8 Superpowers Brought to You by Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
What does invisibility, mind control, sensory augmentation, super strength, super vision, mind reading, flight and immortality all have in common? They are all superpowers brought to you by technology.

Superheroes are unbelievable, and that's the point. But technology is quickly closing the gap between what is human and superhuman. Advances in cybernetics, aviation, and other areas have created a convincing argument that these physical limitations are only temporary—that one day we can read minds, turn invisible, fly, and live forever.

I think most philosophers would disagree. So would I. At some point, I would like to die.

Yeah, but if you have the ability to live forever and turn it off whenever you want, that wouldn't be half bad. "Alright, we TLC has "Honey BooBoo's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat granddaughter BooBooRific Good Time" time to die now.

Invisibility is still the most practical power for real-world use. Imagine being able to eavesdrop on anyone and steal anything.

Yeah, but if you have the ability to live forever and turn it off whenever you want, that wouldn't be half bad. "Alright, we TLC has "Honey BooBoo's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat granddaughter BooBooRific Good Time" time to die now.
I think I just threw up in my mouth.

I think most philosophers would disagree. So would I. At some point, I would like to die.

Have fun with that, oh wait you can't have fun when you don't exist anymore. I'll take living and experiencing new things, especially since we will one day leave this rock.

Living forever on this world, at this time, ain't all that exciting. I'm looking forward to commanding a starship in the 24th century.

In the meantime, the only thing that can kill me is if a sword takes my head.

Over 600 immortals have tried since my first Quickening in 1262.

Do ya feel lucky, punk?

Living forever on this world, at this time, ain't all that exciting. I'm looking forward to commanding a starship in the 24th century.

In the meantime, the only thing that can kill me is if a sword takes my head.

Over 600 immortals have tried since my first Quickening in 1262.

Do ya feel lucky, punk?

I see you're involved with that secret fight club we don't talk about.

You don't know that. Immortal, invincible to decease, etc. Why would want to die?

I'm not obsessed with myself. Death is part of life, and I'm OK with that. There is nothing negative about living a good, natural lifetime.

I'm not obsessed with myself. Death is part of life, and I'm OK with that. There is nothing negative about living a good, natural lifetime.

I am not obsessed with myself either, there is nothing Positive about dying.

there is nothing Positive about dying.

Sure there is. It creates space for new life and limits competition for resources.

Methinks you'll turn out like some disillusioned lich, sucking stem cells out of babies and living in dark tombs.

While I'm not of the mind that the whole "cycle of life" , I wouldn't mind not aging anymore... as long as it's just me and not everyone else. I do want the ability to die though. What happens if for whatever reason we don't invent interstellar travel and you're stuck on this rock while it's 2000° on the surface and you're like "damn it's hot... but I can't die!!!" or you're forever alone, or you do have space travel but fall into a star, eternal damnation!

People tend to forget that while they're living their never ending life...so are all the asshats they already wish would kick the bucket. Them and all the new eternal asshats being born every day...that you can't get away from them...EVER! :eek:

You don't know that. Immortal, invincible to decease, etc. Why would want to die?

You would if you were the last human, everyone else has died off and you're the last sentient being on the planet.

If humans have gone Galactic, then i'd prefer immortality.

You would if you were the last human, everyone else has died off and you're the last sentient being on the planet.

If humans have gone Galactic, then i'd prefer immortality.

There are plenty of sentient beings on the planet that are not humans. Humans taste good but I prefer eating plants anyway.

There was this Q that desperately wanted to die, though. Was bored or something. I am not buying it.

Better than dying.

Every time I pop up out of the ashes I look around and remember where I am, and when, and then I start sulking again. Believe me, staying dead is a better alternative than living on this world that the human race has managed to fubar. You get to die. I can't stay dead. My only consolation is eventually either divine intervention will fix this, your species will go extinct and the world will recover to something sane again, or the sun will burn the planet to a cinder and I won't have to worry about it anymore. Immortality is really overrated.

Have fun with that, oh wait you can't have fun when you don't exist anymore. I'll take living and experiencing new things, especially since we will one day leave this rock.

Yea, but eventually, after loving and losing so many times, your life probably has less meaning. Watching your kids get old and dying while you live on and on.... I don't want that.

Back