Playing RTS Games Improves Your Cognitive Flexibility

HardOCP News

[H] News
The good news: A new study shows that playing real-time strategy games improves your cognitive flexibility. The bad news: No one has ever picked up a girl by bragging about their cognitive flexibility. :D

Training in action video games can increase the speed of perceptual processing. However, it is unknown whether video-game training can lead to broad-based changes in higher-level competencies such as cognitive flexibility, a core and neurally distributed component of cognition. To determine whether video gaming can enhance cognitive flexibility and, if so, why these changes occur, the current study compares two versions of a real-time strategy (RTS) game.

seems strange to be reading about the Air Force using StarCraft to determine whether RTS games increase cognitive flexibility (and using The Sims 2 as their control).

Which would be better...

Bragging about your RTS prowess in a pickup line, or just slapping down that spanking new League of Legends credit card?

Larry, is that you?

Which would be better...

Bragging about your RTS prowess in a pickup line, or just slapping down that spanking new League of Legends credit card?

Larry, is that you?

Bah! Nothing gets the women like bringing along your dildo-bat replica from Saints Row III to the bar...

I feel that playing Quake Live competitively has increased my "Cognitive Flexibility" ....yer not getting any more twitchy then playing against other quake players that have played for what almost 20 years....

Bah! Nothing gets the women like bringing along your dildo-bat replica from Saints Row III to the bar...

Oh, you'll attract all kinds of attention with one of those all right.... then again, I guess it's in a league of it's own!

Won't it be cool if there is a course in school where kids are there just to play RTS games for an hour, 2 days a week?

With that being said maybe the genre should be much more crowded than what it is...smh.

They failed to mention how it affected cognitive dissonance. Like, I play lots of game so I'm cognitively flexible! Why don't girls like me!

Back