Intel Launches 7" And 10" Education Tablets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel has rolled out two new "education" tablets in both seven and ten inch flavors. According to Intel, these tablets give students unprecedented access to education materials, while also making it fun to engage deeper into scientific exploration and learning in "new and interesting" ways.

The Intel Education Tablet’s multi-touch display and e-Reader software enable students to access rich online content. Ultra-portability allows them to take the device to the field to capture data with the built-in camera and analyze it with Intel Education Software. They can collaborate with their classmates, while comparing their findings to others on the web. The Intel Education Tablet gives students access to a whole new view of their world—right at their fingertips.

This is a really smart move ... one of the best moves Apple ever made was when they gave the old Apple II generation to schools ... schools were locked into the Apple infrastructure for a decade or more ... if Intel can win the same devotion this could really help the Intel processor based tablets :)

Android tablet with a proprietary overlay, much like a Kindle Fire? Intel should also jump on the consumer tablet bandwagaon...big name like that in the market they'd sell like hotcakes on a cold Sunday morning.

I'll take a 7" with Windows, hold the mayo.

Speaking about 7" Windows tablets, I pulled this out of closet this weekend and installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview:
picture186.jpg

I hadn't turned it on in 18 months but it fired up just fine and installing 8.1 was a breeze. Unfortunately none of the Toshiba utilities seem to work and the screens are only 1024x600 so Metro apps only work by emulating 1024x768 which is a little fuzzy but overall it 8.1 works surprisingly well. Bad battery life and a very noisy fan when it's working hard but still a slick toy to be three years old. I'd love to see a new implementation of this device with Bay Trail or Haswell.

The only thing that makes this an education tablet is the word education in its name.

Where I work we're worried about the noise of various components. Someone made a 'silent' chain that was anything but silent. We had to fight management and co-workers for years wanting to use this chain because it was 'silent'.

Its a brilliant marketing move, but I guarantee there's nothing that tablet will do that another tablet without education in the name (of similar power) would be able to do.

This is a really smart move ... one of the best moves Apple ever made was when they gave the old Apple II generation to schools ... schools were locked into the Apple infrastructure for a decade or more ... if Intel can win the same devotion this could really help the Intel processor based tablets :)

Yes and now the whole world uses apple computers. Great success. :rolleyes:

They will not win anything, if you haven't clued in there is no such thing as loyalty anymore.

Yes and now the whole world uses apple computers. Great success. :rolleyes:

They will not win anything, if you haven't clued in there is no such thing as loyalty anymore.

At the consumer level there is no loyalty ... for government institutions like schools or for enterprise it is all about critical mass ... whoever establishes their presence strongly remains in a position of strength for a long time ... this is why Intel and MS are so prevalent in enterprise (even though alternatives like AMD and Linux have very vocal supporters from outside enterprise)

Apple may not have conquered the world but they had a virtual lock on the education market for years and preserved their little 5% market share long enough to diversify into other areas ... with a company who does care about market share, like Intel, breaking into the education market can both lucrative and good marketing ;)

Back