Facebook Global Government Requests Report

HardOCP News

[H] News
In the first six months of this year alone, Facebook has received requests for data on more than 38,000 members from government entities. The company says that it has handed over at least "some" data 79 percent of the time. :eek:

Transparency and trust are core values at Facebook. We strive to embody them in all aspects of our services, including our approach to responding to government data requests. We want to make sure that the people who use our service understand the nature and extent of the requests we receive and the strict policies and processes we have in place to handle them. We are pleased to release our first Global Government Requests Report, which details the following:

• Which countries requested information from Facebook about our users
  • The number of requests received from each of those countries
  • The number of users/user accounts specified in those requests
  • The percentage of these requests in which we were required by law to disclose at least some data

what is sad is if you look at that list the usa has way more then every other country put together

"You must sign in to see this page". I see how it is, Steve. You're trying to sell us out!

Just one of the reasons I don't do social sites.

If [H] got a warrant from the Government with good cause i am sure they would hand of IP's and info vs taking the entire site down or being shut down...

They always leave out that detail that those 38k had warrants usually to hand over the data.

How about some true transparency and telling the user what agency made the request and what information you handed over? No?

Didn't think so.

They always leave out that detail that those 38k had warrants usually to hand over the data.

100% of the time they had a warrant 38% of the time... usually...
any evidence to back that up, or just pure speculation?

you'd be surprised what a local ISP manager will hand over when you show up with a nice suit and a government business card (see:Vista Prints)

Back