Google Is Now 40% of the Internet

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Sometimes it’s really difficult to get a handle on how much of the Internet Google actually affects. There is one sure way to find out and that rarely happens, but it did happen on Friday briefly when Google went down for the count.

But sometime we do get to have a good look at the real levels of traffic. And from one of those such looks we can now, reasonably safely, claim that Google is in fact 40% of all the internet’s traffic.

People use Google to search, it doesn't mean that Google owns the site they ultimately visit as the result of the search. Misleading statistics ftl.

Don't forget that tons of sites use Google's CDN for serving common scripts like jquery, as well as web fonts.

The Google outage basically broke all of the sites I run.

If you read the article, Google claims it was 50-70% of requests that received errors at the peak. That means Google is probably more than 50%-60%.

Breezes come and go like ripples in a pond by a sturdy rock thrown into it. What is todays fad will sink to the bottom over time.

For me, in Poland, there is a saying, "how do not know something, ask Uncle Google, he knows everything" xD

Breezes come and go like ripples in a pond by a sturdy rock thrown into it. What is todays fad will sink to the bottom over time.

Indeed, this whole internet thing... I'm not sure it's gonna catch on. Just like electricity. And plumbing.

Somethings are foundational. And it's hard to be better positioned than Google in the foundation of the internet.

excellent.jpg

Don't forget that tons of sites use Google's CDN for serving common scripts like jquery, as well as web fonts.

The Google outage basically broke all of the sites I run.
Ouch. Use Require to provide fallbacks to locally-hosted libraries.

Not on my PC, I use google news and occasional youtube, for search I use IXquick for search so I estimate google is about 2% here.

Wait Google went down. I somehow completely missed it. Guess I don't frequent the google sites. *shrugs* Ah well.

interesting to see how much traffic they add. So wait.. if Google and Netflix both go down at the same time does that mean the entirety of the internet is 404?

Oh wait. 20% would still be available. Whew. (Or would that just open the floodgates and everyone would see sub 10 MS ping response times?

Back