Windows 8.1 to Ship with Skype Pre-Installed

The same Skype that was rumored for a long while to use your internet connection by default to re-route calls -- basically making your computer into a gateway/hub that passes along information among the Skype network?

Supposibly, having Skype running idle according to the Skype FAQ might use up to an 'average' of 0.5kb/sec over a month. It doesn't sound like much -- I'll admit. What's 24/7 (assuming you leave your pc on all the time like a lot of enthusiasts) over a month of 0.5kb/sec work out to? 1.3GB. If you had an upload cap of say 5GB b/c you used a terrible ISP that say imposed a large upload-limit when you reached the 5GB cap, that could eat a good chuck of your free bandwidth each month just for being idle.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure: /...s-bandwidth-—-even-when-you-are-not-using-it/

I'm pretty sure I don't care if they include Skype or not. If I have a huge issue with it, I'll just install moar Linux. :)

Sucks for anyone in China since the spying is built-in with government supplied no-no keywords

Spying + a reason for the EC to extort another billion € fine sounds win-win to me.

I am sure that google will bitch about this, and have the EU sue microsoft and this will change.

Well, the first thing I will be doing is uninstalling Skype after I install 8.1.

I agree, that's what the Control Panel, Uninstall a program is for, but be careful, since they are now building some programs with combination usage.

In Office, Home and Student 2013, if you uninstall "Sky Drive", you will also uninstall the whole Office, Home, and Student 2013 suite of programs along with it.

When we get to Windows 9.xx, it will all be built in, and Microsoft will charge us a monthly fee, to use it?

Lol, how is this Front Page News worthy? Of course MS is going to have Skype bundled with their new OS. They own Skype and want to make sure it does as well as possible. The same 40% of people who use IE because it's their default web browser will use it and I'm sure some percentage will buy a premium account to get added functionality over the free Skype version.

I agree, that's what the Control Panel, Uninstall a program is for, but be careful, since they are now building some programs with combination usage.

In Office, Home and Student 2013, if you uninstall "Sky Drive", you will also uninstall the whole Office, Home, and Student 2013 suite of programs along with it.

When we get to Windows 9.xx, it will all be built in, and Microsoft will charge us a monthly fee, to use it?

That's been rumored, feared, and assumed that that will be the direction Microsoft will eventually lead Windows OS into.

A 24/7 cloud-connected, continuously updated operating system that will require a subscription fee per month or per year to use.

It'd be like Debian on a rolling release except you have to pay for it along with tacked on cloud services, media and app services, and customer support.

Doesn't the NSA do the same?

As far as we know Microsoft hasn't built a list of 1,100+ keywords into the local Skype client that gets logged and sent up to the NSA when they're triggered.

Microsoft willingly went into China to whore marketshare even at the cost of enabling the little guy - average citizens to be ground in the gears of that deeply paranoid chinese government more than they already were. Little bit different than the NSA situation which, granted, is also a mess but nice try.

Microsoft willingly went into China to whore marketshare even at the cost of enabling the little guy - average citizens to be ground in the gears of that deeply paranoid chinese government more than they already were..

Everyone on this forum has something made in China.

Yet one more reason for me to stick with 7.

One can not imagine the fucks about this that I do not give.

Probably not since you took the time to post about the fucks you supposedly do not give.

Skype is taking over as their IM platform, so it makes sense that it would be bundled app.

For IM purposes, Skype is bloated with useless stuff and a bad interface for the chat window. Of course Microsoft had to kill off Windows Live Messenger and force everyone on Skype although we do not need all the additional crap there.

Probably not since you took the time to post about the fucks you supposedly do not give.

Since someone else has already quoted you and the whole "no one is responding yet" part is over already...

Seriously? Do you have to progressively post in a more and more aggressive manner the longer a Windows 8.x thread lasts without someone acknowledging you until you finally get someone into a debate so you get the attention you want and can "command" the direction of the thread? Go back and read you responses. They're like a little kid getting more and more pouty about the adults not paying any attention. And it's all over opinions about a stupid piece of software. That's an unhealthy investment of emotion into a thing that most people don't care about which borders on obsessive.

There was nothing wrong with WLM, as usual Microsoft always introduces unnecessary changes which always pisses off their customers. Still using WLM by using a hack because Skype does not meet my requirements.

There was nothing wrong with WLM, as usual Microsoft always introduces unnecessary changes which always pisses off their customers. Still using WLM by using a hack because Skype does not meet my requirements.

In fairness to Microsoft, the desktop Skype client was a bloaty POS before MS got their paws on it.

That said, its no less of a bloaty POS in the time *since* MS has had their paws on it. And the Metro client - forget about it - half-assed and feature incomplete at best when comparing to the PC desktop client or even the mobile clients of iOS and Android. The Skype subsidiary's paychecks come from MS but continue to operate like their hearts really aren't into it.

Yet one more reason for me to stick with 7.

One can not imagine the fucks about this that I do not give.

Clearly, you do deeply care because otherwise, you would not have posted about it. :rolleyes: You are like the person trying to prove you do not care by going around and telling everyone you see that you do not care.

