Tim Schafer's Great Video Game Experiment

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think calling this an experiment is a bit of a stretch. Then again, I guess expanding your game so far that, after asking for $400k and getting $3.3M, you still need to split the game in two so you can start selling the first part (to finance the second part) is called an "experiment."

When we ran the story, some of our readers remarked that it's not in the spirit of Kickstarter to shift the responsibility for the game's completion from backers to non-backers. [Not that backers would need to pay any more, but that the game's completion was no longer a sure thing, since the public will have to buy the early access half of the game to get it funded.] Is that a fair assessment?

But they were, and remain, the highest-profile video-game Kickstarter success story.

Bullshit. The author must have his head under a rock if he doesn't know about "Star Citizen" and the near $17 million it has pulled so far.

Bullshit. The author must have his head under a rock if he doesn't know about "Star Citizen" and the near $17 million it has pulled so far.

Ahh, but you missed something. Last I checked, Star Citizen wasn't being done through kickstarter, thus it's not the highest profile videogame kickstarter success story.

Ahh, but you missed something. Last I checked, Star Citizen wasn't being done through kickstarter, thus it's not the highest profile videogame kickstarter success story.

Star Citizen pulled some of their funding through Kickstarter, and they pulled a lot. Just not as much as Tim.

IIRC, even while Star Citizen's kickstarter was running, Chris Roberts made sure everyone knew that he was also seeking other sources of funding. So those who backed it on KS knew that KS wasn't the only source of income for Roberts and that this would have a bearing on the game's development. In short, this was a known factor and accepted by those who chose to donate. I'm don't think this was the case for Schafer's game.

Back