Dell Dumps Standalone XPS 10

Windows RT is a lot like an unpopular version of Psion's EPOC. Then again, at least Psion devices generally had keyboards and no one made the mistake of trying to sell them as just screens. When Dell starts to totally unload these things like they did with the Streak...wait...they'll still be pretty much not usable.

Windows RT is a lot like an unpopular version of Psion's EPOC. Then again, at least Psion devices generally had keyboards and no one made the mistake of trying to sell them as just screens. When Dell starts to totally unload these things like they did with the Streak...wait...they'll still be pretty much not usable.

Not useable? How so?

Also, these would have sold much better had they started out at $299 with a much less expensive keyboard dock. ($179 with a keyboard dock with touchpad? :confused::eek:) Unless that has an extended battery, it is definitely not worth it.

I paid about that much for me Acer W500 which comes with a keyboard dock and Ethernet port. (Mind you, the keyboard is not that good but it works fine for what little I need it for.) My Acer W500 is also faster than that RT model and runs Windows 8 Pro.

Not useable? How so?

Limited cat-friendly apps, mostly and with limited sales compounded by a lack of available hardware, there won't be many people interested in making apps that interest cats or are related to things like care and feeding of cats.

Hey, I love cats but I cannot have a pet where I live. Even if I could, I would not let my cat play with my tablet. :D

Hey, I love cats but I cannot have a pet where I live. Even if I could, I would not let my cat play with my tablet. :D

No pets allowed? :eek: That's seriously a good reason to go somewhere else. I'd never live anywhere I couldn't have a cat. Anyhow, cats love tablets and there are a lot of great apps for them on other platforms. Most cats would never do anything to hurt a tablet, but I guess you have to know your specific kitty's personality.

They're OMG cute when they're playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZsUmoZaivg

Limited cat-friendly apps, mostly and with limited sales compounded by a lack of available hardware, there won't be many people interested in making apps that interest cats or are related to things like care and feeding of cats.

Didn't realize that almost full desktop versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and now Outlook in 8.1 were used by cats.

I use mine extensively at my job and at home. Of course, I bought mine with the keyboard anyway. The keyboard dock has the second battery, making this thing have hellishly long battery life. I'll use it for about 3 days per charge, and that is with using it for SSH and remote desktop access to servers for a couple hours per day at work and reading on it with the Kindle app at home. I also have a couple games I play on it, but games that can be played at arm's length.

I don't watch movies or surf the net on it since that would just be stupid on a 10" screen. I have a 27" monitor on my main system. Using the tablet over the main system would just be useless. (Besides, surfing the net or watching movies on a tablet or phone would require keeping it close to your face, making it very bad on your eyes. You really don't want to get to retirement age with permanent nearsightedness and crossed eyes.) My main system is more than enough for that kind of thing. Plus, I have a HTPC hooked to my 42" TV that I use for watching TV shows or movies from the couch. Much better on the back than sitting at a desk or hunched over a tablet.

I would certainly not say the XPS10 is useless, but it has more specific uses than most other computers.

No pets allowed? :eek: That's seriously a good reason to go somewhere else. I'd never live anywhere I couldn't have a cat. Anyhow, cats love tablets and there are a lot of great apps for them on other platforms. Most cats would never do anything to hurt a tablet, but I guess you have to know your specific kitty's personality.

They're OMG cute when they're playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZsUmoZaivg

Pets in apartments and other rental properties tend to incur costly cleanup and repair bills at the end of a lease.

Also, if the tenant doesn't take care of cleaning up after their pets, you end up with a trashed apartment that smells of animal urine.

If I owned an apartment complex, I would probably not allow pets either. Not worth the extra cost of maintenance/repair.

Resident troll strikes again! Full thread derail in 10 posts.

Wow.
th

i use rt all the time and i dig it. much happier than i was with an ipad.

built all of my powerpoint presentations for my auto sponsorships with it in office. which netted me a free 750 dollar magnaflow catback exhaust and a 400 dollar cold air intake.

Back