How-To: Restore Your Windows 8 PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
TechReviewSource has posted a how-to guide to restoring your Windows 8 PC for n00bs. And the countdown to "step one, get out your Windows 7 disk" comments starts in 3...2...1. ;)

System Restore lets you take your PC back to an earlier point in time, letting you restore your PC to an earlier state, in which programs and settings revert to the way they were in the past. Of course, the main reason for doing this is that you installed something that deteriorated the smooth functioning of the PC, and your aim is to restore the PC to a condition in which it runs well.

Very useful feature that's been around since XP but many turn it off. It's saved me a lot of grief on numerous occasions.

Very useful feature that's been around since XP but many turn it off. It's saved me a lot of grief on numerous occasions.
Unfortunately, most malware also kills the restore point, so hopefully Windows 8 has improved its security.

That is the main reason that people want to use system restore after all.

i screwed up my old dell when i first got it, so dell sent me system image on disk, i installed it and it was like brand new, hack before xp sp2 came out i installed it bunch of times and got 6 month of free aol everytime (this is back in day when dial up was still kicking) i still use it today once a year of course no need for aol but still keeps my pc running smooth.

Win8 Restore is the only remaining feature I hate about the OS. It's a headache if it can't fix the issue itself.
Prepare to loose all data and make a bootable USB. I got lucky on my last OS failure to boot, but it took a while for the OS to give me the option to use the USB.

Otherwise, WIn8 has been great.

OS Repair functions have really gone downhill after XP. Whoever thought it was a good idea to only make a repair install possible from within a running OS needs to spend a little time actually fixing machines.

It's made with Ballmer tech :)
I been using windows 8, but modified it with 3rd party programs. I use acronis for restoring. Haven't had to restore yet.

Just don't trust microsoft.

Unfortunately, most malware also kills the restore point, so hopefully Windows 8 has improved its security.

That is the main reason that people want to use system restore after all.

Main reason mine is off, and made an image before connecting to the internet.

I prefer to wipe everything and re-install the OS. Only way to be sure.

And posting clickbait stories means he's their troll leader.

A technical how to article on Windows 8 disaster recovery using a tool that's been in Windows for over a decade is a clickbait story?:confused:

Step 1: Insert Linux CD
Step 2: Install Linux

OK now I think we have covered the Win 7, OSX, and Linux group to fix Win 8 :p

restore is only good if you screw up a driver or corrupt a file. If you got a virus now days, doesn't matter if its a mac, pc or Linux you are %&*$# they will run through your whole system and jack up everything. Even if you cannot find any traces there is no way you can know for sure so you have to reformat the whole thing anyway. Learn to back up your shit people.

restore is only good if you screw up a driver or corrupt a file. If you got a virus now days, doesn't matter if its a mac, pc or Linux you are %&*$# they will run through your whole system and jack up everything. Even if you cannot find any traces there is no way you can know for sure so you have to reformat the whole thing anyway. Learn to back up your shit people.

Yeah no kidding anti virus programs are such a waste of time and money. Yet people still buy the shit, I don't get it. Maybe its the years upon years of brainwashing the industry has laid upon people that they actually work. Or maybe its just ignorance.

I hate restore points and the like. They never seem to really fix a system good enough to warrant the hassle. Especially when a clean install is guarantied to be a clean install (lol) and is usually my preferred method because installing is so much quicker (even taking into account re-installing applications.. its guarantied to be good-go).

And lets not forget how much space it takes up!!! Don't want that on my SSD thank you very much!

Forgot to say... i read through all the 8 restore stuff and it seems so... hmmm half assed. Made for the numptie. Seems to be so much hassle to MAYBE restore to a reasonable level. Do a clean install... no risk. Guarantied to work. Though i'm sure it is a useful option. I like options!

W8 is the best windows yet. This is not a matter of opinion. Only your liking it or not is. Except in some few exceptions, it is simply a faster, snappier W7. Going back from W8 to W7 is pure mule-headead idiocy. The thing just got a bad rep from metro, which can be changed back in 30 seconds thanks to something that has been around since like Win 98. The "I shouldn't have to get third party rah rah rah" is an inane argument. You already personnalize most of what you buy.

And posting clickbait stories means he's their troll leader.
Touche, but I'd like to word it as a Troll Herder.

A technical how to article on Windows 8 disaster recovery using a tool that's been in Windows for over a decade is a clickbait story?:confused:

This article obviously isn't clickbait, but let's not kid ourselves here. Every other article reeks of click bait sensationalism which sometimes you can tell he/she is being sarcastic. But it doesn't take much. You post anything about MS and you will get some troll saying how Windows 8 sucks.

Back