Waiting Is Over: Sony Announces PS4 Launch Date

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you had a pool going on the date of the new PlayStation 4 being released and drew a date sometime in October, you just lost. :D

Floating through the PlayStation 4 user interface, the company showed how seamless it would be to see online games in progress before joining up in an instant. It’s expected that this online gameplay system will be launched at the same time as the PlayStation 4 itself.

I came here expecting announced of an announced. I am disappoint

Last month I couldn't decide what I wanted for my birthday, looks like ill be getting a ps4

It always assumed the Nov 15th, atleast we have an official date now.

Well then MS is going to be locked into a 15-21st release period. Good.

Sony is making some seriously good moves with this console launch. Seems a corporate as big as Sony can actually learn something once in a while.

Well then MS is going to be locked into a 15-21st release period. Good.

Sony is making some seriously good moves with this console launch. Seems a corporate as big as Sony can actually learn something once in a while.

Or Nov 1-14 period.

what, u can't put the date in the [H] article, I have to click on the source? ;(

grrr.grrrr :mad:

Hey don't knock it. Source of those clicks counts to Kyle and company to keep giving us good solid reviews! :)

Now will they start doing console reviews and comparisons of games and how they translate to PC with PC game play/performance compared to PS4 and Xbone?

So... Nov 15, 2001 was the day the first xbox was released, funny coincidence?
Big product released right before the post-Thanksgiving holiday shopping madness? Doesn't seem like a coincidence at all to me.

I canceled by guaranteed PS4 order from Amazon. Decided to wait for reviews of both systems, etc. This is in part because I have a 360/PS3 and a wii and the new systems will not run old games. So that means one of the systems would have to go (out of room). At this point I'm not sure if I'm ready to get rid of any of the systems and buy all new games. My PC can play games I've had for 20 years. sigh...

i canceled my pre order also, sounds like most of the games i want are coming to pc any way.

only 2 games left on my watch list that dont have a pc release confirmed yet is deep down and destiny.

Or Nov 1-14 period.

I'm doubting that window. Originally MS was going to launch in many more markets but due to demand they cut it down to 13 countries so I doubt they could afford to go that much earlier over Sony at this point because it would simply lead to a Holiday shortage which I think is something but MS/Sony have no interest in. Holiday shortages while creating hype and desire do not translate into better sales , meeting demand is often the best solution.

I am having thoughts of selling mine. There are literally no compelling games that won't also be on PC.

I canceled by guaranteed PS4 order from Amazon. Decided to wait for reviews of both systems, etc. This is in part because I have a 360/PS3 and a wii and the new systems will not run old games. So that means one of the systems would have to go (out of room). At this point I'm not sure if I'm ready to get rid of any of the systems and buy all new games. My PC can play games I've had for 20 years. sigh...

I don't really see the big deal with this. Honestly, in the last 30 years how many systems could natively play older games? Don't get me wrong, there are some. But it is certainly not a "precedence".

And on your PC example, Windows 7 can not natively play DOS games either. Only through 3rd party emulators do they work anymore. Although technically, "20 years" doesn't cover DOS any more :)

I'm doubting that window. Originally MS was going to launch in many more markets but due to demand they cut it down to 13 countries so I doubt they could afford to go that much earlier over Sony at this point because it would simply lead to a Holiday shortage which I think is something but MS/Sony have no interest in. Holiday shortages while creating hype and desire do not translate into better sales , meeting demand is often the best solution.

A week or two isn't going to make a big difference in shipment to the US. The race has never been about who would be first to launch but more on making sure it's out before Black Friday.

A week or two isn't going to make a big difference in shipment to the US. The race has never been about who would be first to launch but more on making sure it's out before Black Friday.

Its the holiday season , a week or two can make or BREAK your launch during that time. Its the biggest time of the year for retail/web sales.

Being first to market is a big fucking deal. Being first to market has also made or broken console launches. People know that there won't be any Black Friday deals on next gen consoles , they don't want to sell them at a loss so the best you can hope for if you are willing to deal with possibly being trampled to death is maybe a next gen console with an extra controller or a free game.

I don't know anyone that is willing to stay up after Thanksgiving until the next morning to get something just so you can get a free controller/game with some BS bundle.

Everyone knows that the best sales of the year are right before Christmas day. THEN you'll find quick and great sales on stuff even brand new.

About the only item that is worth doing Black Friday camp outs for is a large HDTV. Last year it was a 50 inch Panny Plasma 1080p for $399 but even then each Best Buy only had about 10 of them so if you weren't in line you might as well fuck off. Black Friday is a massive sham that is about attracting the wheeler and dealer but most stores RARELY carry enough stock to last more than an hour or two before selling out of worth while items.

