30" Korean

They are not a good deal since you can buy 2x better performing 27" 1440p for the same price

The 3020MDP sucks, it has poor black levels, poor Adobe RGB Color Space coverage which defeats the purpose of buying a wide gamut monitor and uses LG's grainy matte coating. All matte cffl back-lit 30" use the same grainy coating while the matte 27" Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710 have light coatings.

PRAD reviewed an equally mediocre Shimian 30" , =DEAD= reviewed an iRun 30" which also sucked and a 305Q Pro which has the same issues as the 3020MDP but decent contrast/blacks.

Playerwares reviewed the Crossover Black Tune 30X-P which uses a GB-LED back-light so it probably has the same light matte coating as the Dell 3014, does not suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting unlike 3014, but lacks an sRGB mode.

If you want proper colors for consumer media do not buy a 30" Korean since they are all wide gamut and lack sRGB modes.

So, you ripped apart all these 30" monitors and made no suggestions. Que?

Why would I encourage someone to buy a mediocre 30" for 600$ when they can buy two superior 1440p monitors for the same price? Logic?

The 800$ Crossover Black Tune 30X-P is fine if you don't care about art design and are ok with colors looking over-saturated and inaccurate. The rest are garbage. It's still not a good deal since you can get 2x Korean 1440p monitors for less and get a glossy+matte combo as well as overclock-able ones (96-120hz).

Accessorieswhole is the best seller.

Well, you mentioned two 1440p monitors that are better for the price of one of these 30"ers. So, what are they?

Well, you mentioned two 1440p monitors that are better for the price of one of these 30"ers. So, what are they?

Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710-overclock to 96hz+, matte+glossy options, may use PWM. No one has reviewed an X-Star but they use the same panel+casing.

If you live in North America IPS LED Monitors sells quite a few Korean 1440-1600p models and has a 30 day no hassle return+exchange policy.

Single Dual-Link DVI Input Models: Lack color controls, only have brightness controls and nearly negligible input lag. The Qnix+X-Star can overclock

My Review

Big Qnix/X-Star Thread

Crossover 2735AMG-glossy, no PWM, allegedly has a less reflective plasma deposition coating vs. regular glossy monitors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Multi-Input: Have color controls, extra inputs and around 1 frame+ of input lag. Can not overclock without dropping frames

Crossover 2720MDP-this is the only multi-input model confirmed to have proper brightness controls.

Read more here about the multi-input displays which lack proper brightness controls (I'm Menacing Tuba)

Crossover 2755AMG-2013 model, it should be fine since the Crossover's usually are

Crossover 2763AMG-same as the 55 but has a displayport.

Yamakasi's never get reviewed and the Achieva multi-input models usually suck

If someone's looking for a 30" it's probably because they don't want a 27". Get a used brand name monitor instead of a Korean. I bought one of these for $500, that one's $450. Looks and works fantastic.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
None of the Korean models have sRGB modes & the affordable name brand models sRGB modes color controls are locked.

Deal of the year for me, but I bought a used 30" Yamakasi 300 Sparta (Dual DVI only) for my gf on [H] for $300 shipped. Instabought that shit and it's equally as good as my other 27" Korean (but dwarfs it in size).

If I had to pay current scam prices on eBay for a 30" Korean though, I wouldn't have. They're ripping people off at $600+ for what essentially costs them $200 before shipping. Unless you can get a great deal like I did (and 100% dead-pixel-free like mine is), go used domestic or 2x 1440.

Last edited:
The 30" LG GB-LED AH-IPS panel is exclusive to the Dell U3014. The DGM 3004wph was supposed to use it but it looks like it's been shelved.

30X-P uses a GB-LED back-lit AH-IPS panel. LED back-lit 30"=GB-LED AH-IPS

Crossover, Dell, Lenovo & NEC all sell 30" GB-LED back-lit AH-IPS panels. The DGM is is CCFL.

I bought a used 30" Yamakasi 300 Sparta (Dual DVI only) for my gf on [H] for $300 shipped.

She is now stuck with a grainy (or mirror with gray blacks if you bought her the glass version) wide gamut monitor with over-saturated colors.

Did you also buy her a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones for classical music :D

Last edited:
1) It's not wide-gamut. It's sRGB only. WTF?

