SLI or New Graphics card for BF4

poetic332

n00b
Hey. I currently have a PNY GTX 550 ti 1GB video card. It runs BF3 at High without issue and doesn't really overheat or anything.

What are you guys' thoughts... Would buying another 550 ti and going SLI be a good option for performance increase/price for the upcoming BF4 release? I can get one for about $75.

Or should I drop $200/250 on something new?

I guess what I'm wondering, would the $75 just be a waste? I don't really know how SLI works and if you're really getting any gains... is it just basically adding a GB of video memory? Or does it add something other than just the momory?

Thoughts?

It would be a waste to SLI 550ti's..they are not a very good card..actually Im surprised its able to play BF3 on high at decent fps. I would get a 7970, GTX 770 or GTX 780 with me leaning toward a 7970 because of price.

Wait. BF4 isn't out until late October, and AMD's new cards will be released by then.

Don't listen to people's biases and impressions. Here are the facts: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/39...gb_sonic_video_card_in_sli_review/index4.html

A 550 Ti in SLI will offer you approximately 5% less performance than a GTX 570. Now, if we extrapolate that benchmark into this one: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372, you will see that a GTX 570 is about even with a 7850.

So the $75 would not be wasted, but consider this: you can get a 7850 2GB used for less than $150. Now if it were me, I would sell your 550 Ti for $75, then buy a used 7850 or 7870. You are spending the same amount of money, but getting a single GPU setup that performs about 10% better than an older SLI.

Even better would be to buy a GTX 760, they go for $250 new. BF4 hasn't dropped yet, you can still wait and look for a good used GPU.

Makes good sense. Overall, I'm just going to wait. Also I figure when nvidia's new cards come out, other card prices will drop a little. Really don't want to spend more than $200.

Thanks a lot for your angle on this.

OP do not go for GTX 550 Ti SLI. a bad idea. wait for AMD Never Settle Forever bundle in August and get a HD 7950. unbeatable value for money. best card for around USD 250. ideal for 1080p gaming.

OP do not go for GTX 550 Ti SLI. a bad idea. wait for AMD Never Settle Forever bundle in August and get a HD 7950. unbeatable value for money. best card for around USD 250. ideal for 1080p gaming.

I second this. Serios value for money. Even the worse 7950s will get ~1100mhz. Some get up to 1200mhz core on air which is insane, matching 680 speeds!

Makes good sense. Overall, I'm just going to wait. Also I figure when nvidia's new cards come out, other card prices will drop a little. Really don't want to spend more than $200.

Thanks a lot for your angle on this.

Nvidias "new" cards already came out, and they're not exactly better.

The 780 is a cut down titan.
The 770 is a renamed 680.
The 760 is a renamed 660.

Back