Researchers Teleport 10,000 Bits of Information

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It doesn’t look like we will be transporting humans any time soon, but a team of scientists in Switzerland have managed to teleport bits of information across a distance without physically moving it.

This is different from the way computers typically transfer information, electrons carry information along wires or through the air via radio waves. In this case, no bit of data physically traveled along a route — instead the information disappeared from one location and reappeared at another.

^ No you don't.

That story is a great read and something very exciting.

just think, playing cs around the world with less than 10ms ping everywhere

Very skeptical. A distance of 6mm "inside a chip" is hardly credible--could do the same thing flipping bits with ultra-low power magnetic fields. Perhaps at distances of more than 6mm and outside of "a chip" the events would not be either possible or "instantaneous" (which would mean that nothing "quantum" had occurred at all.) Even simple "wireless" transmissions cause binary data to "disappear at one place and reappear in another" with distances of miles between transmitters and receivers--though of course not "instantaneously." I'd have to be convinced that this wasn't merely a case of unorthodox transmission and reception. With research money & grants growing ever more scarce, competition for attention in certain exotic areas is fierce.

Very skeptical. A distance of 6mm "inside a chip" is hardly credible--could do the same thing flipping bits with ultra-low power magnetic fields. Perhaps at distances of more than 6mm and outside of "a chip" the events would not be either possible or "instantaneous" (which would mean that nothing "quantum" had occurred at all.) Even simple "wireless" transmissions cause binary data to "disappear at one place and reappear in another" with distances of miles between transmitters and receivers--though of course not "instantaneously." I'd have to be convinced that this wasn't merely a case of unorthodox transmission and reception. With research money & grants growing ever more scarce, competition for attention in certain exotic areas is fierce.
I too am pretty skeptical. I'm not going to pretend to understand quantuam entanglement,
but that speed of light limit thing has been beaten into my skull pretty hard over the years.
Measuring whether or not something is instantaneous or traveling at the speed of light over a distance of 6mm sounds pretty freaking expensive, and maybe even impossible with our current tech.

I mean: 6mm = 0.006 m
c = 300,000 km/s = 300,000,000 m/s

0.006m / ( 300,000,000 m/s) = 0.00000000002 seconds = 2 x 10 ^(-12) seconds

Do we a have system that can reliably time that difference from sender to reciever?

I'll be less skeptical when, like TheBuzzer mentioned, I will be able to play Counter Strike on a server in Europe and get sub 50ms ping.

Story is a bit at odds

Whatever state the qubits were in the sender was reflected instantly in the receiving circuit.

Yet the title of the article
Researchers Teleport 10,000 Bits of Information in 1 Second
6mm/second is hardly instantly, in fact that's really slow. Another case of horribly article writing?

However the way I seem to recall you're not really sending any information via quantum entanglement, i.e. you can't physically flip a spin state of an electron and have that show up in the entangled body, that would break the entanglement, or more to the point if it didn't it would imply some sort of rudimentary FTL communication.

Well not quite, even quantum entangling follows the rule that nothing travels faster than the speed of light in vacuum.

You have to consistently keep it at sub zero temperature though, or once they reach that state they are forever entwined? That's the only drawback..

According to the preview of the original Nature article, quantum teleportation may only be achieved where classical communication between is possible Other sources support this classical communication requirement. The only novelty here seems to be that the researches are using an electronic circuit to transmit information instead of photons. In other words, this isn't something that would violate causality or allow FTL communication.

A few notes of importance:

Qubits != digital bits
Nothing is said about the error rate
Encoding and decoding the qubits isn't exactly "small" nor "quick" (yet)

I too am pretty skeptical. I'm not going to pretend to understand quantuam entanglement,
but that speed of light limit thing has been beaten into my skull pretty hard over the years.
Measuring whether or not something is instantaneous or traveling at the speed of light over a distance of 6mm sounds pretty freaking expensive, and maybe even impossible with our current tech.

I mean: 6mm = 0.006 m
c = 300,000 km/s = 300,000,000 m/s

0.006m / ( 300,000,000 m/s) = 0.00000000002 seconds = 2 x 10 ^(-12) seconds

Do we a have system that can reliably time that difference from sender to reciever?

