BlackBerry Says To Explore Strategic Alternatives

HardOCP News

[H] News
Too bad BlackBerry didn't put this much effort into making a product people wanted to buy. :rolleyes:

Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry, struggling to compete in a difficult market, has set up a committee to look at options, including joint ventures, partnerships or a sale of the company. In a statement released before the market opened on Monday, the company said board member Timothy Dattels, an investment banker and former Goldman Sachs executive, will chair the new committee, which will also include Blackberry Chief Executive Thorsten Heins.

I foresee patent licensing, and attempted patent lawsuits in the near future, followed buy a foreclosed sign on the Blackberry office, and patents sold off to the highest bidder.

Once an "industry leader", now a liquidation sale.

Lesson be learned, if you're unwilling or unable to adapt, then you won't be in business for long.

I say good riddance. I was happy to scrap the BBS .vmx when everyone switched over to Android and iPhone devices.

They should've jumped on Android a longggg time ago.

I still remember how much we used to have to pay for their damn enterprise license packs, arrogant s.o.b.'s. .. Now? F em

As a Canadian, I always hate to hear news of another Canadian company in trouble.

That said, I can't believe they were so stubborn in refusing to adapt. Maybe this will be a textbook example that they will teach of how to adapt and what not to do.

In 2007, I made the decision to move from a basic flip phone to a smart phone. I first went with the HTC Touch but I found it uncomfortable to use. Returned that and went with a Blackberry Curve 8330. I actually really enjoyed that and as the people that I knew also switched to Blackberry's, BBM was discovered. However, after a year or two, the fad seemed to end and the iPhone started to dominate. I found myself jealous that I was stuck playing brickbreaker while my girlfriend could play all sorts of cool games on her iPod Touch.

So when my contract was up for renewal, I made the switch to Android which I honestly don't see me ever leaving as I am quite happy with the Nexus series of phones I have owned since I switched.

I also just recently was upgraded to a new Blackberry at work. A Blackberry Curve 9320 (I believe that's the series number) which came out mid-2012. I'm honestly disappointed in it! After all these years the OS still feels the same along with the crappy browser. I realize the Blackberry Z10 this year but you honestly can't expect to arrive late and sober to a party when everyone else is drunk out of there mind and expect to have fun.

Too little too late I say.

As a Canadian, I always hate to hear news of another Canadian company in trouble.

That said, I can't believe they were so stubborn in refusing to adapt. Maybe this will be a textbook example that they will teach of how to adapt and what not to do.

In 2007, I made the decision to move from a basic flip phone to a smart phone. I first went with the HTC Touch but I found it uncomfortable to use. Returned that and went with a Blackberry Curve 8330. I actually really enjoyed that and as the people that I knew also switched to Blackberry's, BBM was discovered. However, after a year or two, the fad seemed to end and the iPhone started to dominate. I found myself jealous that I was stuck playing brickbreaker while my girlfriend could play all sorts of cool games on her iPod Touch.

So when my contract was up for renewal, I made the switch to Android which I honestly don't see me ever leaving as I am quite happy with the Nexus series of phones I have owned since I switched.

I also just recently was upgraded to a new Blackberry at work. A Blackberry Curve 9320 (I believe that's the series number) which came out mid-2012. I'm honestly disappointed in it! After all these years the OS still feels the same along with the crappy browser. I realize the Blackberry Z10 this year but you honestly can't expect to arrive late and sober to a party when everyone else is drunk out of there mind and expect to have fun.

Too little too late I say.

Too little too late? Have you tried it?

I have the Z10, and it's a damn good phone. I wish my iPad had this OS. I doubt any of the haters here have even tried it. Multiple people I know want to ditch their iPhones for it. Is it for everyone? No; but unlike the old platform, it actually has some strong points over the other platforms (and some weaknesses, for a certainty) and competes.

My point is that it's not that they can't make good devices. They learned a hard lesson and are making some good shit now. Perhaps it is too late but their problem is a public perception and marketing issue now.

Back