I am truly looking forward to the improvements and I do occasionally use Skype as well. I have not used IM clients in years nor do I install them anymore.

The irony of all of this kind of behavior is that Microsoft is ruining the possible PC Gaming comeback. Its ironic because the kind of crap MS is doing with the XBOX is the same type of crap they are doing with Windows. This is all really good for Canonical but I still don't see much gaming moving to Linux; I just see more people being frustrated with their PC's in general. Lots of people will stick with Windows 7 but then what happens when DX 12 is only available on 8.x OS? Remember when that happend with DX 10 and pissed people off holding onto their Windows XP?

I remember a year or two ago when my wife installed Skype on my laptop and I got some wierd game thing installed along with some odd background process.

The irony of all of this kind of behavior is that Microsoft is ruining the possible PC Gaming comeback. Its ironic because the kind of crap MS is doing with the XBOX is the same type of crap they are doing with Windows. This is all really good for Canonical but I still don't see much gaming moving to Linux; I just see more people being frustrated with their PC's in general. Lots of people will stick with Windows 7 but then what happens when DX 12 is only available on 8.x OS? Remember when that happend with DX 10 and pissed people off holding onto their Windows XP?

I remember a year or two ago when my wife installed Skype on my laptop and I got some wierd game thing installed along with some odd background process.

Well, wherever she downloaded that from, it was probably not the Microsoft site or even Filehippo.com. Sounds like she may have downloaded and installed it from one of those sites that use a downloader with a bunch of extra stuff that you have to uncheck.

I do not see where they are making Windows 8 into a bad platform at all. The thing is, they do need to make the built in store better so that it would be easier to use. Links are already provided in the store that take you to the site of the software for purchasing. It will be better when they make the store easier to use.

The same Skype that was rumored for a long while to use your internet connection by default to re-route calls -- basically making your computer into a gateway/hub that passes along information among the Skype network?

Supposibly, having Skype running idle according to the Skype FAQ might use up to an 'average' of 0.5kb/sec over a month. It doesn't sound like much -- I'll admit. What's 24/7 (assuming you leave your pc on all the time like a lot of enthusiasts) over a month of 0.5kb/sec work out to? 1.3GB. If you had an upload cap of say 5GB b/c you used a terrible ISP that say imposed a large upload-limit when you reached the 5GB cap, that could eat a good chuck of your free bandwidth each month just for being idle.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure: /...s-bandwidth-—-even-when-you-are-not-using-it/
Actually its 0- 0.5 kilobytes/sec while idle. So the math in the article presupposes the the worst case scenario, a constant 0.5 kilobytes/sec and not the times when it is at 0 kilobytes/sec:
"0.5*3600*24:43200.000 kByte per day (43 MB), #*30:1296000.000 kByte per month (1.3 GB)"
In my experience Skype when idle is not continuously using 0.5 kilobytes/sec.
I am by no means arguing that Skype is perfect and that it is not a bandwidth hog, but it is not as bad as that article makes it out to be.

I've been using skype for a long time since basically it started. Yes its a bloated piece of software you just can't quit with retarded survey that will always pop up. I wish I had better Voip program but I haven't found a good alternative. Once I have most of stuff in my datacenter I will just simply deploy a UM with most likely Lync or possibly another soft PBX.

Wonder which skype they will include, the crappy windows 8 app one or the desktop app one?

I have skype but when I'm not using it I make sure I completely close it. Some of these programs are annoying, you have to close it then right click it on the taskbar and click exit.

Only concern I have with skype in 8.1 is if its always running even if you close it completely.

the app store one is such a pita, infact all the apps for the pc ar pita.

the desktop ap for 8 is sooo much better, way more functionality and soo much better.

the app sucks big time, limited and stupid.

"Skype for Windows 8" is useless because it is metro and it takes up your entire screen. Who wants that on a PC?

They have the legacy version for desktops but Microsoft seems determined to kill the desktop (an action that will be their undoing since you can't replace the desktop with the metrosexual interface).

When the desktop app is killed, then i will move to another.. maybe teamspeak.. meh

the app is limited, you cant do the exact same thing in it as the desktop app..

very very stupid.

I refuse to use Windows 8 Apps/App store due to the fact that they use their entire screen. I don't need a picture of a screenshot opening on my entire screen. Same goes for my Skype sessions. I use my computer for multi-tasking. Windows 8 apps don't encourage that kind of behavior.

However, I love everything else about Windows 8.

Windows 8 should be renamed to Window 8. Singular.

Why? It still supports the same desktop windowing system as prior versions of Windows. The Windows 8 Skype app wasn't meant to replace the desktop app, it was meant to provide a lightweight tablet client for 8, it serves the same purpose as the iOS and Android versions. The only major function that I can think of that's in the desktop version but not the Modern version is screen sharing which is limitation of Modern apps since they are sandboxed like other mobile apps. You can snap the 8 app though, it doesn't have to be full screen and the snapping is quite nice for messaging apps.

Back