Corsair Raptor M40 Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
Need a new mouse? Head on over to ocaholic and read their review of the Corsair Raptor M40. Here's a quote for those of you too lazy to click the link:

Last year, Corsair acquired Raptor Gaming, a maker of high performance PC gaming peripherals. Raptor Gaming is a well know brand which has an especially strong retail presence in Germany. Today we will analyze the new Raptor M40, equipped with an Avago ADNS-3090 sensor that features 4000 DPI resolution and the mouse itself costs a reasonable 59 US-Dollar.

So this mouse is basically the M65 but with two side buttons instead of that single "sniper" button?

Nice, exactly what I was waiting for.
M65
26-816-009-TS

M40
normal_CorsairRaptorM40_08.JPG

Basically a cheaper m60/m65. No sniper button, and what looks to be a plastic frame/body instead of aluminum.

^ THIS. What's with the performance category being in French? The rest of the article was in English.

I like everything about the M40 except that god-awful soft touch coating on its body. I'd buy a couple immediately if it had a hard shell body like my M65.

I like everything about the M40 except that god-awful soft touch coating on its body. I'd buy a couple immediately if it had a hard shell body like my M65.

It looked like just the white M65's had the hard shell body's? Not that I mind the white... I guess we can hope they make more options in the M40 with the hard exterior.

It looked like just the white M65's had the hard shell body's? Not that I mind the white... I guess we can hope they make more options in the M40 with the hard exterior.
Yeah, the hard shell feels so much better than the soft touch crap. One problem with the white is that it really shows off any dirt, smudges, etc.

so on newegg an M65 is 69.99 with a 10 dollar off promo code, an M40 is 59.99

I was about to order this as a backup gaming rig mouse expecting it to be 44.99 or so, but I might as well get another M65 (sniper button isn't bad even though I hardly use it, but I love the aluminum body on the M65)

EDIT: Hmmm, the M40 has a 20% off promo code I missed

Remember the M65 has Laser sensor, and M40 uses Optical.
yea I know, but I'm not sure there, I've had a great experience with the M65, however a lot of mouse snobs claim optical is far superior, and it has been a long time since I've used an optical mouse (i think anyway)

I prefer no noticeable acceleration or the closest to a 1:1 tracking ratio or exact tracking as possible, so I dislike the current laser based sensors because P.T.E. sensors use an extra axis to track via Doppler tracking (L.O.D. was "remedied" on Razer P.T.E. based mice via their dynamic C.P.I. scaling that caused the P.T.E. sensors tracking to not have a 1:1 ratio or similar), are too sensitive to vibrations, dust, and uneven surfaces, and the other popular laser based sensors are the Avago 9500 and 9800 that have ~5% positive acceleration and might not track well on cloth or other not so even surfaces, but this excludes the other laser sensors like the Avago 6xxx and Pixart.

Does the Razer Mamba 2014 have dynamic C.P.I. scaling too?

Edit: I meant the Naga 2014.

I found its thread, so let's see how long this takes:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1414182/naga-2014/30#post_20534281

Last edited:
I just wanted to make a note in here, I started re-playing the FEAR series which I do just about every October and discovered that the m40 and FEAR do not get along at all. The game is basically unplayable with the m40, *very* choppy with any kind of mouse movements, like it literally pauses for like a 1/2 a second with every mouse operation. I tried lots of different speed settings, usb ports (2.0 and 3.0) and finally plugged in my old DA and bingo, works perfect. I know this game is touchy with Logitech keyboard drivers, or so I have read, it gets very choppy. so I am guessing it's related to that "bug" somehow.. I'm just going to keep my DA handy. :)

Back