Asus Xonar DG vs alc 1150 codec

biggles

2[H]4U
If I upgrade to a Haswell cpu the z87 motherboard would have the alc 1150 realtek codec. Would it be wise to salvage the Asus Xonar DG from the old rig? Or would the onboard sound using the alc 1150 codec provide better sound?

One thing I know is that when I switched from onboard sound to Xonar DG on the current system (see sig, alc889 realtek codec), the sound quality improved a lot. I use old logitech z-680 5.1 speakers or Audio Technica ath-ad700 headphones. But I am assuming that the onboard sound solutions are steadily improving so that at some point regular folks like me would be equally happy with either.

More concise question: how do the following 3 sound solutions compare?
alc889 vs asus xonar dg vs alc 1150?

Always for years I have be using cards instead of onboard used to go out of my way to get boards without it now 1-3% on a CPU is nothing but it could still sound better.

Only way to find out is to try them both. Everyone has different ears and the setup you have is probably apples to oranges. You will probably get about the same sound from both but I have been told by one person that he prefers the onboard for 5.1.

All you can do is try both. No one can answer this question but you. I do know that with my old Gigabyte board the onboard sounded MUCH better than the DG. I personally hated the DG and thought it sounded terrible.

It also depends not so much on the audio chip used but the components that make up the rest of the audio.

Back