2) Do you want to buy her a $1000+ monitor of the same size and resolution? No? Then what the fuck is it your business how "black" the blacks are that I got her? Moreover, do you know what I upgraded her from and what my budget is? Sorry if I didn't want to spend $300 on either another Korean x1400 (already have one, and while I love the res and size, their prices have been inflated due to popularity to the point where they are no longer a steal) or a piece of shit TN monitor of tiny comparable size. You're off your rocker if you think I was asking for advice or your opinion when -- last I checked -- the deal cannot and will not be matched in any shape or form unless considering a 1080p TV instead.

And I own AH-D7000s and have owned many a $1000+ headphone setup. Don't even get me started on your clueless attempt at acting like you're an audiophile, much less a monitor aficionado, just because I mentioned getting a good deal. You wanna magically match or break the deal I had? Great, I'll put my $300 elsewhere next time. But take your bullshit sidetalk elsewhere. Might as well have some public outcry over a guy who bought a Ferrari for $1... because he didn't get a Mclaren F1.

None of the Korean models have sRGB modes & the affordable name brand models sRGB modes color controls are locked.

Thanks.

Its mentioned in few places in web, (one is here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...t-S-IPS-LCDs&p=4153716&viewfull=1#post4153716 ) that if using Radeon, enabling EDID under color temperature settings in CCC equals sRGB emulation in a wide-gamut monitor. Is that so ?

I saw in some cases 120hz are mentioned for the Crossover "black tune 30X driver" ?

Last edited:
30X-P uses a GB-LED back-lit AH-IPS panel. LED back-lit 30"=GB-LED AH-IPS

Crossover, Dell, Lenovo & NEC all sell 30" GB-LED back-lit AH-IPS panels. The DGM is is CCFL.

She is now stuck with a grainy (or mirror with gray blacks if you bought her the glass version) wide gamut monitor with over-saturated colors.

Did you also buy her a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones for classical music :D

Real jerk move here. You have no idea what his use case is. The additional vertical screen real estate may be far more valuable to him than black levels - which honestly only make a bit of difference in multimedia. If you're not sitting around watching full screen videos or gaming a lot, you've wasted time and effort caring so much. Save it for your TV.

I have a probably generation 1 15" washed-out LCD that used to sit alongside one of those revered Sony CRTs. The color profile is ridiculous, and black levels are more like bright grey levels. Guess which was better for prolonged office work aside from the screen real estate difference?

I have a 27" Korean but literally all I do on it is program. It sits vertically with an IDE up on it. I'm sure the 30" would do the same job better, not that I feel like spending money on one.

Why buy a Toyota Corolla when the Nissan GTR has a lot more horse power, all wheel drive and higher redline? 40mph in the GTR is way better than 40mph in a Corolla.

At least, that's NCX's reasoning it seems.

Not everyone needs a $1000+ monitor for web browsing and youtube videos.

Why buy a Toyota Corolla when the Nissan GTR has a lot more horse power, all wheel drive and higher redline? 40mph in the GTR is way better than 40mph in a Corolla.

At least, that's NCX's reasoning it seems.

Not everyone needs a $1000+ monitor for web browsing and youtube videos.

Thing is, for $700-800USD...which is what a new Korean or Monoprice 30"er goes for usually...you can get a used HP or equivalent 30er with better color and better stand.

The Korean ones are still $600 on Ebay.

Sorry, but 99% of people aren't going to notice a difference in color unless they are sitting side by side with a better monitor.

And all stands are garbage.

The Korean ones are still $600 on Ebay.

Sorry, but 99% of people aren't going to notice a difference in color unless they are sitting side by side with a better monitor.

And all stands are garbage.

Color profile might not be noticed...but non uniform backlighting with +/-20% difference in brightness across the panel? If you're remotely paying attention, that you'll notice. All stands suck? No. Tilt-only wobbly plastic stands common on cheaper panels? Yes.

The only Korean 30"ers at $600 are DVI-D only. Any of the Koreans with more input options are another $100 more expensive. Even at $600, you can get a far better quality panel used quite reliably for 15% more. That reaches my personal "hell with it I'm paying a bit more for better quality" line.

Some people might need all those inputs. I'd only be connecting it to a PC with a DVI-D connection. And like was said, dude paid $300 for it. Kind of hard to beat that.

1) It's not wide-gamut. It's sRGB only. WTF?

2) what the fuck is it your business.

1.) All 30" IPS are wide gamut.

