Xbox One's Game DVR Restricted To XBL Gold Members?

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this report is correct, Microsoft’s Game DVR feature will actually be restricted to Xbox Live Gold members. I've never heard of this site and no Microsoft representative was named in the report but it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility.

Game DVR, the Xbox One’s system for recording and uploading footage from users’ games will be restricted to Xbox Live Gold members. We contacted Microsoft to get confirmation that Game DVR features would indeed be limited to Xbox Live Gold members. Microsoft responded, saying “I can confirm that Game DVR features will be available to Xbox Live Gold members only.”

It would make perfect sense if they are integrating the DVR services into the online services. If they are doing anything shared or uploading it to share with other XBL friends, it probably has to upload to MS servers. MS has already made it clear in the past that there is no free ride when it comes to special features and XBL. The silver membership doesn't have much of anything other than downloading patches. Now why they can't include an offline option where it is only stored to the XB-1 HDD to be transferred to a PC or YouTube later is beyond me.

It would make perfect sense if they are integrating the DVR services into the online services. If they are doing anything shared or uploading it to share with other XBL friends, it probably has to upload to MS servers. MS has already made it clear in the past that there is no free ride when it comes to special features and XBL. The silver membership doesn't have much of anything other than downloading patches. Now why they can't include an offline option where it is only stored to the XB-1 HDD to be transferred to a PC or YouTube later is beyond me.

Same reason they won't let nongold members use Netflix even though it's so widely distributed now.

Another (minor) reason not to buy. I'm going to pull a Linus Torvalds and say, "Microsoft, F*ck you!"

Just like the 360 the One will be severely handicapped if you don't pay Microsoft the continuous Gold fees.

just another reason to dump micorsoft if true. as for me ive reserved my ps4 already coming from the first xbox then the 360. time to jump ship.

This thing reminds me of smart phones & data plans or cable tv & cable boxes/dvrs. It's gonna be riddled with ads and is designed to nickel and dime everyone.

Want a smart phone? You must pay for a data plan and if they catch you swapping sim cards into a smart phone and you don't have one no worries they'll just add it to your bill.

Want to use that data plan for tethering? No problem, just pay for the data plan that you're already paying for.

Want cable tv? Even though it's filled with commercials and ads and junk it's a rip off and requires renting our cable box.

Want HD cable tv? Pay more for the service you're already paying for.

Want dvr functionality? No problem, just pay more for the cable box that you're already renting which most likely is a dvr to begin with.

No thanks.

Almost forgot:

Want to remove the preinstalled apps / bloatware (aka ads)? Too bad. You're gonna take what we give you and like it.

Want a commercial free tv experience without the junk and shopping channels? Too bad. You're gonna take what we give you and like it.

haters gonna hate, Living in the US and living with itemized healthcare i can give a crap about paying for services when i need to pay shit like using the operating room and equipment in the operating room and the doctors all separately, if i can't expect any sort of inclusive deal with my healthcare i'm not going to expect anything out of my entertainment industry.

No problem paying for extra online features but netflix and similar apps is not acceptable. One of the reasons I got a ps3 and probably the same reason I will get a ps4.

It's gonna be riddled with ads and is designed to nickel and dime everyone.

Probably.
Want cable tv? Even though it's filled with commercials and ads and junk it's a rip off and requires renting our cable box..

You don't need to rent their cable box. You can buy your own TIVO with a Cablecard. You can get a tuning adaptor/cablecard for a HTPC.

Want dvr functionality? No problem, just pay more for the cable box that you're already renting which most likely is a dvr to begin with.

Same as above. There are more affordable ways around this. If you decide to rent a box instead of buy your own and it costs you more money in the long run, that's your fault, not the cable company's.

I'm on a hardware enthusiast site and am obviously aware of the alternatives and work arounds to the nickel and diming ways of these companies. It's not really my fault or my problem because I choose not to pay for cable tv or a monthly data plan but it definitely is for the the average non-technical person (who are the target demographic).

These are just my observations and 2 cents; I'm pointing out that the Xbox One seems very similar to other service based hardware: it's very gimmicky, scammy, and is designed to suck as much money out of everyone as possible while providing as little value as possible.

Why should anyone have to pay to pay to watch Netflix? This dvr service of theirs adds little to no value at all and yet its another double-dipping pay to pay service. Microsoft should either provide these services or not provide these services and stop making everything an additional service that is clould based and costs extra.

Recently it seems that every product they've come out with is purposely broken. I wish they would get publicly shamed and humiliated bad enough to stop this growing trend.

Oh the memories... I remember when cable came out and they boasted that if you pay a monthly bill not only will you get better reception but you will not have to put up with commercials ever again ! Lol I must say my Blu-ray burner is the best investment I ever made I just can't seem to get enough blu-rays muahahaha

You don't need to rent their cable box. You can buy your own TIVO with a Cablecard.