I'll be less skeptical when, like TheBuzzer mentioned, I will be able to play Counter Strike on a server in Europe and get sub 50ms ping.

You are making a common mistake which is assuming that the laws of physics, as you can observe them at the macro scale, are also the exact same at the quantum scale. They are not. It is difficult to grasp what one cannot see.

At the quantum level, things like distance start to become meaningless via things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_nonlocality.

Stage7.jpg

Cool story.

I do that every day at home on my Wireless router, and my phone.
Traveling between two locations via a wave and traveling via two locations by simply appearing out of thin air are drastically different things.

Anyways, researchers have been able to teleport photons for a while. Glad to know they have moved up to actually sending data.

Quantum physics is pretty arcane, so I can understand why people have problems with it. The very idea of quantum entanglement is very strange, but the theory has been verified enough that I don't think there's much doubt the effect exists. Once two atoms are entangled, which usually occurs by having them exchange photons, a change in the quantum state of one is immediately reflected in the other regardless of distance. This has been verified. The information reflected by the state change is transmitted instantaneously to the other, but since no physical particles or energy is moving from one to the other, the speed of light limit does not apply. This *is* FTL transmission of information.

The big problem up till now was reliability in changing and detecting state changes. And even with this breakthrough the data rate is still not very high. But imagine having a 0 latency 10kbps link from say the Earth to Mars. That would be very valuable. Quite useful for voice communications, real-time monitoring & control of robots, etc.

The requirement for conventional communications is just to provide for that initial photon exchange.

This is different from radio which transmits the information using an electric field, which is energy after all and is limited by the speed of light.

I'm going to state the obvious and say that this info is worthless unless it can be repeated by another research team.

Science 101

You are making a common mistake which is assuming that the laws of physics, as you can observe them at the macro scale, are also the exact same at the quantum scale. They are not. It is difficult to grasp what one cannot see.

At the quantum level, things like distance start to become meaningless via things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_nonlocality.

yeah, but then this technology is meaningless if it can't be applied to larger distances.

The Pentagon has been doing this with our money already for decades, and they can magically make billions evaporate from thin air. I'm not impressed by this new form of sorcery.

yeah, but then this technology is meaningless if it can't be applied to larger distances.
Entanglement does not care about distance, the distance between two entangled atoms does not affect the instantaneous rate of change they simultaneously experience.

When I can get my Pizza in 8 seconds, I'll be impressed :)

Great! Now I'm expecting Star Trek style teleporters by the end of next year. Get to work!

When the hell are scientist going to listen? I want my harem holodeck program ASAP.

For those who want to understand more about the physics, especially those that have already read Hawking's A Brief History of Time, this is technically the spiritual successor: http://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Unive...&qid=1376943166&sr=1-4&keywords=brian+greene#

First, this ain't obvious shit. I took quantum mechanics as part of the core physics classes for physicists, I took quantum mechanics as an undergrad class, I took quantum mechanics as a graduate level class, I took quantum field theory as a graduate level class, and it still doesn't make much sense to me. I question how much people really claim understand it when they said the read a Brief History of Time (I read it) and *gag* The Elegant Universe (read this too... unfortunately)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I actually read the article and they did the same thing that everyone else has been doing. NOTHING. They claim they teleported quantum bits but they really didn't. What they did is observe a state change on entangled bits. That is not teleportation of information since the info can't be demuxed without a key. That key is still required to be sent over by conventional means.

You still cannot and never will be able to send information faster than the speed of light. I don't expect them to stop quantum experiments. I do hate it when they find some know nothing schmuck reporter to bling it up a little so they can get some more funding.

What this article claims is not what is happening and there is no way to send any actual information over a distance by quantum entanglement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaecUuEqfc

First, this ain't obvious shit. I took quantum mechanics as part of the core physics classes for physicists, I took quantum mechanics as an undergrad class, I took quantum mechanics as a graduate level class, I took quantum field theory as a graduate level class, and it still doesn't make much sense to me. I question how much people really claim understand it when they said the read a Brief History of Time (I read it) and *gag* The Elegant Universe (read this too... unfortunately)

When it comes to cutting edge science, I tend to put more stock in the people that start by explaining all the things they don't know and would like to find out about. The people that already know all there is to know about cutting edge science? They're probably in marketing.

Back