Dell to Axe 1K-Plus Call-Center Enterprise Staff

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Dell is beginning to restructure in the hopes of taking the company private and also to offset losses from the waning PC market. The position cuts will affect staff from all levels of Dell management, with the biggest cuts coming to the massive call center in India.

Those who can't be redeployed receive a competitive severance package, including outplacement assistance.

Given that call center works exactly like all others in the world, no actual workers will be dropped. A single call center handles multiple accounts and simply has agents who are assigned to queues, very few are only in a single queue. So basically Dell is just renegotiating their SLA agreement and accepting the far lower SLA's that comes with having fewer "CSR's" assigned to their queue. So whole severance package garbage is just marketing BS to appease american media into thinking the company gives a shit. I worked a call center many years ago. I dealt with Tiger Direct, Office Depot, Best buy and about a dozen others. However as far as the customer on the other end was concerned, I was a rep who worked for that company. I well know how the system works.

Given that call center works exactly like all others in the world, no actual workers will be dropped. A single call center handles multiple accounts and simply has agents who are assigned to queues, very few are only in a single queue. So basically Dell is just renegotiating their SLA agreement and accepting the far lower SLA's that comes with having fewer "CSR's" assigned to their queue. So whole severance package garbage is just marketing BS to appease american media into thinking the company gives a shit. I worked a call center many years ago. I dealt with Tiger Direct, Office Depot, Best buy and about a dozen others. However as far as the customer on the other end was concerned, I was a rep who worked for that company. I well know how the system works.
Dell actually has its own call centers and employees. My brother in law works for one in Malaysia. He is a Dell employee working in a Dell owned building.
Penang3.jpg

You're right about CSRs having multiple accounts, but wrong about workers being dropped.

If the needed manhours drops, the need for the number of employees to fill those manhours drops. That's just common sense.

If they kept the same amount of employees, with 40,000 less hours paid for, the helpdesk guys would be twidling their thumbs far more while being far less profitable.

Various companies do run their own shops, if you are big enough to do it, it is cheaper than outsourcing it. Places like Best buy, and Office Depot who mostly service people through stores would not need or want the overhead of a full call center all their own. Same with Tiger Direct which makes most of its sales to savvy tech users online who rarely need assistance. Dell on the other hand is known for providing live support to enterprise clients who paid hundreds of extra dollars for that support.

Back