2.) Welcome to the internet, this your first time?. Your possibly unintentional chest thumping over your "generous," gift became everyone's business once you clicked the post reply button. If you can't handle a product you purchased being criticized then maybe the internet isn't for you.

I'm sure someone is playing the world's smallest violin for you. Most of the Korean IPS/PLS still retail for around 300$.

My Beats analogy comment was meant to be humorous. In no way did it imply that I think I am an audiophile.

Since when does owning an expensive pair of headphones & equipment make one an audiophile?

Wide Gamut 30" for joe average=Raised, giant gas guzzling truck purchased for grocery shopping.

I didn't know 99% of people were color blind. If you can't tell when you are looking at a wide gamut monitor you should probably go to the eye doctor.

Thanks.

Its mentioned in few places in web, (one is here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...t-S-IPS-LCDs&p=4153716&viewfull=1#post4153716 ) that if using Radeon, enabling EDID under color temperature settings in CCC equals sRGB emulation in a wide-gamut monitor. Is that so ?

I saw in some cases 120hz are mentioned for the Crossover "black tune 30X driver" ?

If AMD's Edid option could properly limit a wide gamut displays color space then many articles with colorimetric measurements verifying its usefulness would exist. None do.

No multi-input 1440p+ monitor can overclock without dropping frames.

Get a 27" 1440p monitor, avoid the 30" grainy matte coatings, color space issues and poor black levels.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I've mentioned this a couple times on [H] but never saw it anywhere else. I have an HP ZR30w, and the only way it is tolerable to use is with the EDID option checked.

If AMD's Edid option could properly limit a wide gamut displays color space then many articles with colorimetric measurements verifying its usefulness would exist. None do.
Most reviews/articles of 30" panels don't even mention wide-gamut, or gloss over it with no explanation or analysis. It's an obscure setting in a subset of video cards that affects a small percentage of monitors. I can't say whether it is actually doing an sRGB conversion, but to the eyeball the ZR30w with EDID enabled looks comparable to my (sRGB) ZR2740w. It looks a lot better than sRGB mode on the Dell u2711 I had briefly.

That said, I wouldn't count on that trick to work with any off-brand monitor, as there is no telling what kind of programming went into the EDID data.

1.) All 30" IPS are wide gamut.

No they aren't. I see this popular misconception all over the internet, typically expressed by people who don't have one of these monitors, or who do have one and have no idea how to test the color gamut or calibrate it.

A good start towards getting a clue about Korean panels, would be to read this. It's clear from this list that there are a number of IPS panels which do not have an extended color gamut; five standard gamut LG 30" S-IPS panels are listed there.

See my brief review of the 30" First F301GD Live here; it does not have an extended gamut, it covers 98% of sRGB, 74% of NTSC, and 78% of AdobeRGB.

No they aren't. I see this popular misconception all over the internet, typically expressed by people who don't have one of these monitors, or who do have one and have no idea how to test the color gamut or calibrate it.

Only through hardware calibration and possibly with AMD's EDID option (not verified) can a color gamut be truly changed (not counting color management since it only applies to some programs) and only the very expensive Eizo, Lacie and NEC 30" support hardware calibration. All of the mainstream Korean (Achieva, Crossover and Yamakasi) and name brand 30" are wide gamut. Forgive me for not scouring the web for obscure, 30" Korean options which still stuck according to the specs since it is doubtful that they can achieve the specified 700:1 contrast ratio (400-500:1 is realistic).

At least you are happy paying 50% more for a grainy 30" with a sub 700:1 contrast ratio and far more glow vs. one of the 27" options.

Last edited:
Only through hardware calibration and possibly with AMD's EDID option (not verified) can a color gamut be truly changed and only the very expensive Eizo, Lacie and NEC 30" support hardware calibration.

That's nice, but it has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

All of the mainstream Korean (Achieva, Crossover and Yamakasi) and name brand 30" are wide gamut.

That's an improvement on your previous inaccurate statement, but it's still not accurate. The Apple 30" Cinema Display (A1083), uses the LM300W01-STA1 or LM300W01-STA4 panel; both of those are S-IPS 16.7m (8-bit), panels with a standard gamut (71% of NTSC). You can hardly claim that's not a name brand 30" monitor. Now please edit your original post with the correct information, so it doesn't mislead anyone.

Forgive me for not scouring the web for obscure, 30" Korean options which still stuck according to the specs.