But every mom and dad that didn't bother doing early Christmas shopping will be ready to chop off someone's head to get that next gen console little Joe and/or Mary has been talking about for months. That is always the best time to strike as a retailer , I worked 5 Black Friday's throughout my life when I worked in retail. I always felt sorry for people who camped out only to be screwed by purposely lowered inventory.

I suppose Microsoft can really cut into PS4 sales if they were to have an xbox one release coincide with COD Ghosts/bundle for Veterans Day, November 11th. :eek:

Doesn't matter when it will come out. You are not E.

This was always my favorite Playstation slogan. I remember getting the official Playstation magazine and getting excited every time it played when you popped in a demo disk. They need to bring this one back.

Its the holiday season , a week or two can make or BREAK your launch during that time. Its the biggest time of the year for retail/web sales.

Being first to market is a big fucking deal. Being first to market has also made or broken console launches. People know that there won't be any Black Friday deals on next gen consoles , they don't want to sell them at a loss so the best you can hope for if you are willing to deal with possibly being trampled to death is maybe a next gen console with an extra controller or a free game.

I don't know anyone that is willing to stay up after Thanksgiving until the next morning to get something just so you can get a free controller/game with some BS bundle.

Everyone knows that the best sales of the year are right before Christmas day. THEN you'll find quick and great sales on stuff even brand new.

About the only item that is worth doing Black Friday camp outs for is a large HDTV. Last year it was a 50 inch Panny Plasma 1080p for $399 but even then each Best Buy only had about 10 of them so if you weren't in line you might as well fuck off. Black Friday is a massive sham that is about attracting the wheeler and dealer but most stores RARELY carry enough stock to last more than an hour or two before selling out of worth while items.

But every mom and dad that didn't bother doing early Christmas shopping will be ready to chop off someone's head to get that next gen console little Joe and/or Mary has been talking about for months. That is always the best time to strike as a retailer , I worked 5 Black Friday's throughout my life when I worked in retail. I always felt sorry for people who camped out only to be screwed by purposely lowered inventory.

You are missing the point. It's not a problem unless it's released after BF, which its very unlikely to occur.

With both systems launching in the same month, I really don't think being first to market matters much. Look at the Wii vs PS3. The Wii released a week later and still flew off shelves and had supply issues for damn near a year in some places, and remained incredibly competitive through most of its life. In the case of 360 vs PS3 I think the 360 being first made a big difference, but your talking a year of market exclusivity, not a week or two.

The fact is, every single X1 and PS4 that is available to be sold on day one, will be sold on day one, either by way of pre-orders or people camping out. Being first won't translate to more hardware sales if you know you're going to sell every system on the shelves anyway. Likewise, being that the consoles are so similar, a vast majority of gamers are going to chose between one or the other, and they will have made up their mind regardless of which is coming first. Even the gamers who do plan to get both up front probably already have it in their head which games they want on which system, regardless of launch date.

About the only way I could see it making a noticeable difference is if MS has enough stock on hand to keep the system readily available throughout their small period of exclusivity. If that happens, they could win people over on impulse buys who failed to pre-order a console and think that may be there only chance to get on the next-gen bandwagon. But that ONLY works if there are consoles to sell. If there are any sort of supply issues, it just won't matter.

I think it's safe to say MS will probably chose to launch a week before the PS4... if for no other reason than because they have. But I really don't think it will matter, and I think Sony knows this, which is why they chose to nail down a release date first.

Either way by November 15th I'll be playing one or the other. Can't wait I love new shiny thing's.

I want to get excited but I just can't. Gone are the days when new consoles wow'ed the hell out of me through their amazing graphics and features. Now I'm just hopeful it limits the amount of "dumbing down" they have to do so my PC games look better.

Then again, having said that, I'm sure I'll still pick one up. Certain games just play better on a console, like shooters and side-scrollers.

I want to get excited but I just can't. Gone are the days when new consoles wow'ed the hell out of me through their amazing graphics and features. Now I'm just hopeful it limits the amount of "dumbing down" they have to do so my PC games look better.

Then again, having said that, I'm sure I'll still pick one up. Certain games just play better on a console, like shooters and side-scrollers.

I was in 100% agreement until you said shooters play better on a console..WTF are you thinking? A KB/Mouse combo will always destroy a console controller, and the in game experience is way better on a PC due to the better grapics/eye candy..

As for side-scrollers, isn't that why you plug your 360/PS3 controller into the PC??:confused:

I was in 100% agreement until you said shooters play better on a console..WTF are you thinking? A KB/Mouse combo will always destroy a console controller, and the in game experience is way better on a PC due to the better grapics/eye candy..

As for side-scrollers, isn't that why you plug your 360/PS3 controller into the PC??:confused:

Not first person shooters. I meant shooter as in shoot-em ups.

Back