either setup.

The Intel processor is faster than both AMD processors. However, the AMD GPU is faster than Intels. I think you'll be fine with either AMD laptop as the gaming experience would be better. The other tasks you wont notice a difference on either setup.

I figured that was the case. What about power usage and heat of the i5 VS APUs?

Comparing the A6 5200 and the A8 4555M it seems like they are roughly equal:

http://.com/cpus/AMD-A8-4555M-vs-AMD-A6-5200

The 4555M has more L1/L2 cache and can clock up to 2.4GHZ though is at 32nm rather than 28nm. Can't find any performance benchmarks between the two though. Which would [H] recommend between the A6 and A8 listed?

Last edited:
The AMD setup will generate more heat and power, but I doubt it will be of any concern in real world usage

What are the costs of the two?

The AMD setup will generate more heat and power, but I doubt it will be of any concern in real world usage

What are the costs of the two?

All of the three are $500. Leaning towards the HP 14z due to the extra RAM.

I am essentially limited to those three models sadly. Family member will be buying it and they will only buy from Costco. :p

Would they even consider Best Buy? (Not that BB is my go-to store. That would be Newegg, Amazon, or Computer Discount Warehouse for some IT-like stuff.)

I recommend the Dell simply because I don't trust HP quality.

The HP with the A8 will do the best at gaming due to the APU's graphics. Otherwise I like the Dell with the i5. It'll be faster for almost anything that doesn't need the GPU.

Back