The LG IPS and S-IPS panels are not obscure; they are used in a wide range of monitors. This information is neither obscure, nor difficult to find; it's readily available on sites written by people who actually know what they are talking about.

At least you are happy paying 50% more for a grainy 30" with a sub 700:1 contrast ratio and far more glow vs. one of the 27" options.

To put it more accurately, instead of paying for a monitor which didn't have the size, resolution, or backlight performance I wanted, I paid for a monitor which did. It isn't grainy, it has a 700:1 contrast ratio, and I see no evidence that it has 'far more glow vs. one of the 27" options'. You really need to spend some time getting your facts straight. I suggest you take at least an hour reading TFT Central for a start.

You implied that people don't know how to calibrate wide color gamuts.

The Apple 30" is 8 years old and is no longer available unless purchased used, plus they replaced it with a wide gamut version which is likely the only version left over.

First is an obscure Korean brand.

All matte 30" CCFL back-lit IPS panels, along with most the smaller models use the same grainy coating. This has been proven over and over again. Some owners like to deny it since they feel the need to defend their purchase, but denial doesn't change the facts.

30" glow vs. 27" glow from 2.5ft.

Last edited:
You can't calibrate a color gamut except through hardware calibration.

Irrelevant. No one has said anything about calibrating a color gamut.

The Apple 30" is 8 years old and is no longer available unless purchased used, plus they replaced it with a wide gamut version which are likely they only versions left over.

Irrelevant. This doesn't change the fact that your statement was wrong. Please correct it. The Apple Thunderbolt 27" display of course, uses a cheap Korean panel with a standard color gamut barely equivalent to sRGB; rubbish given the price they're asking.

First is an obscure Korean brand.

Irrelevant. Apple most certainly is not. You were trying to excuse your inaccurate statement by giving the impression that accurate information on the topic is hard to find and is 'obscure'. That's completely untrue. The fact is you just didn't do your homework properly; it's not at all difficult to find this information.

All matte 30" CCFL back-lit IPS panels, along with most the smaller models use the same grainy coating, this have been proven over and over again. Some owners like to deny it since they feel the need to defend their purchase, but denial doesn't change the facts.

No they don't all use the same coating. The older ones use a heavy grainy coating which many people don't like. More recent models use a light coating which many people don't find grainy at all, and is typically unnoticeable at a distance (this has been discussed in detail on standard monitor review sites, such as TFT Central; please read them). I've posted photos of the monitor I'm using, and if anyone thinks that's 'grainy' then that's their business, but I chose the matte coating deliberately because I liked the matte coating on the Benq I already had, and I have grown dissatisfied with the glossy coating of the HP I still own.

I have read plenty of your posts. I understand you think glossy monitors are the best and a standard color gamut is better than a wide color gamut. I know you think all matte monitors have a coating which is 'grainy' and bad to look at. What you need to understand is that this is simply your personal opinion.

Additionally, you need to understand that although the average Walmart household computer user such as yourself has no need for a wide gamut display, those of us who do photography work have a genuine use for it, and understand how it relates to our color process.

tumblr_mpseei8tFg1r1thdeo1_250.gif

Indeed. I don't mind that NCX wants to express his personal opinion. What I mind is him spreading inaccurate information because he hasn't done his homework. I also object to him declaring his personal opinion as if it's objective fact, but that's not going to change any time soon by the looks.

Indeed. I don't mind that NCX wants to express his personal opinion. What I mind is him spreading inaccurate information because he hasn't done his homework. I also object to him declaring his personal opinion as if it's objective fact, but that's not going to change any time soon by the looks.

fsd0Pme.gif

Typically expressed by people who don't have one of these monitors, or who do have one and have no idea how to test the color gamut or calibrate it.

Your post clearly implies that people do not know how to calibrate a color gamut.

Fortigurn said:
Irrelevant. This doesn't change the fact that your statement was wrong.

How is Apple replacing the sRGB panel with a wide gamut version and selling it for years not relevant?

Fortigurn said:
Irrelevant. Apple most certainly is not. You were trying to excuse your inaccurate statement by giving the impression that accurate information on the topic is hard to find and is 'obscure'. That's completely untrue. The fact is you just didn't do your homework properly; it's not at all difficult to find this information.

My post was correct until you discovered that First is using old standard gamut panels. The rest of the 30" tested have been wide gamut which is why it was illogical to think that standard gamut versions still existed. Yes, I am a bad boy, I used logic instead of 'doing my homework' and am now wrong.

