Bioshock Infinite Vsync Fix?

hajalie24

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't find any info on this since it seems the steam forums are down. Anyways, I just got Bioshock infinite and if I turn on vsync everything is choppy. If I turn it off I get tearing and artifacts. Forcing vsync from CCC doesn't do anything. Is there a solution for this? Deus ex seems to have a similar problem with choppy vsync too.

Well it seems like disabling my other monitors fixes the issue. First time I had issues due to multimonitor since I got my 7870s (games used to be choppy on my 6950s, regardless of vsync).

Multi-monitors has a tendency to negatively affect performance. Each game will be different, of course.

Have you made sure you have your gaming monitor set as your primary display in CCC??

I noticed V-Sync only works on the primary display.

If it's anything like the issues I used to have, it's not just vsync being problematic, but it's because the in-game vsync is trying to match the framerate with your monitor's refresh rate which might not actually be a perfect 60hz. sometimes it's 60.5hz or 59.75 and that can cause stuttering.
The solution is to use a framerate limiter. The best/easiest all-purpose one is the RTSS included in MSI's Afterburner program. I used to get crazy stuttering in games even though I would be able to push hundreds of FPS in them. Once I set everything to 60fps - smooth as glass. It's worked on games all sorts, from Darksiders, Half-Life, Bioshock, and Skyrim.

Hmm so today I started up the game and the problem came back, even when all the other monitors were disabled. I tried running it off my 22"monitor (while the other monitors were still enabled) and everything was still perfect. According to Custom Resolution Utility my Shimian monitor is running at 59.95 HZ while my AOC monitors are at 60 HZ, so what Domingo is saying might be true. I'm going to change my refresh rate to 60HZ and see what happens.

EDIT: Changing it to 60 or 65 didn't do anything. But after disabling all extra displays in windows, I logged off and signed back in. Then the game became smooth. Come to think about it I had a similar issue with my 6950s too, I thought it magically fixed itself when my new cards came but it looks like it didn't. AMD really needs to get their stuff together.

Last edited:
Back