Nintendo Talks Smack On Next-Gen Consoles

HardOCP News

[H] News
Click this link to hear last place Nintendo comment on Sony and Microsoft's upcoming systems. :rolleyes: I'm not saying that Nintendo needs to shut its pie-hole...wait, I guess that's exactly what I'm saying.

"I don't think consumers buy hardware just because it's sexy and new," he told me during a phone interview earlier this week. Fils-Aime: "Systems that generate pretty pictures by themselves aren't selling propositions," he said, "and all you need to do is look at the last generation to see the evidence.

Awwww, da widdle baby gonna cwy a wee bit. Nintendo is just pissed because their Wii U flopped and these new consoles are superior hardware-wise in every way. They should have waited to release their U after Sony and MS so they could have at least made a competitive product based on x86 to have exponentially more games available.

Ya Nintendo tried to repeat the wii in just about every way. Except they didn't price it low like the wii which was a huge key to its success. There only option now is to slash the price on this thing down to $100. Then they can probably move some units.

Nintendo is so right, its all about the games, that's why WiiU is flying off the shelves!
:D

The WiiU was destined for failure for the beginning. It's more or less a Wii with a portable gaming device/controller included. It's expensive, slow and clunky on the Internet. It hasn't a chance this holiday season against the XBone and PS/4. Hell, it can't even compete against the 360 or PS/3 now...

Though to be honest Nintendo isn't wrong here. Technically speaking, the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3. Though due to lack of games, those other consoles have nearly caught up, but for a good 4-5 years the Wii wooped the 360 and PS3's ass. Eventually the PS3 dropped in price, and the 360 got unique and cool games. Though that's like the past 3 years.

Again, console specs don't matter, but good launch titles do. Almost always the weakest game console is traditionally the winner. Though I don't think this console generation will have any winners.

At this point Nintendo is nothing more than a niche player. There are exactly three reasons to buy Nintendo: Mario, Zelda and Metroid. This also happens to be the reason the WiiU flopped, those games still aren't available.

you know he's right. we really should look at the last generation of consoles.

hey look, the wii games sucked. and look some more, the hardware was just a flashy and new gimmick that died off. YAY!

i'm still not sure if he was talking about nintendo or the other guys.

Though to be honest Nintendo isn't wrong here. Technically speaking, the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3. Though due to lack of games, those other consoles have nearly caught up, but for a good 4-5 years the Wii wooped the 360 and PS3's ass. Eventually the PS3 dropped in price, and the 360 got unique and cool games. Though that's like the past 3 years.

Again, console specs don't matter, but good launch titles do. Almost always the weakest game console is traditionally the winner. Though I don't think this console generation will have any winners.
How many people from that "out-selling" period have the Wii in the closest and it was replaced by a 360 or PS3?

the Wii sold becouse of 2 things
1. it was super cheap
2. it was new and shiny

how many of the Wii's sold sat around and collected dust after the first month
i know ours did
at lest the Wii U's ports (if it ever gets any) wont have to super cut down like the Wii was
compare games like NFS:HP for the 360 and PS3 to the Wii ver its not even the same game

All Nintendo has is Mario...

Don't forget Zelda!

But yeah.

And he's right. it is all about the games. Sony and MS will bring awesome games. Both sequels and new franchises. Meanwhile you can play "Super Mario Does a Thing XVII" on Nintendo hardware and marvel at the 2005 look on your big ass screen.

Everything Nintendo has done in the past decade has been "meh".

Looks like someone is butt hurt that the Wii U is about to become obsolete and has no redeeming factors other than a few first party games that use 10-30 year old franchises...most of which HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET!

Does he think its "meh" that most big name developers don't even have any interest in the Wii U? Does he think it's "meh" to drop the price on the Wii U a measly $50 and include a 10 year old game as a package deal?

Fuck this guy. Seriously, fuck him.

If you look at it as a business Nintendo is more right then wrong.
If you keep looking as a gamer you say Nintendo does not have the titles cept Mario and his gang.

When you look at the Wii U you say it has a tablet so what? Then again everyone has the tablet option as a 3rd party device on PS4/Xbox1.

Nintendo sells systems to casual gamers maybe even a grade below that. They found it to be the only way to expand for the Wii, Sony and MIcrosoft are broken records they go after the same crowd each time and have half baked casual "me too" solutions Which never sold a system.