First is obscure compared to Achieva, Crossover, Qnix, Yamakasi and X-Star.

Fortigurn said:
The older ones use a heavy grainy coating which many people don't like.

All of the matte CCFL back-lit models (older models) use the same grainy matte coating. Only the GBR-LED back-lit 30" use LG's new semi-glossy coating. It's not personal opinion, it is a fact that the CCFL back-lit models coatings are grainy compared to the semi-glossy coating used on most new 27" 1440p, new 1080p A-MVA and GBR-LED back-lit 30" monitors. The 305Q PRO, SH30QDM and 3020MDP (CCFL back-lit 30") in this macro compilation use the same coating as the rest of the CCFL back-lit models. It's not a coincidence that owners of the ACD 30, Dell 3007, 3008, 3011, Hazro 30" and HP ZR30W have all reported seeing grainy matte coatings and owners of a few of these models have confirmed that the coatings are the same.

I understand you think glossy monitors are the best and a standard color gamut is better than a wide color gamut.

Wrong, I do not think glossy monitors are the best. Yes, I prefer logic and want others to appreciate the effort artists put into the content they create.

I know you think all matte monitors have a coating which is 'grainy' and bad to look at.

Wrong.

Additionally, you need to understand that although the average Wal-Mart household computer user such as yourself has no need for a wide gamut display, those of us who do photography work have a genuine use for it, and understand how it relates to our color process.

Nice not-so-subtle insult. You insulted my intelligence but seem to forget that you are the one who paid fifty percent more for an untested monitor which only offers a tiny increase in resolution compared to the superior, well reviewed 1440p Korean monitors.

Most of the members [H]ere and on overclock.net want a monitor for multi-media related use which is why it is illogical to recommend a wide gamut monitor, especially since the best, affordable (<1000$) monitors are not wide gamut.

Last edited:
2 pages of mutual insults and irrelevant info. Now that the seiki 4k 39" is doing 120Hz@1080p properly there are few if any reason to go with either 27" or 30" koreans. VA contrast + 12bit panel FTW.

I have a doubt:

What is easier? Make a photo-printer match a non-widegamut monitor or make a non-wide-gamut monitor adequate to produce web content?
AFAIK it is way easier to calibrate a printer color profile to match a sRGB monitor than make a wide gamut monitor behave correctly under sRGB without resorting the hardware LUTs.

Considering that in this digital age 99.99% of the content is viewed online, using a cheap wide gamut as main monitor looks counter-intuitive, to say the least: you would still need calibration hardware for both the monitor AND the printer, plus your work will not be displayed correctly online for the majority of clients.

2 pages of mutual insults and irrelevant info. Now that the seiki 4k 39" is doing 120Hz@1080p properly there are few if any reason to go with either 27" or 30" koreans. VA contrast + 12bit panel FTW.

I have a doubt:

What is easier? Make a photo-printer match a non-widegamut monitor or make a non-wide-gamut monitor adequate to produce web content?
AFAIK it is way easier to calibrate a printer color profile to match a sRGB monitor than make a wide gamut monitor behave correctly under sRGB without resorting the hardware LUTs.

Considering that in this digital age 99.99% of the content is viewed online, using a cheap wide gamut as main monitor looks counter-intuitive, to say the least: you would still need calibration hardware for both the monitor AND the printer, plus your work will not be displayed correctly online for the majority of clients.

Depends on who the "majority of clients " are.

How many mobile phones are sold with wide-gamut vs. sRGB displays? My wild guess is that it is opposite of desktop-land.

2 pages of mutual insults and irrelevant info.

I don't see any insults. I do see relevant information; people should know that not all 30" monitors have wide gamut panels, and not all 30" CCFL monitors have wide gamut panels. That's relevant information.

Now that the seiki 4k 39" is doing 120Hz@1080p properly there are few if any reason to go with either 27" or 30" koreans. VA contrast + 12bit panel FTW.

Is it still only capable of 85% of sRGB?

I have a doubt:

It depends on how serious you are about color. I want my monitor to be able to match as closely as possible, the gamut of my DSLR Otherwise I'm losing the color and dynamic range I paid for when I bought my camera.

