Ubuntu Edge Indiegogo Campaign Falls Short of Goal

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Canonical has failed in its attempt to raise $32M in crowdsourced funds, attaining less than half of the target goal after 30 days. This does not signal the end for the Ubuntu Edge smartphone, just a new beginning, according to Canonical.

All of the support and publicity has continued to drive our discussions with some major manufacturers, and we have many of the world’s biggest mobile networks already signed up to the Ubuntu Carrier Advisory Group.

Nice idea, but the problem just doesn't exist for many people --even some tech people --They just treat their phone as an appliance. May as well be a toaster. All the network services is the data sync. I don't need it to be my computer too. That and it would be far too slow even for web browser. Desktop CPUs are significantly faster, though it's hard to find a consistent profile / measurement.

They just asked for way too much. The most funded Indiegogo campaign was only $1.6 million. Even the most funded Kickstarter campaign was still only $10 million.

quite frankly the device was nice, but it was expensive ,lol, if interest on the idea is what they were after it seems they somehow made a point, but they should have learned from MS Surface, that not all people would bet down their cash for a premium item, they should learn from how google is executing things (Nexus line of smart devices)

quite frankly the device was nice, but it was expensive ,lol, if interest on the idea is what they were after it seems they somehow made a point, but they should have learned from MS Surface, that not all people would bet down their cash for a premium item, they should learn from how google is executing things (Nexus line of smart devices)

But as far as I know, the Motorola Atrix is the only one they can compare to- and that one kinda failed too.

Back