Bad Idea of the Week Award

attachment.php

An erect statue of Steve Jobs?
That just seems wrong on so many levels.

In 3rd world countries there are statues of bill gates because of his philanthropy.
In 1st world counties people want to create statues of Steve Jobs despite his lack of philanthropy.

Gg

"...erect a statue of Steve Jobs..."

What about a statue of an erect Steve Jobs? Maybe to signify how he made every iPhone owner bend over when shelling out multiple hundreds of dollars for a phone. Or thousands of dollars for an average performing computer.

But, in all seriousness, to the initiators of this Indiegogo thing.... GFY.

I still don't get what Jobs did that is supposed to make him some sort of modern-day DaVinci / Jesus hybrid. He was a salesman who could take existing tech and convince people that it was essential to life if he just put it in a shiny box.

LOL that's hilarious. It would be one thing if it ended up getting a couple grand but $108 lol. TBH I'm surprised. There are lot of apple fanbois with too much money out there would I would think have dumped $1000's on that. Some people treat Jobs like he was the second coming of Christ or something.

I've been to the remains of the colossus or Rhoads, Greece. In no way does the criminal Steve Jobs deserve such status.

Looks like a scam to me. I doubt 50k would be enough, even if it was half the size of the Statue of Liberty, lol.

Although Mr Jobs has a place in a pantheon of Silicon Valley pioneers I don't think he rises to the level of standalone recognition ... in the group of Gordon Moore, Robert Noyce, Bill Hewlett, David Packard, Jen-Hsun Huang, Andy Grove, Steve Wozniac, Larry Ellison, and other silicon valley pioneers and a few of the non-silicon valley types (Michael Dell, Bill Gates, etc) he deserves a place in the Pantheon, but not as the sole or lead figure ;)

The one modern figure who could claim the spot for sole recognition would be Bill Gates ... with as large a footprint of Getty or Nobel he deserves his place in History ... Jobs deserves recognition in the group but not as the only figure :cool:

Yeah, no thank you! Yes, he was a self-righteous leader with a vision, but he was also a horrible person. Having worked with this douche back in the late 90's, the best thing I could say about such a statue, should it be erected, is that I'd use it to pee on.

How about a statue of someone who did more than market other people's ideas and create the epitome of restriction and closed environement?

I couldn't begin to count the times I tried to do something on a Mac or iPod touch and couldn't simply because Apple won't let you, you poor pathethic profane child. Then it decided to corrupt my OS backup as it upgraded and lost 3 years worth of song rating and playlist editing (~5k songs) that I couldn't extract or copy without 3rd party programs. I remember going to a cousin and playing some music just to be totally unable to copy him some songs. Good Apple screwed me over right before the release of the iPhone 5, that I was waiting for, and allowed me to get something else.

I think their intro is a little forshadowing...
If you don't have a statue built in your honor, then who are you?

Forgotten, that's who.

Many, therefore, will rejoice at the idea that a campaign has been launched to crowdsource a statue of Steve Jobs.
$502 Raised of $50,000 Goal
56 days left

original.gif

I'm getting pretty sick of this already.

There are A LOT of accounts of what kind of person Steve Jobs was without the Hollywood treatment.
The man was a cruel, abusive, A-hole that treated people under him like sh*t. He himself was a self aggrandizing hack that was quick to seize upon other peoples ideas and claim them as his own.
This is the kind of person you burn in effigy not erect statues to.

I'm pretty sure Apple is the evil empire.
Looking back and seeing the first Apple retail for $666.66 should have been the biggest clue.

The statue should at least be the logo - a huge apple with a bite out of it. And the Android figure popping out of it as the worm that ruined it.

As long as the statue has him in a pose with his head between his legs sniffing his farts with a look of pure contentment and self-satisfaction with a plaque on the bottom that reads "Magically Revolutionary Game Changer", I'll contribute!

I'm trying to figure out why a guy who was good at selling stuff, like it was something radical, should get a statue, heck the guy that designed the iPod should get one, he saved Apple's arse...And that pick me up from Bill Gates probably helped.

Back