I have calibration hardware for my monitor (anyone serious about color management does). When I view my photos on my dodgy little 15" laptop and cheap 24" monitor at work, they don't look as good as on the calibrated wide gamut 24" display I use to process them, but they don't look bad. My clients are always happy that the prints I give them look even better than the shots they see online.

I give about a hundred 8x12" prints a month to the NGOs and charities I do work for. They aren't concerned by how the photos look on their cheap, uncalibrated monitors. What matters to them is the quality of the prints.

There are two NGOs to which I send calibrated images in digital format, not print. One of those NGOs appreciates the fact that I send images processed on my calibrated wide gamut monitor, since they sometimes print them in their publications. The other NGO doesn't really care about color calibration, and just posts my images on their blog and Facebook page.

Your post clearly implies that people do not know how to calibrate a color gamut.

No it says nothing like that; 'Typically expressed by people who don't have one of these monitors, or who do have one [of these monitors] and have no idea how to test the color gamut or calibrate it [one of these monitors]'.

How is Apple replacing the sRGB panel with a wide gamut version and selling it for years not relevant?

Because it's irrelevant to the point I made, which was that your claim all brand name 30" monitors were wide gamut. They aren't.

My post was correct until you discovered that First is using old standard gamut panels.

No, your post was wrong even before then. The fact which makes it wrong existed before my discovery.

The rest of the 30" tested have been wide gamut which is why it was illogical to think that standard gamut versions still existed. Yes, I am a bad boy, I used logic instead of 'doing my homework' and am now wrong.

No you didn't use logic, you just made an invalid assumption. What you should have used was research and not made assumptions.

First is obscure compared to Achieva, Crossover, Qnix, Yamakasi and X-Star.

Irrelevant; Apple isn't. And remember this whole 'obscure' point of yours was an attempt to claim that the information you didn't know was hard to find or obscure, but it isn't hard to find or obscure; it's easy to find.

It's not personal opinion....

Firstly I used that image you cite as a reference when I was deciding on a monitor. I could see for myself that with a couple of exceptions most of the glossy surface monitors didn't look much different to the matte surface monitors even at macro level. And of course when I use a monitor I am not looking at it at macro level; I'm sitting two to three feet away. So that didn't seem very important to me, and behold when I looked at the matte monitor I already had, sure enough it didn't look any worse than the glossy monitory I already had. in fact I preferred it, especially for photos.

Secondly I used that very image in my review of the First F301GD Live posted on OCAU and Overclock.net when discussing the issue of differing opinions over anti-glare coatings.

Thirdly, if you deny that preference for matte or glossy coating isn't subjective then you need to do a lot more research. Look at this thread by Apple users, with posts all the way back to 2010 when the 'old' matte coatings were being used; you'll find plenty of professionals preferring the 'grainy' coating you say is objectively bad. Apple user demand for that 'grainy' coating became so high many of them turned to PCs just so they could use one, and an online petition to Apple collected over 1,400 people requesting a matte coating iMac.

Look also at this article from 2011 when the 'old' matte coatings were being used, and you find people polled overwhelmingly preferred matte coatings.

Wrong, I do not think glossy monitors are the best.

Great, let me know all the matte monitors you've recommended over glossy monitors.

Yes, I prefer logic and want others to appreciate the effort artists put into the content they create.

If you prefer logic it would be a great idea to use it. This 'appreciate the effort artists put into the content they create' nonsense is not logic.

Great, let me know all the matte monitors you've recommended over glossy monitors.

Nice not-so-subtle insult. You insulted my intelligence...

I said absolutely nothing about your intelligence. I simply pointed out that there are people for whom a wide color gamut monitor is extremely useful.

...but seem to forget that you are the one who paid fifty percent more for an untested monitor which only offers a tiny increase in resolution compared to the superior, well reviewed 1440p Korean monitors.

I didn't pay 50% more, and what I received was the monitor with the specifications I wanted as opposed to one with specifications I didn't want. I looked at reviews of the 27" Crossover 27QW IPS LED, 27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution II, 27" Yamakasi DS270 IPS SE, 27" Crossover 27QW HDMI IPS LED, $345.98, and 27" Achieva QH-2700-IPSMS Lite Edge, and the only one of them which appealed was the Evolution II. But the 30" monitor I purchased had the specifications I wanted, and the extra inches of screen space is extremely useful and does make a difference.