Even if Nintendo opted to go APU a year ago that would not have changed the situation.

As a PC users why would I buy a PC that is a console but is not a PC ?

Ive been saying this for months, everyone at NOA is fucking retarded.
They should all be fired. Especially everyone in marketing. Incredible. Fix your botched release before you start talking shit....

My biggest fear is that Nintendo is heading into the realm of becoming irrelevant in the market. It takes more than a gimmick or fad to be successful as they are learning. They better get their act together because I remember a time when their systems were all about the pretty state of the art graphics that were being displayed on my CRT based TV. Do any of you guys remember being absolutely awed and mesmerized when Donkey Kong came out on the SNES system? While graphics isn't everything, consumers at least expect you to be relevant with regards to that. Games is the other big issue and you can only milk the same IP's over and over again before it too starts becoming irrelevant.

And for $500, your answer is:
System exclusive titles like Mario, Zelda and Metroid

Alex, the question would be:
Why does Nintendo still even exist anymore?

Maybe if Nintendo made games for adults and not 8 year olds it would sell better. Oh wait that's right adults with jobs don't play with consoles they buy nice computer systems.

That's cool Nintendo. How are those Wii-U sales going on your "next gen" system??

OH right. They fucking suck.

Maybe if Nintendo made games for adults and not 8 year olds it would sell better. Oh wait that's right adults with jobs don't play with consoles they buy nice computer systems.
I'm an adult with a job. I own a PS3, Wii, Wii U, and two gaming computers. If you have a real job, a $350 console purchase is trivial.

I look forward to the day they stop mentioning/boasting about/relying on Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong.

Fark.

catsuit.jpg

They have Mario remake 11,351,131,133
Remaking the most Reviled Zelda in history, one that should of never even been called a Zelda game.

Nothing else worth even mentioning on the WiiU and they have the Gall to call the game lineups for the Xb1 and PS4 Meh? Lol, ok Nintendo. Keep on wondering why the WiiU is a spectacular failure. Because it has nothing to do with terrible games and that unbelievably shitty controller. :rolleyes:

They have Mario remake 11,351,131,133
Remaking the most Reviled Zelda in history, one that should of never even been called a Zelda game.

Nothing else worth even mentioning on the WiiU and they have the Gall to call the game lineups for the Xb1 and PS4 Meh? Lol, ok Nintendo. Keep on wondering why the WiiU is a spectacular failure. Because it has nothing to do with terrible games and that unbelievably shitty controller. :rolleyes:
Half of the games on every console are remakes or sequels. How many times has Activision released a clone of COD4 now, 6 times?

COD4:MW
COD:MW2
COD:BO
COD:MW3
COD:BO2
COD: Ghosts

Basically the same game, they even reuse essentially the same engine and there were assets from MW1 in MW3.

Give me a break. If you don't like Nintendo's games that certainly your prerogative but acting like the entire industry isn't just rehashing IPs over and over is a joke. Nintendo's sequels have way more effort put into them than most.

If THIS guy knows what sells, why is the Wii-U selling like farts?
Because it doesn't have enough software titles out yet. This doesn't mean he's wrong, however. Look at Wii sales versus 360/PS3 and the 3DS versus PS Vita.

Half of the games on every console are remakes or sequels. How many times has Activision released a clone of COD4 now, 6 times?

COD4:MW
COD:MW2
COD:BO
COD:MW3
COD:BO2
COD: Ghosts

Basically the same game, they even reuse essentially the same engine and there were assets from MW1 in MW3.

Give me a break. If you don't like Nintendo's games that certainly your prerogative but acting like the entire industry isn't just rehashing IPs over and over is a joke. Nintendo's sequels have way more effort put into them than most.

Did I say anything about remakes? Or did I just point out that the only have Mario and a shitty Zelda that no one cares about? The point was that Nintendo of all companies has no right to call others lineup meh. I like Nintendo titles just fine, get your fanboy panties out of a bunch and realize that the WiiU lineup is complete shit and that is only half of its problems. For Nintendo to be as disconnected as they are should offend you if you are a Fan because that means they still haven't figured out what they need to do to make games you "Want" to buy.