TIVO is just as bad in my eyes. After subscribing to cable tv and choosing to buy a tivo you then have to pay an additional monthly fee to them and purchase a cablecard. Also, doesn't tivo show ads all over their GUI? That's the worst of all.

Why should anyone have to pay to pay to watch Netflix? This dvr service of theirs adds little to no value at all and yet its another double-dipping pay to pay service. Microsoft should either provide these services or not provide these services and stop making everything an additional service that is clould based and costs extra.....

I agree to much of what you said but in this specific instance I do not think it applies.

A gaming (and now supposedly / "entertainment hub") console, one would expect to be able to play games and consume entertainment.

Gamplay recording, I personally consider an advanced option so I think Gold membership requirement is reasonable.

Though requiring gold membership to use the supposedly primary purpose of the device, to consume media aka Netflix and everyother online streaming service is insane.

imo even requiring gold for multi-player games is pushing it, since that is a BIG portion of the primary use of the console for many. Though I understand MS runs the servers so I generally let it slide...

Its like selling a car and for the low price of the XL package you can now turn right (playgames) AND left (consume media).

If true, people will be paying for aspects of more hardware they may not use.

Unless they crater the price of a gold membership, this is a bad move. They need to test the water quality there in Redmond.

Let me add to that a bit. This is not an externally served feature that needs Microsoft's servers to co-ordinate. This is capability that is already there and runs locally and you will need to pay to use it.

So you need to have an Xbox gold account to upload videos to the Xbox Live Service? Why is this a big deal or news?

Eh, I really don't give a shit. It wasn't a feature would use anyways. I've gotten used to the fact that most of the good features will only for gold members anyways.

I don't really care. Yes, I'd use some of those features (Netflix), but I already have a Gold sub for online gaming.

On the other hand, my Mom bought a used Xbox 360 for it's media capabilities and Netflix and such, not knowing you needed a Gold sub. I added her to my family pack, but if I didn't have that, she'd be paying an extra $60 a year for that access. She did upgrade to a Roku, though. Works much better for her. $50 (refurb) one time cost, and then you can access all your services that you subscribe to. A great model, I think.

If you're an online player that uses those, it's perfect. You already have the Gold. If you aren't an online player and want those features? Pay up.

Eh, I really don't give a shit. It wasn't a feature would use anyways. I've gotten used to the fact that most of the good features will only for gold members anyways.

This isn't access to servers or multiplayer or deals or media/gaming content. This is hardware you are paying for that you never get to use.

This isn't access to servers or multiplayer or deals or media/gaming content. This is hardware you are paying for that you never get to use.

Exactly. This wouldn't be a problem if you could still record and share your gameplay via YouTube or transfer it to a thumb drive. I highly doubt you can use this feature at all without forking over more money for something that's already been paid for.

Majority of the people will have a gold membership anyway if there that evolved into gaming that they want to stream... I dont see it as a problem.

The problem I see is that Microsoft is purposely making the XB1 useless without a gold subscription and an internet connection. You pay for the hardware, then you have to pay a monthly fee to use many of it's basic features that should be included to begin with.

Everything related to the XB1 seems to have a catch or is purposely designed to mislead customers. This list seems to grow by the day.

Requiring an internet connection, which they were eventually pressured into fixing.
Requiring a gold membership for basic features (dvr).
Requiring a gold membership for external services not related to Microsoft (Netflix).
Requiring an always connected and functional spy camera.

Almost forgot:

Want to remove the preinstalled apps / bloatware (aka ads)? Too bad. You're gonna take what we give you and like it.

Want a commercial free tv experience without the junk and shopping channels? Too bad. You're gonna take what we give you and like it.

Ha, you mean they show ads for gold members, too? lmao the console tards.

Ha, you mean they show ads for gold members, too?

They do. Assisted by the new Kinect:

“With the new Xbox One, the technology and Kinect has improved a lot,” a Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising tells StickTwiddlers.com. “so that actually the voice recognition, the way you speak to your Xbox and the transition between gaming and watching TV is a lot smoother, and hopefully we can transpire that into advertising that we do. ... On Xbox, the ad is part of the actual experience, it’s not something that is outside.”

Xbox One Dashboard Create "With Advertising In Mind"

Turning on the Xbox one is limited to Xbox live gold membership, Sony fans rejoice only to see the PS5 adopt the same policy.

Looks like Skype and other basic features are behind the paywall too like "Internet Explorer on your TV".
I didn't think it was possible for the XB1 to nickel and dime people even more. :eek:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live#features

So Microsoft add more features, yet still offering the same price for the Live membership...is somehow trying to nickel and dime? I am not supporting MS here, but I am not sure you understand what that phrase means. If all of these extra features, 'each' cost an additional fee, that would be trying to nickel and dime people.

Back