I think I will try the 30" Crossover 30X Black Tune IPS LED next. It has an extended color gamut with 99.5% of sRGB, 107% of NTSC, and 98% of AdobeRGB. There's a very detailed review here. It's in Korean, but Chrome translates it pretty well.

Most of the members [H]ere and on overclock.net want a monitor for multi-media related use which is why it is illogical to recommend a wide gamut monitor, especially since the best, affordable (<1000$) monitors are not wide gamut.

No one is telling you to recommend a wide gamut monitor 'for multi-media related uses', so this is once again an irrelevant point. I've seen you arguing on this forum with people who use wide gamut monitors for commercial purposes, and I note they were just as unimpressed by your posts as I am.

No it says nothing like that; 'Typically expressed by people who don't have one of these monitors, or who do have one [of these monitors] and have no idea how to test the color gamut or calibrate it [one of these monitors]'.

:rolleyes:

Because it's irrelevant to the point I made, which was that your claim all brand name 30" monitors were wide gamut. They aren't.

You can continually post this over and over and over, I already admitted I was wrong.

No you didn't use logic, you just made an invalid assumption. What you should have used was research and not made assumptions.

Dell 3007
Dell 3008
Dell 3011
Eizo SX3031W-BK
Eizo CG303W
Hazro HZ30W
Hazro HZ30Wi
Hazro HZ30Wie
HP LP3065
HP ZR30W
Lacie 730
NEC PA301W
Samsung 305T

All of these CCFL back-lit monitors are wide gamut and I left out six Achieva, Crossover and Yamakasi 30". A rational person would not think non-wide gamut CCFL back-lit 30" are still in production since the last name brand standard gamut 30" was replaced.

Why would I research further? All of the tested 30" from 2007-2013 are wide gamut.

I am so sorry for depriving a few people of knowledge about another mediocre, overpriced 30".

Irrelevant; Apple isn't. And remember this whole 'obscure' point of yours was an attempt to claim that the information you didn't know was hard to find or obscure, but it isn't hard to find or obscure; it's easy to find.

:rolleyes:

Look at this thread by Apple users.

zzzzz...argumentum ad populum. I bet the majority of those polled have never compared semi-glossy coating to a grainy matte coating. The ACD and iMac use edge-to-edge glass which is extremely reflective and makes blacks look gray (glass S27B970D next to a semi-glossy NEC P242W, both were calibrated and set to the same brightness and have the same measured black level), of course people are going to hate it. They switched from one extreme to another.

Check out one of the thousands of my posts in which I recommend matte monitors.

If you prefer logic it would be a great idea to use it. This 'appreciate the effort artists put into the content they create' nonsense is not logic.

So it is logical to recommend more expensive, worse performing wide gamut monitors to those who want a monitor for multi-media related use.

I said absolutely nothing about your intelligence.

implied &#8800; said.

I didn't pay 50% more, and what I received was the monitor with the specifications I wanted as opposed to one with specifications I didn't want. I looked at reviews of the 27" Crossover 27QW IPS LED, 27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution II, 27" Yamakasi DS270 IPS SE, 27" Crossover 27QW HDMI IPS LED, $345.98.

Cool, you don't know how to use ebay's search function. Yes 50% is slight exaggeration but many of the 27" Korean monitors sell for around 300-320$ vs. 440$ for the First from the site you linked earlier.

I think I will try the 30" Crossover 30X Black Tune IPS LED next.

Enjoy the overshoot ghosting.

Last edited:
...and not all 30" CCFL monitors have wide gamut panels.
Could you have maybe just added your experience to the thread in a positive manner without the walls of text...?

I don't think anyone said "all 30" panels have been wide gamut since the beginning of time." Just that "all currently shipping 30" are wide gamut." The ACD you keep bringing up has been discontinued for 4 years, so I don't see how it is relevant.

You found one example of an obscure manufacturer apparently using a 7-year old panel. Commendable, and for that we thank you. But certainly an exception. All the research in the world wouldn't have mattered, since there are zero reviews and the manufacturer claims 1.07B colors in their specs. (ie, they have no clue what the hell they are actually selling.)

Apple Cinema Display - Dell 3007... All of these CCFL back-lit monitors are wide gamut
afaik there was never a wide gamut version of the ACD. Given Apple's eternal lack of wide gamut support in OSX, such a thing would have been inconsistent and kind of f*ed with their "Pro" user base. The Dell 3007WFP specs at 16.7M colors as well.

Back