Browsers that support 120hz monitors

DarkUltra

Weaksauce
Shouldn't be the responsibility of the browser; its the OS thats responsible for outputting images to the screen. Maybe IE is smoother because its more tightly integrated?

Shouldn't be the responsibility of the browser; its the OS thats responsible for outputting images to the screen. Maybe IE is smoother because its more tightly integrated?
Browsers are still responsible for properly frame-pacing to the screen (e.g. synchronizing to VSYNC, and using exact pixel steps during scrolling, for the "perfect silky smooth scrolling effect"). This is where IE10 does a good job at scrolling (but not animations).

Other browsers can also do something similar to improve smooth scrolling:
-- Opera 15, with the "--enable-smooth-scrolling" command line switch
-- Chrome, with the Google Chromium Smooth Scroller extension

Smooth scrolling support is not the only criterion of a browser's support for 120Hz computer monitors. Ability to do 120fps JavaScript animations is also another issue that web browsers have (only 4 out of 5 browsers succeed).

Also, unfortunately, although IE scrolls nicely, Internet Explorer does not do 120Hz web animations:
www.testufo.com

Please see:
www.testufo.com/browser.html
"Internet Explorer Does Not Support 120Hz Animations" (only scrolling)

View these pages in Chrome, FireFox 24+, Opera 15+, Internet Explorer.
You'll see Chrome/FF24+/Opera15+ animates smoothly at 120fps, but IE animates only at 60fps.

And here's my testing:

It was discovered that Internet Explorer has a built-in frame-rate cap of 105fps for HTML5 animations. This bug has already been reported to Microsoft.

IE 120Hz support is limited to scrolling, not animations. For now, use Chromium Smooth Scroller plug-in for Google Chrome, to get the smooth scrolling, while getting the benefits of 120Hz web-page animations (e.g. www.testufo.com which does not successfully animate at 120Hz in Internet Explorer)

If you have a 120hz monitor, only IE10 is butter smooth at both scrollbar scrolling and mouse wheel scrolling. I prefer other browsers than IE so I hope to create some mind-share about this. :cool:
IE11 is even better, in my opinion.

Back