Nintendo's focus market has always been kids. They have always had huge success there. Then adult casual was huge for them too, but that crashed as casuals aren't loyal and have switched to smartphone gaming. Feeling burned they recent attempts were to branch out to a more adult market. That is failing miserably, from their lack of experience in that market, and now are talking butt hurt smack.

Personally, I don't want a 4th platform for adult games. I was hoping the tablet controller would work away from the console independently and they would release their entire SNES library for cheap to run on it. If I leave the house and take the tablet controller with me to play Contra III, I would buy a Wii U as their controller doesn't cramp up my hands like a hacked PSP or smartphone. At the very least they could stop overcharging for old games and release much more. There's more than one way to make money from 30 year olds. They are just to dumb to realize it.

Did I say anything about remakes? Or did I just point out that the only have Mario and a shitty Zelda that no one cares about? The point was that Nintendo of all companies has no right to call others lineup meh. I like Nintendo titles just fine, get your fanboy panties out of a bunch and realize that the WiiU lineup is complete shit and that is only half of its problems. For Nintendo to be as disconnected as they are should offend you if you are a Fan because that means they still haven't figured out what they need to do to make games you "Want" to buy.
I dunno what you are going on about with Wind Waker. Everyone I know who is a Zelda fan loves the game. It's fine if you don't like it, but I'm pretty excited for the HD release and most of the feedback I've seen so far has been positive. I fully agree the software lineup so far has been lacking, but I also don't think either the PS4 or the XBone's lineup is killer either. There are only a couple of titles that I am interested in that aren't coming out on PC. Nintendo has more exclusives that I am interested in than either of the other consoles at present.

I dunno what you are going on about with Wind Waker. Everyone I know who is a Zelda fan loves the game. It's fine if you don't like it, but I'm pretty excited for the HD release and most of the feedback I've seen so far has been positive. I fully agree the software lineup so far has been lacking, but I also don't think either the PS4 or the XBone's lineup is killer either. There are only a couple of titles that I am interested in that aren't coming out on PC. Nintendo has more exclusives that I am interested in than either of the other consoles at present.

I have never met a single Zelda fan that thought Windwaker was anything other than a massive pile of shit. When I refer to Zelda Fans I refer to those of us who have played since the very first one came out. I obviously can't speak for the ones who's first experience was Ocarina+ and never played the originals.

I have never met a single Zelda fan that thought Windwaker was anything other than a massive pile of shit. When I refer to Zelda Fans I refer to those of us who have played since the very first one came out. I obviously can't speak for the ones who's first experience was Ocarina+ and never played the originals.
I've played and own all of the including the original NES games, and my favorite is LttP, but I liked Wind Waker's art style and it looks pretty good in HD now that they have toned down the bloom that the original promo screenshots showed. They've also tuned some of the annoying shit people didn't like. In either case, if you don't like it, there's a new one coming out probably next year, and there are a bunch of other titles unrelated to Zelda. Hell, the next game coming out for the system is a brand new IP (Wonderful 101).

Wii U software line-up = Nearly one year old

Next-gen software line-up = Not even out yet and still has more games

Your defense for the Wii U is sorry at best. It's a shitty console that might have a handful of decent games that aren't ports or remakes (seriously dude Wind Waker is over 10 years old and it's like their biggest talk point right now) in a couple years.

Now with next-gen coming out their list of third party games is just growing smaller as a lot of dev's/pub's don't even want to bother with it.

Nintendo fucked up and fucked up big time, just admit, move on, and get a PS4 or Xbox One.

Also the console is crazy overpriced.

Even with the LCD controller they are trying to make too much money off it. The console itself is like 8 years old with a slightly better GPU and the controller is not that expensive. If I can buy a 7 inch Android tablet with a capacitive touchscreen, dual core, 1GB RAM, etc for like $60-70 bucks then the Wii U should cost like $200-250 MAX.

Man, I'm no Nintendo hater, I've always owned Nintendo and grew up with them, but they're losing their shit.

The Wii U is definitely their Dreamcast.

He's got a point. Just because you've got the most powerful console and make the prettiest of games doesn't mean it's going to sell if those pretty games aren't good.

People said the 3DS was dead in the water as well and look at it now. The Wii U just doesn't have as strong as a software library as it should. That is changing soon as they have a steady stream of good titles in the pipeline starting Q4 of this year/now and then moving forward.

Back