Would this setup be good for gaming?

Jdwg1337

n00b
I've asked here for help on deciding on a laptop for myself before and got awesome advice:), now I'm back looking at affordable gaming laptops for my little brother.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-hp-envy-173-notebook-with-8gb-ram

-2.3GHz up to 3.2GHz AMD quad-core A10-4600M accelerated processor
-8GB memory
-1TB hard drive
-Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7660G Discrete-Class graphics and up to 4077MB total graphics memory

Of course theres the issue with it being refurbished, but my little bro only has about a $400 budget for a gaming laptop, how would this perform?

Well since you posted it you may as well get an answer, and in my opinion yeah why not? I'd use that laptop for gaming if I had it no doubt about it. Should actually be pretty good considering it's a laptop and that's a damned good price. Just make sure the warranty gives you enough time to check for stability, I'd stress the hell out of it the first week or so. p95 and heaven all week long :) Oh and for future reference post in general hardware or mobile computing :)

That's pretty much the bigger version of the laptop I have with the same APU and I sit and play Diablo 3 at low/medium settings and Borderlands 2 at medium settings for a few hours at a time and its pretty stable. So long as it can breathe well it should stay pretty stable under load.

As far as gaming performance goes, an A10 is about the best you're going to do for $400. You need a discrete GPU to beat an A10, and you're not likely to find a new laptop with one for $400. The best you can reasonably hope for is finding something used, refurb, or open box.

That's a pretty good deal for the price. HP Envys are pretty nice machines, mostly because they tend to have some nice bells and whistles. I've got a 17" Envy, though it's a bit older and higher end- quad core Sandy Bridge i7, 1080p, discreet graphics, etc. I got it open box at Microcenter for $700.

The 2x4GB DDR3-1600 DIMMs is a nice touch. Many of the cheap models come with 4GB + 2GB these days, and the 1600 speed will help (compared to 1333) on an AMD machine using integrated graphics.

Another nice perk is it has 2 HDD bays (I checked the HP service manual), so he could install an SSD at some point. Mine only came with one HD bracket assembly though, so you might have to order one from HP to install a second drive. The HD is only 5400rpm though, which is a bit disappointing for a machine that was originally priced at almost $1000.

Assuming it's similar to mine, the Beats Audio is pretty nice compared to most laptop speakers. They're still built in laptop speakers so obviously they're nothing close to what even a cheap pair of headphones can do as far as sound quality goes, but they are nicer than what you'll find on most laptops. It's certainly better than my work-issued Lenovo T420.

It looks like it's also got the on/off button for the touchpad. I love that thing. 2 taps and the touch pad is off so I don't accidently bump it while typing. I don't think that one has the backlit keyboard though.

Looks like a good deal to me. I would buy it. As long as it is factory refurbished, there's nothing really to worry about.

You have a good one there, especially being a 17.3" which will help when gaming. :D

The Groupon deal is closed now, so I guess further discussion is moot? I wonder if the OP bought it.

Back